Wire Waiver Position is great for BEARs

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Here is a nice article on one of the merits of finishing 3-13 Last Year.....

We are Well positioned to take advantage of the Cuts from some of the consistently winning teams with great depth

The Chicago Bears waiver wire position in 2017 is equivalent to their draft position. This means they have a chance to be one of the first teams to claim talents who are released during final cuts on September 2nd. It cannot be understated how potentially valuable that is for GM Ryan Pace. He’s already exercised that benefit once with kicker Roberto Aguayo, who apparently had interest from other teams.

Imagine what the notably detail-oriented GM could accomplish once rosters start unloading. Keep in mind he’s already done a fair job of finding hidden gems late in free agency. A few of them coming courtesy of the waiver wire. This was done when the Bears were positioned lower in the pecking order.

No doubt Pace might like to take advantage of the high position while he can. This means the Bears roster could look considerably different before the season begins next month. It’s all about determining how they might approach it.

Bears waiver wire approach certain to focus on three teams

In terms specific positions, the Bears will likely focus on wide receiver, outside linebacker and offensive line. Injuries have beset each of those three position groups. Eric Kush is lost for the year and Kyle Long still hasn’t returned. Markus Wheaton is dealing with appendix and broken finger issues. Pernell McPhee developed another knee problem and Lamarr Houston is coming off a torn ACL.

Suffice to say the roster is far from a finished product. Pace could easily look to shore up each of those positions. It’s just a matter of figuring out who he might target. Finding specific names is almost impossible in such situations. However, a good way to narrow the search is by pinpointing the likely teams they’ll come from.

In that case, these are the three Pace is almost certain to focus on. Why? He’s done it before.

Arizona Cardinals

Bobby Massie
Harold Jones-Quartey
Marcus Cooper
Sam Acho
Baltimore Ravens

Pernell McPhee
Daniel Brown
Deonte Thompson
Patrick Scales
New England Patriots

Akiem Hicks
Cre’Von LeBlanc
Video Player
00:0000:50
It’s hard to believe but a pretty good chunk of the Bears starting lineup is made up of players plucked from the Patriots, Ravens and Cardinals. Then again this should be a surprise. For one, all three of those teams are proven winners. The Patriots are champs, the Ravens rarely post a losing record, and the Cardinals were in the NFC championship two years ago. Beyond that there’s another reason for the favoritism.

All three teams develop players who fit Bears’ style

Take a closer look at the three teams and it won’t be hard to see the Bears’ fascination. Each runs a variation on the 3-4 defense like they do. They covet receivers with quickness, speed and route running skills. Last but not least they want blockers who are smart and tough. Pace has shown a preference for all those types in rebuilding this Bears roster.

At this point it’s difficult to tell which names might become available from those three teams. One thing is clear though. Given the considerable depth they all have, there is a strong chance Chicago could come away with one or two possible gems.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
The fact that there is no cuts in the rosters during the preseason now (previously a 75 man roster between week 3 and 4) also means that you get to see a guy for an additional week before a slew of 1,184 players hit the market.

Without a doubt there is going to be a few gems that leave other teams because of different reasons. Maybe the depth is too great for an undrafted guy to break into his current team, or maybe a team has found the future guy and they let a good vet go, or just a ton of reasons.

Many will say that it is dumpster diving, but I think some talented kids are going to get let go, and if the Bears have done their homework then they can take advantage of the position they have this year.

BearbaFett

Liked Posts:
can't really depend on camp cuts to fill a need, but it sure felt good to land an all-pro in sitton last year

if we can gain some good depth or even a starter on the o-line and/or secondary, that'd be just lovely

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
The fact that there is no cuts in the rosters during the preseason now (previously a 75 man roster between week 3 and 4) also means that you get to see a guy for an additional week before a slew of 1,184 players hit the market.

Without a doubt there is going to be a few gems that leave other teams because of different reasons. Maybe the depth is too great for an undrafted guy to break into his current team, or maybe a team has found the future guy and they let a good vet go, or just a ton of reasons.

Many will say that it is dumpster diving, but I think some talented kids are going to get let go, and if the Bears have done their homework then they can take advantage of the position they have this year.

Absolutely. Cause teams just can't keep them all.

Antobears

Liked Posts:
Cheers OP.
This sums up where the bears are at. They need to maximise every opportunity going. The team was run into the ground by the time pace arrived.

With the arrival of Mitch "the Padewan" Trubisky the rebuild might actually have begun...

Antobears

Liked Posts:
Tru dat but blowing picks on guys like Kevin white when the team can least afford to make mistakes don't help.
White looks like a lost cause but I'm honestly unable to get too pissed about it on balance given what weve seen since 2010.

My sense of moral outrage will increase if the biscuit turns out to be be merely force sensitive as opposed to full Jedi material...

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I was expecting more Vets to be released to allow them the usual courtesy of catching on somewhere else.

This year is going to be a shit show with so many cuts done the same day. I really dont know what sense this roster deal made other than keeping some guys paid thru the summer. They might pick up someone just to let him go again when the next guy is available, otherwise its just far too much to catch everyone you might want to.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
One in the hand is worth two in the bush kinda idea with Pace.

We have Cruz, from the pile and possibly others, now we need to keep upgrading with legitimate Young talent after poaching.....if that means going with a YoungSter over a seasoned vet at the same or nearly the same level of play..... Ya go with the --- or --------- ??

.... BUT it's all about choices and high level possibilities with our waiver wire positioning.

THIS FUCKIN SEASON IS EXCITING !!!!

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Woo Hoo!!! Da Baerzzzs get to dumpster dive second!!

:crazydance::crazydance::crazydance::crazydance::crazydance::crazydance::crazydance::crazydance::crazydance::crazydance::crazydance:

Navy Orange Ninja

Liked Posts:
One in the hand is worth two in the bush kinda idea with Pace.

We have Cruz, from the pile and possibly others, now we need to keep upgrading with legitimate Young talent after poaching.....if that means going with a YoungSter over a seasoned vet at the same or nearly the same level of play..... Ya go with the --- or --------- ??

.... BUT it's all about choices and high level possibilities with our waiver wire positioning.

THIS FUCKIN SEASON IS EXCITING !!!!

My thoughts exactly. For example, I would rather keep Gentry over one of the other scrap-heap WRs in performance is in the margins. Get some hungry young guys that can grow with Biscuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Shaheen Meredith Tanner Jordan, and Cohen ? as part of the great Young Rebuild !

..... and of course, lets see what happens tonight QB