The Critical Corner: Adam Shaheen

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So this assessment is going to be a little bit different. And that is because I was very skeptical of this pick when it was made. I will go over the reasons why and what changed my mind.

I wrote this awhile ago:

I don't know if you guys are familiar with SPARQ and SLAYTICS. They are very accurate formulas that can predict whether a player can thrive in the NFL or if they are just not cut out for the NFL based on several physical and athletic factors. It is very accurate.

Basically, if the player falls into the blue group, they will most likely thrive in the NFL based off of the formula. If you fall into the green group threshold, you at least have the physical and athletic features to make it in the NFL. And then you have the players in the red group, who may have been great in college, but are not cut out to play in the NFL. Our new TE fell into the red group.

A TE in the blue threshold has a 78% success rate based on MAVPY. A TE in the red group has a 7% success rate based on MAVPY. The MAVPY is a tool that measures a players productivity in the NFL. A score of 4+ is starter level and a score of 8+ is all pro level. Odds are against Shaheen to make it in the NFL.

https://d3d2maoophos6y.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/22230743/Slaytics-2017-Final1.pdf

Now, I concede to the fact that Adam Shaheen's unusual size at the position has really clouded his data as far as this statistic. The fact is that there really have not been many successful TE's of his size to reference. But from what I have seen, Shaheen definitely looks like an NFL level player. Not only is he athletic as a TE, he's athletic in general.

t3Caqw.gif

***In the gif above, Shaheen is lined up wide opposite a cornerback. Ashland lined him up all over the field, which is extraordinary for such a big man.

gu9eSR.gif

***The play above is incredibly impressive. Shaheen uses his quick feet to turn the defensive back three times. A 280 lb TE just clowned a DB with his quickness.

Ok, so another concern I had about Shaheen was that for being drafted in the 2nd round out of a division II school, I expect you to absolutely dominate man vs child style. Especially since Shaheen was bigger and stronger than pretty much anyone on the field. The one thing that I didn't take into account was that Shaheen also had a division II QB throwing him the football.

gnzWvG.gif

***In the above gif, Shaheen gets behind the defense in the end zone, yet the QB egregiously overthrows the pass.

3qkrf-.gif

***In the play above, Shaheen navigates through the traffic wonderfully and finds himself wide open down the middle of the field, but the QB decides to chuck it to the cheerleaders down the sideline.

gPOk0n.gif

***This play really showcases Shaheen's athleticism. Notice his remarkable explosiveness coming off the line of scrimmage. Shaheen actually blows by the entire defense here. Unfortunately, the QB throws an abysmal pass that Shaheen has to try to go back for.

During the draft process, I've written a lot about my love for David Njoku. In fact, I thought he could be a top 10 pick. When comparing Shaheen to Njoku, I was very surprised to learn that Shaheen appears to be the better route runner at this stage in time. This really threw me off, as I've read a lot about how it will take him a while to adjust to the NFL. I see a guy that looks like he can step in and play rather quickly.

h8XQZv.gif

***In the play above, Shaheen disappears off the screen right before he makes a quick and precise cut up the field. Notice how much separation he gets off of the safety, it's quite remarkable.

AIjDM0.gif

***Shaheen is great at finding space. Here, Shaheen runs across the field and finds the pocket between two defenders.

Now, all of this size and athleticism doesn't really mean much if the guy can't catch. Well, don't worry, Shaheen can catch.

aGmRL8.gif

***Shaheen uses his size and hands well. He shows great hand eye coordination and body position against defenders.

I6ABHU.gif

***Here is an extremely poorly thrown pass that turns Shaheen around, yet he adjusts and recovers.

As far as blocking is concerned, Shaheen looks to be solid. Obviously, NFL defenders will be stronger and faster, but Shaheen has held his own from what I've seen. The one thing I did notice was that even with his size and strength, Shaheen looks kinda weak out there at times. This is evident when he is run blocking, as he cannot get much push on defenders.

84hsDk.gif

***Here, Shaheen blocks his guy initially, but he recovers and gets around him. Against the pass, Shaheen is a competent blocker. But against the run where he has to use some power to actually move defenders, Shaheen falls short.

Bottom line is that Shaheen looks very impressive. Yes, this is division II, but it looks like his game will translate. What really stood out to me with Adam Shaheen was that the dude was the biggest guy on the field and yet he was consistently getting behind the defense.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Awesome report. His body control and coordination seem special. My biggest concern for him his 1st year is blocking but leverage is also about balance so I think he'll be OK with enough bulk unless he gets caught high but I do expect him to be significantly stronger in 2018. That he has a natural feel for space and finding the ball at the right spot is impressive. Hard to imagine anyone having issue with this pick.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I agree that while Shaheen looks like he might pan out, I still think he was a huge reach in the second round.

I'm not a pro evaluator, but Div II players are usually still available much later.

Pace is going to need to hit a home run with this kid or it will look like yet another GM getting too "cute" with the draft. I'm not doubting the potential, but in the second round there are a lot of talented kids that actually competed against other legit talent, in programs that were capable of developing talent.

I hope he turns into the next Gronk for us, but I'm still thinking that he was a huge reach, and we likely missed out on a better player because we select him.

