IFA period starts today

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Don't expect too many big names to the cubs as they are under penalty but with that said they have done well in the past with under the radar signings. Two names i've heard connected with the cubs are RHP Florencio Serrano(BA #29 and NR on mlb.com) and Luis Verdugo(NR BA #30 mlb.com). Both are out of mexico where the cubs and finesse money a bit better since mexican clubs tend to get 75% of a signing and the cubs only count what the player gets in that regard toward spending limits. BA has Serrano as the 3rd best pitcher in the class.

Don't sleep on Serrano because he's not a hyped guy. Albertos wasn't among top 30 lists either. Pitching in IFA is kind of weird. I think because they are so far away from the majors teams don't value them as highly. It's pretty rare to see a 16 or 17 year old a top these IFA lists.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Also for what it's worth it will be interesting to see how other teams approach this class. It's the last prior to the new IFA rules on spending. On the one hand you could blow out your IFA pool like the cubs and other have done in the past but the down side is if you want Otani and he doesn't come this year you are then screwed.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs signed luis verdugo 1 mil deal

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk