Bryce Harper

chibears55

Liked Posts:
http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/new...r-to-join-the-cubs/1pjrhp96tisb011nuda7qp1kyo

Saw this and had me thinking...

Cubs get their new tv deal in 2019...
Bryant and Rizzo don't become FA til 2021..

All they realistically need to do is slowly increase his contract over the first couple years and back load the rest..

Bryant really wants to play with his buddy, he'll ask for a fair , reasonable deal.
Rizzo will be 32 in 2021 after his contract expires..
Heyward if he doesn't opt out deal expires after 2022.

Basically just need to try and stay away from having to overpay any other FAs next 2-3 years..

Far as where he plays...

Depends on Heyward opting out or not ..

If Heyward stays they can easily move Heyward to LF and Harper RF

Schwarber traded...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If we trade Schwarber we will regret it, he is the number 3 behind KB and Rizzo, pure talent, i would never dump him

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If I have my choice in the NL between Harper and Schwarber, I'm taking Harper.

Of course but i think pepole understimate Schwarber for the bad season he is having, he should be a long term Cub

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Of course but i think pepole understimate Schwarber for the bad season he is having, he should be a long term Cub
No one is underestimating Schwarber's bat. You're overestimating Schwarber's defense in the OP's scenario. Sign Harper, move Heyward to LF. Where is Schwarber going to play?

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No one is underestimating Schwarber's bat. You're overestimating Schwarber's defense in the OP's scenario. Sign Harper, move Heyward to LF. Where is Schwarber going to play?

Put Heyward in center

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Put Heyward in center
Heyward is not a natural CF. You have now put 2 players in OF in places they don't belong. Why would you want to increase pitchers pitch counts?

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Heyward is not a natural CF. You have now put 2 players in OF in places they don't belong. Why would you want to increase pitchers pitch counts?

Because then we would have 4 possible silver slugger in the line up and the best offense in baseball by far

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If we trade Schwarber we will regret it, he is the number 3 behind KB and Rizzo, pure talent, i would never dump him
Not really..

You move him for a SP and or prospects, depending on the deal..

Plus were talking about Bryce freakn Harper as his replacement out there offensively and defensively.....

No on Heyward in CF everyday...

Hopefully itll be Almora but all they would need is a OBP guy who can go get it roaming CF and they'd have probably the best defensive OF in baseball..

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

You wouldn't move Heyward if you sign Harper. You'd move Harper to LF unless he was so much of a primadonna that he had to play RF in order to come. Only way Heyward moves is if they did something crazy like moving him to CF in order to accommodate keeping Schwarber but to be honest I don't think any of this Harper talk is realistic. Bryant isn't going to take less to stay here. If he were willing to do that the cubs would have signed him long term already. Plus his agent is Boras. Additionally, no team is going to want to be near the luxury tax because of the new rules with regard to being over it. Having $60+ mil on two players is going to murder your payroll especially when you're not talking about 2 starters.

Long story short, it's fun to dream about but I'm pretty sure it's just that.... a dream.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
You wouldn't move Heyward if you sign Harper. You'd move Harper to LF unless he was so much of a primadonna that he had to play RF in order to come. Only way Heyward moves is if they did something crazy like moving him to CF in order to accommodate keeping Schwarber but to be honest I don't think any of this Harper talk is realistic. Bryant isn't going to take less to stay here. If he were willing to do that the cubs would have signed him long term already. Plus his agent is Boras. Additionally, no team is going to want to be near the luxury tax because of the new rules with regard to being over it. Having $60+ mil on two players is going to murder your payroll especially when you're not talking about 2 starters.

Long story short, it's fun to dream about but I'm pretty sure it's just that.... a dream.
So essentially in this scenario moving Heyward to LF so Harper can play RF doesn't matter. ;)

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I think all this talk from the two of them is to drive Harper's price up. Boras says negotiations start at $450 million and baseball is freaking out over it. Perfect way to start a bidding war 14-15 months out. I cannot imagine the Cubs spending $700-$800 million on two players. Shit, that's almost what Ricketts paid for the team.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Dedicated to this entire thread..........................

198654-0b607412af9b3e1665e77a093a761e08.jpg

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I think all this talk from the two of them is to drive Harper's price up. Boras says negotiations start at $450 million and baseball is freaking out over it. Perfect way to start a bidding war 14-15 months out. I cannot imagine the Cubs spending $700-$800 million on two players. Shit, that's almost what Ricketts paid for the team.
Thing is , why start now with a whole season plus left til then..
And besides the initial report that had him saying it, it only been the wives and Bryant poking at it because of them two playing one another last week..
So, ill take it as them having fun with it but not so much as Boras trying to jack the price for a bidding war..
I think management/owners for all teams are smart enough to fall for that..

Im sure when the time comes, they all do their financial homework and make offers they can handle and he'll pick the best offer with the team he wants to play out his career with..

I can almost guarantee...
Nobody offering 10yrs 450 mil for him...
If that what he looking for, then he'll be sitting out a whole season..

Ill say he ends up with 7-10 yrs 300-350 top, but being he'll just be 26, he may be looking for options so he can be a FA again and try for a bigger future payday, like Heyward got..

Let not forget Bryant tied up til 2022 and by then the tax thing will be higher and the organization will be raking in the tv money plus everything their building now for extra revenue will be in full force..

I wouldn't look at their money situation as it stands today, their going to be well off financially in a couple years..

Like i said you slowly backload his deal and his contract will be doable come 2021 and beyond...