Again, I hope I'm wrong and him and Trubisky develop a chemistry that leads us to multiple Super Bowl wins :)

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I agree that while Shaheen looks like he might pan out, I still think he was a huge reach in the second round.

I'm not a pro evaluator, but Div II players are usually still available much later.

Pace is going to need to hit a home run with this kid or it will look like yet another GM getting too "cute" with the draft. I'm not doubting the potential, but in the second round there are a lot of talented kids that actually competed against other legit talent, in programs that were capable of developing talent.

I hope he turns into the next Gronk for us, but I'm still thinking that he was a huge reach, and we likely missed out on a better player because we select him.

Again, I hope I'm wrong and him and Trubisky develop a chemistry that leads us to multiple Super Bowl wins :)
I don't think anyone knows if he will be a hit or not, but based on the reports that have talked with other GM's he was not a reach. Regardless of where he played, he was drafted about where teams had him slotted.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He can definitely beat up on DII CB's, S's and LB's...

I REALLY hope it all pans out at the next level. A second round TE should eventually be a very important piece in your Offense... We better not Martz this up...

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
We better not Martz this up...

It still baffles me that in 2010-2011 there was an NFL coach that didn't view an excellent pass-catching TE as a huge asset. The guy was stuck 10-20 years in the past when it came to his philosophies.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
It still baffles me that in 2010-2011 there was an NFL coach that didn't view an excellent pass-catching TE as a huge asset. The guy was stuck 10-20 years in the past when it came to his philosophies.

And paid a shitty LT to play TE for a ton of money, who by the way couldn't block or stay on the field for that matter.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
He designed a unique scheme that succeeded largely because of having the exact pieces ( A HOF RB and LT and likely HOF QB, WR1, and WR2) needed to make it work. He advanced his career on the backs of those players, failed as a HC and failed in his return to OC, never quite able to understand he had caught lightening in a bottle and was to stubborn to admit he needed to adapt to thrive.

He was the offensive version of Buddy Ryan.

AussieBear

and an ownership who agreed...

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

He was projected anywhere from round 2 to round 4. Some had him as the third best TE. I don't think it was a big stretch.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
and an ownership who agreed...

I don't think it was owners to blame. Either we want the owners involved in player decisions or not. I chose not with our owners. Let the GMs decide.

AussieBear

I don't think it was owners to blame. Either we want the owners involved in player decisions or not. I chose not with our owners. Let the GMs decide.

ah the mccaskeys hands are always involved.. part of the problem imo... at least i perceive them to be involved... im right.. they are a bit too handsy.. wish theyd sell.. cant get no worse

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
ah the mccaskeys hands are always involved.. part of the problem imo... at least i perceive them to be involved... im right.. they are a bit too handsy.. wish theyd sell.. cant get no worse
#DanielSniderJedYorkJimmyHaslam

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

Exactly. Even if your scheme doesn't utilize TE's as much you find a way to use him in your scheme. It looked to me like Olsen did just fine in 2010 so it made zero sense to get rid of him. Just dumb.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Awesome report. His body control and coordination seem special. My biggest concern for him his 1st year is blocking but leverage is also about balance so I think he'll be OK with enough bulk unless he gets caught high but I do expect him to be significantly stronger in 2018. That he has a natural feel for space and finding the ball at the right spot is impressive. Hard to imagine anyone having issue with this pick.

Frankly he needs to be taught how to properly position his frame for blocking. You already know blocking is all about positioning and leverage. He stands up too much as a blocker. Loses all that leverage and his natural power is nullified. Easily coachable traits imo. Dude looks fucking legit as hell as a pass catcher though. Really that is the meat and potatoes I am looking for anyways. If he so happens to improve as a blocker too then that is just the icing on the cake for me.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
#DanielSniderJedYorkJimmyHaslam

Really, no Jerry Jones. He is the most hands on owner, he actually named himself GM. Thing is it looks like he has done a good job. A few decades ago Al Davis did a nice job with the Raiders, then got old and fucked up the franchise. It took that team 6 years to get past the damage Davis did.

The Bears only chance at becoming relevant again is keeping the McCaskey's and their lap dog Sweaty Teddy Phillips away from football decisions. When Virginia passes maybe the family takes the money and runs.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Really, no Jerry Jones. He is the most hands on owner, he actually named himself GM. Thing is it looks like he has done a good job. A few decades ago Al Davis did a nice job with the Raiders, then got old and fucked up the franchise. It took that team 6 years to get past the damage Davis did.

The Bears only chance at becoming relevant again is keeping the McCaskey's and their lap dog Sweaty Teddy Phillips away from football decisions. When Virginia passes maybe the family takes the money and runs.

Jerry did a crap job as GM for quite a while... If he didn't own the team, his ass woulda been fired a LOOOONG time ago.

I know his title still says GM... but I feel like I watched something where they said he's taken a back seat when it comes to drafting and is trusting his kids more to make personnel decisions. This would explain the uptick in successful drafts. They're still taking a lot of risks though...

Can anyone confirm? :shrug:

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

He needed guys who could block for all his 7 step drops.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Shaheen may not start right away but I think he will be a red zone target from day one.