Trade deadline banter

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I like Cole. He has had 2 off years but the talent is there and he is still young. 27 in Sept. So a year younger than when they got Arrieta. But seeing a intraleague trade like that is doubtful. It would be more likely to see a cross town deal as both team only play each other 6 game per year and there is no in league issues.

I've said I like Q for Eloy and Jamier. That deal flat.

Cole holds almost equal value. Q has a better track record. Cole has age and a legit ace top end. So I'm guessing the same deal would work in that case also.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Rosenthal also writes that fans shouldn’t expect to see the Cubs trade any of their young MLB-level hitters this summer. He suggests that Kyle Schwarber, Willson Contreras, Albert Almora and even the less-experienced Ian Happ are all unlikely to be moved, though Chicago certainly has a number of upper-level prospects that would entice rival teams to part with talent that could help turn around the season for the reigning World Series champions. Rosenthal also spoke with right-hander Jake Arrieta at length in an interesting interview about his struggles this season. While the former Cy Young winner conceded that his workload in 2015-16 may be having more of an effect on him than he’d like to admit. As Rosenthal notes, virtually every member of the Cubs’ rotation that pitched into the World Series has had some level of struggle this season, and the same is largely true of the Indians.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Latest On Jake Arrieta's Free Agency
By Mark Polishuk | June 18, 2017 at 9:19am CDT

A rival executive believes Jake Arrieta will get “at least five years” in free agency this winter despite a shaky performance thus far in 2017. Arrieta’s 4.64 ERA over 77 2/3 IP could be in part due to some bad luck (a .319 BABIP, 65.8% strand rate and a spike in his home run rate), though his velocity and ground-ball rates are both down from last season and he is posting his highest hard-hit ball rate since 2010. A sixth guaranteed year could be possible if Arrieta can so easily obtain five years, Heyman reasons, though given the Cubs ace’s struggles and his age (32 next Opening Day), I have my doubts.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
On the larger trade front Gleyber Torres is out for the season with a torn UCL. That puts the Yankees squarely in the market for someone to play 3B which Torres was slated to ma as early as next week.

Calling Todd Frazier

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That is about right and is a solid match up.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Since the Pirates plan to contend in 2018, they could pursue a “soft sell” at the deadline rather than unload major pieces, Fangraphs’ Travis Sawchik writes. This would mean keeping big names like Andrew McCutchen or Gerrit Cole unless they receive offers too good to ignore, while perhaps being open to moving the likes of Josh Harrison, David Freese, Juan Nicasio or other bullpen arms. As Sawchik points out, the Bucs already used this kind of “soft sell” to great effect last summer, when they dealt Mark Melancon to the Nationals and unloaded Francisco Liriano’s contract on the Blue Jays. Pittsburgh received a good young relief arm in Felipe Rivero for Melancon, and the money saved by moving Liriano allowed the Pirates to re-sign Freese and Ivan Nova, who has become a rotation staple. (Nova himself was a deadline pickup last year, a sign that the Pirates weren’t merely focused on selling.)

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Since the Pirates plan to contend in 2018, they could pursue a “soft sell” at the deadline rather than unload major pieces, Fangraphs’ Travis Sawchik writes. This would mean keeping big names like Andrew McCutchen or Gerrit Cole unless they receive offers too good to ignore, while perhaps being open to moving the likes of Josh Harrison, David Freese, Juan Nicasio or other bullpen arms. As Sawchik points out, the Bucs already used this kind of “soft sell” to great effect last summer, when they dealt Mark Melancon to the Nationals and unloaded Francisco Liriano’s contract on the Blue Jays. Pittsburgh received a good young relief arm in Felipe Rivero for Melancon, and the money saved by moving Liriano allowed the Pirates to re-sign Freese and Ivan Nova, who has become a rotation staple. (Nova himself was a deadline pickup last year, a sign that the Pirates weren’t merely focused on selling.)

I dont think the Pirates need to be wowed for Clutch. They tried to move him most of the winter. I dont think the next rebuild or retool includes him. If the suspension never happened with the other dude, he might be gone now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Mets are in sell mode.

5:56pm: Unhappy about being bumped to second base upon his activation today, Cabrera says he has asked to be traded. (Video via MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo, on Twitter.) He also suggested he indicated a willingness to move to another part of the diamond earlier in the year if the team would pick up his 2018 option, but the Mets weren’t interested (via another DiComo tweet).

He would be a good target to boost up MI depth with Russell having shoulder issues.

New York will be looking for answers at several positions next year. Third base remains an open question with David Wright still unavailable and Reyes slated to return to free agency, while it’s still unclear whether the team will exercise its option over Cabrera. Even if top prospect Amed Rosario steps in at short, Cabrera could conceivably take over at second for the departing Walker or even slide over to the hot corner. It’s possible that youngster Domonic Smith could take over for Duda at first, though otherwise that’s another area with questions.

Candelario makes perfect sense as a trade chip.

Olney looks at the Mets’ situation heading into the deadline, as the team is open to moving veterans with an eye to creating payroll and roster space to reload for another run at contention next year. Another big-picture question is what the Mets will do with Matt Harvey, as the former ace has continued to struggle with injuries, performance, and off-the-field controversy. It seems like Harvey won’t be in a Mets uniform once his contract is up after the 2018 season, so Olney feels New York could try to move him in a trade or perhaps even non-tender Harvey after the year.

