Trade deadline banter

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I heard a suggestion today that LA, who already had an interest in Zack Britton, might step that up now with the Kershaw injury and then consider using Britton and Jannsen to cover the late innings and when Kershaw comes back let him close to take pressure off the back. Surely LA could put together a rotation led by Alex Wood that could go at least 5 in most games but my question is does that really take pressure of Kershaw's back? I've suffered with back problems most of my life and rest is more important that anything. Does it help to have a guy with back pain pitch everyday?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm really thinking that they are concidering trading Caratini from what Joe said today. He needs to play vs sit and he will have a great future. But did not say there.

So it what he didn't say that got my attention.

So it just seems that they are looking at a team who needs a starting catcher and that is the direction that they are gearing.

Add to it they want a established guy that can catch a game then sit on pine for a week.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'm really thinking that they are concidering trading Caratini from what Joe said today. He needs to play vs sit and he will have a great future. But did not say there.

So it what he didn't say that got my attention.

So it just seems that they are looking at a team who needs a starting catcher and that is the direction that they are gearing.

Add to it they want a established guy that can catch a game then sit on pine for a week.
Not sure of what the tigers have now behind the plate outside avilla but Caratini could be a piece to get him or a reliever

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
BA ranked him #1 so you have to think that that adds trade weight to him.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Let's hope Theo isn't desperate enough to trade for this stiff, Avila....this is the same guy who couldn't hit enough to hold a spot with the Sox. Ok, he's hitting alright this year but he hasn't done shit for 5 years before this. If this is the best they can get, stick with Caratini.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
So when it comes to trading Verlander why are we not discussing moving Arrieta or Hendricks for him? One of those two would be off the 4 man playoff rotation right?

If we were to offload either one we look like this in the playoffs: Lester, Q, Verlander, Kyle/Jake

2018/2019: Lester,Q,Verlander,Tseng, and whoever.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So when it comes to trading Verlander why are we not discussing moving Arrieta or Hendricks for him? One of those two would be off the 4 man playoff rotation right?

If we were to offload either one we look like this in the playoffs: Lester, Q, Verlander, Kyle/Jake

Moving Hendricks is the opposite of what you'd want to do because you're creating another hole in 2018. As for moving Arrieta, detroit isn't going to want a rental pitcher. I don't think it's entirely crazy to suggest moving him but realistically I think it would require a 3 team deal and it would be pretty complicated. Though given Verlander's cost($28 mil this year and the next 3), moving Arrieta($15.6 mil this year) would offset some of the pain of eating all of Verlander's deal. You'd go from +$14 mil to around +6.5 this year.

All that being said do you really want Verlander over Arrieta? Verlander is at 8.71 k/9 4.14 bb/9 4.50/4.21 ERA/FIP. Arrieta is at 8.76/3.00 and 4.11/4.21. Think you can make a pretty good case you're better off just living with Arrieta if it's a choice between the two.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If you are serious about Verlander then a few things have to happen.

1. Det will have to absorb some of his deal. Verlander is worth 16-18 mil per so the difference needs to be absorbed.

2. Det will want quality for compensation for that absorb. So the Cubs would have to give up 3 off their top 10.

As far as the 3 there are none that are irreplaceable. 2 of the 3 are protected so that means Candy, Caratini, DeLa, Alzolay, Hatch, Abertos etc would be open for trade.

I really haven't looked at Det and what their next window is. If they are looking at packing Ver and Alva then you could argue a 4th guy added.

So I'm thinking if they need replacement types while their farm develops then Cartiani, Candy and Alzolay for Verlander. Then add Zast for Alva. That IMO is a good point to start.

As far as who gets axed it has to be Lackey. I don't see anyone else that you concider. It would be shitty but that is the business.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Det is going to want a baez type in on the deal, otherwise they can get better specs elsewhere.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Det is going to want a baez type in on the deal, otherwise they can get better specs elsewhere.
I agree..

They have to trade Baez Russell Happ or Schwarber if they want a Verlander Gray Fuller Stroman etc..

I just don't see Epstein trading those guys now, more likely to do it in off season ..

Only moves I see them doing now is for a back up catcher and a reliever..
moves won't cost them much in prospects..

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I agree..

They have to trade Baez Russell Happ or Schwarber if they want a Verlander Gray Fuller Stroman etc..

I just don't see Epstein trading those guys now, more likely to do it in off season ..

Only moves I see them doing now is for a back up catcher and a reliever..
moves won't cost them much in prospects..

White Sox can help with that reliever :)

TL1961

Liked Posts:

They are not going to acquire Verlander and drop Arrieta from the playoff rotation.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Heard some talk about this a bit ago..

Verlander owed 28 mil per next 2 years with a vesting option in 2020 for 22 mil if he top 5 in cy young in 2019..

if Cubs eat all the salary , it probably won't cost them too much in prospects ..

Plus adding his salary over the next 2 years won't put them over or near Luxery tax..

Just wondering now if the cost is low in prospects, if Epstein would consider this over trading away a current bat in off season..

He'll have Verlander for next 2 years as a mid starter with Hendricks..

They can start one of their prospects as a 5 ..

They can probably get Alex avilla in the deal, and he can catch Verlander starts this year...

More I think about it, if they do go get a SP ,this is probably what they do..

I think they might finally be seeing that Lackey is done

This year..
Lester
Quintana
Arrieta
Verlander
Hendricks

Lester
Quintana
Verlander
Hendricks
Rookie

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm just not that interested in Verlander personally.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And then Lackey gives you two wins in a row.

With Hendricks back, and Quintana, it should tip the scales for the regular season.

Playoffs...Arrieta or Hendricks is going to have to be better. Lackey in the pen could still have some numbers against certain people and be useful, well rested. Certainly he has more heart than most of the screw ups in the Cubs pen.

The Dodgers are unreal, but Kershaw limbo gives hope. The runner up in that division will be a task for any team out of the east or central.

Its nationals/Dodgers all the way, with some outside hope for Cubs/D-backs/Rockies. You could give the Mets an honorable mention for the pitching staff with deGrom and Thor on it potentially. I think after those 6 teams, the N.L. doesn't have a team with the talent to go all the way. Everyone else should sell. Brewers and Pirates included. Even if they could hang with the Cubs to the end, they aren't going to rise up and beat 3-4 top notch teams in a row.

Astros, Red Sox might be the only teams I take seriously in the East...maybe a trade for a pitcher or two could shore up some line-ups though.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'm not either..
I'd prefer someone younger

Just thinking maybe Epstein might consider this route and hold onto his major league access into next season..

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Every time I've seen him, my initial reaction is always the same. He's toast.

But he is very rich and his girlfriend is super hot. I could live with that if I was him.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Just checked out Verlander starts..

He given up 3 or less runs in 16 of 21 starts this year...

So, pitching in NL, Cubs defense and offense

Might not be too bad