And right now, if Bryant dont bounce back next season after a down year this year.. he wont even be sniffing 20 per..

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So essentially in this scenario moving Heyward to LF so Harper can play RF doesn't matter. ;)

My only point was Heyward's arguably the best defensive outfielder in baseball. You don't move him. You move Harper. You'd be getting less out of Heyward defensively in LF because his arm is so good in right.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Thing is , why start now with a whole season plus left til then..
And besides the initial report that had him saying it, it only been the wives and Bryant poking at it because of them two playing one another last week..
So, ill take it as them having fun with it but not so much as Boras trying to jack the price for a bidding war..
I think management/owners for all teams are smart enough to fall for that..

Im sure when the time comes, they all do their financial homework and make offers they can handle and he'll pick the best offer with the team he wants to play out his career with..

I can almost guarantee...
Nobody offering 10yrs 450 mil for him...
If that what he looking for, then he'll be sitting out a whole season..

Ill say he ends up with 7-10 yrs 300-350 top, but being he'll just be 26, he may be looking for options so he can be a FA again and try for a bigger future payday, like Heyward got..

Let not forget Bryant tied up til 2022 and by then the tax thing will be higher and the organization will be raking in the tv money plus everything their building now for extra revenue will be in full force..

I wouldn't look at their money situation as it stands today, their going to be well off financially in a couple years..

Like i said you slowly backload his deal and his contract will be doable come 2021 and beyond...

And right now, if Bryant dont bounce back next season after a down year this year.. he wont even be sniffing 20 per..

You're making a lot of assumptions here. First of all the tv contracts may not even be what we think. It will certainly improve the situation they presently are in but it's not going to be a deal like the dodgers got. Secondly, Harper will easily get 10 years $350 mil. Stanton is no where near the player Harper is and he got 13-year, $325 mil. Trouts making roughly $34 mil a year and he never hit FA meaning if Harper does hit FA he'll make more than that. I doubt he goes over $400 mil but it's honestly rather pointless. The cubs aren't going to dump that kind of money into him. Heyward and Lester are literally the only two big ticket FA the cubs have gone after and while Heyward was a big name the cubs really aren't paying him that much. He's only making ~$23 mil a year a big portion of which is in his first 3 years when everyone else is making almost nothing.

It's essentially throwing money into the wind because the cubs still don't have their pitching long term figured out. I'd be shocked if it were to happen but if Harper and Bryant would sign long term for roughly $50-55 mil a year combined then ok maybe you have that conversation but why would they? And even in a theoretical world where the cubs entertain this idea what happens is you're tapped out going forward and the team you have at that point is all you can do. You're not making any in season moves to improve the team because the money isn't there.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/new...r-to-join-the-cubs/1pjrhp96tisb011nuda7qp1kyo

Saw this and had me thinking...

Cubs get their new tv deal in 2019...
Bryant and Rizzo don't become FA til 2021..

All they realistically need to do is slowly increase his contract over the first couple years and back load the rest..

Bryant really wants to play with his buddy, he'll ask for a fair , reasonable deal.
Rizzo will be 32 in 2021 after his contract expires..
Heyward if he doesn't opt out deal expires after 2022.

Basically just need to try and stay away from having to overpay any other FAs next 2-3 years..

Far as where he plays...

Depends on Heyward opting out or not ..

If Heyward stays they can easily move Heyward to LF and Harper RF

Schwarber traded...

I would assume Harper would platoon in LF with Jon Jay. ��

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Sign Harper and basically run two lineups out there

vs LHP

Harper - RF
Bryant - 3B
Rizzo - 1B
Contreras - C
Schwarber/Happ - LF
Baez/Happ - 2B
Russell - SS
P
Almora - CF

vs RHP
Happ/Zobrist - 2B
Harper - RF
Bryant - 3B
Rizzo - 1B
Contreras - C
Schwarber - LF
Russell/Baez - SS
Heyward/Almora - CF

For half the game, you have Heyward in CF and then in the later innings, you can use Almora (moves Harper to LF, Heyward to RF) to offset the defense and basically run for Schwarber. When signing a guy for 10 years (like Bryce Harper), you're really not concerned with what the first few years will be defensively and all that because you're signing him for so long.

But the other reason I don't see it as a financial problem is it solves the replacing Rizzo issue, who will be a 32 FA in his first year of a new deal and as much as I see him as a leader of the team, 32 year old first basemen don't age well. Since 1975, only 5 1B have been able to be a 20 WAR 1st baseman ages 32-37 (McGwire, Palmerio, Brett, Bagwell, Grace) and two of them were clear steroid users. So if you're not going to give Rizzo a long-term deal, Harper on a ten-year deal makes sense because he will slide in to 1B most likely as he ages/fattens and then you're basically batting two HOF level hitters in the middle of your lineup.

You can't overpay for HOF players. It's simply not possible. The only way you overpay and it doesn't work out is he regresses as a hitter and you don't get anywhere close to what he is now (which is likely a two-time MVP).

chibears55

Liked Posts:
My only point was Heyward's arguably the best defensive outfielder in baseball. You don't move him. You move Harper. You'd be getting less out of Heyward defensively in LF because his arm is so good in right.
Let remember, though not "old"...
Heyward will be 29 in 2019, so a step or 2 lost and arm not as strong...

Harper will be 26

But either way , whoever plays where itll be great if they seriously went after Harper..

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Lose a step and arm strength before age 29?

Where do you get this stuff?