It almost seems like the right match up right now. Give them a package centered around Candi for Harvey and Cabrera. It adds to the MI depth and allows Baez to be shifted to 3B more to free up Bryant to play some corner OF. Seeing how the Mets are concerned with 2B and 3B Candi with LaStella or Young (depending on who they like better) then toss in Clifton from AA. He most likely is a gamble on developing anyways. Mets have a better chance of making him a finished product then the Cubs are.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Harvey does not strike me as the type of personality the cubs would go after. He seems the anthesis of the culture the cubs aim for.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Harvey does not strike me as the type of personality the cubs would go after. He seems the anthesis of the culture the cubs aim for.

Success makes players happy

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
It would sure appear that barring something really surprising Sonny Gray is the Cubs trade target. Houston has been linked to him for some time and now Boston has gotten in the mix. The more teams in on him the higher the price and you have to wonder how highly the FO values him. Going to be an interesting few weeks coming up here.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
It would sure appear that barring something really surprising Sonny Gray is the Cubs trade target. Houston has been linked to him for some time and now Boston has gotten in the mix. The more teams in on him the higher the price and you have to wonder how highly the FO values him. Going to be an interesting few weeks coming up here.

the more teams that enter, the less chance for the Cubs to land him since they are unlikely to unload young guys off the 25

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I'm not sure that the Cubs are a match in talent that they would be looking for. Cubs main trade chip is Candy. A's have Ryon Healy. Franklin Barreto promoted to play SS. So no need for a MI. Catcher is a maybe. So they could target the Cubs there.

But the thing that they would want in return is pitching prospects. I could see them aiming for Adbert Alzolay and Oscar De La Cruz.

So Looking at it they could go Sonny Gray for Adbert Alzolay and Oscar De La Cruz and Victor Caratini. That honestly is his trade weight. I personally believe it is too much to give up for a 3 on the team. You add Eloy to that and you can get a legit 1 in Archer.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
the more teams that enter, the less chance for the Cubs to land him since they are unlikely to unload young guys off the 25

I believe he is the hot ticket because teams will go into it thinking that they can get him for 2nd tier prospects. If the A's start asking too much then teams will either go to the Mets for Harvey if they dont want to pay that amount. Or if they are getting into blue chip they would rather get a pitcher worth that deal in Q who should be on the market also.

Q= 2
Gray=3
Harvey=4

Q would cost Eloy and Candy
Gray would cost 3 guys not on the top 100 or 1 top 100 and one fringe.
Harvey would be a change of scenery target or be had for a prospect like Rob Zastryzny.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

The A's want prospects, always do. That said Houston and Boston might have more attractive ones and the Yankees certainly do and have speculation is that they would move Clint Frazier in the right deal.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure that the Cubs are a match in talent that they would be looking for. Cubs main trade chip is Candy. A's have Ryon Healy. Franklin Barreto promoted to play SS. So no need for a MI. Catcher is a maybe. So they could target the Cubs there.

But the thing that they would want in return is pitching prospects. I could see them aiming for Adbert Alzolay and Oscar De La Cruz.

So Looking at it they could go Sonny Gray for Adbert Alzolay and Oscar De La Cruz and Victor Caratini. That honestly is his trade weight. I personally believe it is too much to give up for a 3 on the team. You add Eloy to that and you can get a legit 1 in Archer.

I think if Tampa Bay was willing to part with Archer that Theo would find a way to get that done. Considering they're probably a Wild Card favorite at this point it's unlikely to happen during the season. To me this is probably the toughest dilemma the Cubs have. They need at least a 3 to make this rotation playoff viable but then that would preclude going after Archer in the offseason and FA is not promising. I think the question is do they think Gray can be a 1/2 in the NL? I'm not sure but the wrong move hurts this year and next year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think if Tampa Bay was willing to part with Archer that Theo would find a way to get that done. Considering they're probably a Wild Card favorite at this point it's unlikely to happen during the season. To me this is probably the toughest dilemma the Cubs have. They need at least a 3 to make this rotation playoff viable but then that would preclude going after Archer in the offseason and FA is not promising. I think the question is do they think Gray can be a 1/2 in the NL? I'm not sure but the wrong move hurts this year and next year.

The Rays in it is the reason why they are not selling. Add to it they have the control to wait until they are in a situation where selling makes sense. Selling in the play off hunt sends a signal to the fan base and teams play for profit. Drop in the box hurts more than holding onto Archer another year.

A's fans know the drill. This will not affect them at all. If they don't pull a deal in a down season the base will be against it. Just their culture.

Sox are in a rebuild and the fans have seen the Cubs turn it around. Rondon will be coming back and they will have to open a rotation spot anyways. It makes the most sense to use that opportunity to get a talent haul.

Sitting here I would give up Eloy and Candy for Q. With out a doubt. My only reservation was Lester as a lefty also at the top. It is pretty much cosmetic if anything.

I'm hesitant to give up Adbert Alzolay. I've got a feeling that he may end up in the top 100 prospect list very soon. MLB just put him as the Cubs 21. So that is the first step.