CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Cubs offense has averagef over 6 runs a game with starting pitching in the low 3's since break. No one wants to see this team in the playoffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don"t think the Dodgers or Nationals are afraid.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I am selling two great seats for tomorrow's game.

Section 32.

Row 8.

Can sell hard tickets or electronically.

Cost me $261 each. Make me an offer.

Thanks.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I agree..
Cubs been doing this against phillies pirates and now braves woeful pitching..

Against the Nats and Dodgers were going to need to hope our starters can hold their offense under 3 to have a chance..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Stroes overpaid
Verlander was holding out til last minute hoping for Cubs deal..

Only name I heard cubs offered up was catcher Taylor Davis

So, not sure if that even got the tigers attention..

Interesting now to see if Cubs try to get him in Off season if something better not out there

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

Maybe not but this is a good Cubs team and I like the matchup with Washington. I also like the Diamondbacks as a dark horse to knock
off LA, but they have to get there first.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Maybe not but this is a good Cubs team and I like the matchup with Washington. I also like the Diamondbacks as a dark horse to knock
off LA, but they have to get their first.
I agree with Dback..

I kinda have that feeling they might just be the team left standing in NL..

Got that feel to it, where their that WC team that gets hot and knock off the goliath

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
and the cubs get yet another outfielder since apparently Almora, Happ, Zobrist, Jay, KB are not enough options.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
and the cubs get yet another outfielder since apparently Almora, Happ, Zobrist, Jay, KB are not enough options.

I think he's a defensive replacement/pitch runner only. He's not even on the 40 man yet.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Cubs offense has averagef over 6 runs a game with starting pitching in the low 3's since break. No one wants to see this team in the playoffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly I tend to agree with this. A lot of that has also come without Contreras and Russell in the line up. When going right the cubs have the offense to stop any teams pitching. And the cubs pitching has also come back. Arrieta has looked like 2015 Arrieta and Hendricks looks back to 2016. Q hasn't quite excelled like you'd hope but he's still a very good pitcher. And of course Lester is going to do what Lester always does.

Cubs also have a very deep positional bench. Bullpen I was more happy about prior to the break but in theory they are a pretty deep group. Cubs also took 2 of 3 at the Dodgers in April.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Honestly I tend to agree with this. A lot of that has also come without Contreras and Russell in the line up. When going right the cubs have the offense to stop any teams pitching. And the cubs pitching has also come back. Arrieta has looked like 2015 Arrieta and Hendricks looks back to 2016. Q hasn't quite excelled like you'd hope but he's still a very good pitcher. And of course Lester is going to do what Lester always does.

Cubs also have a very deep positional bench. Bullpen I was more happy about prior to the break but in theory they are a pretty deep group. Cubs also took 2 of 3 at the Dodgers in April.

Cubs since the ASB 30-15, Dodgers 30-12. This is a good Cubs team but fans are still shellshocked from the first half and because of that some can't see it.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Cubs called up Grimm, Caratini, Maples and Freeman. I'm not 100% sure but I think Maples was a sept 1 call up which means he's not automatically playoff eligible though I think if he were to replace an injured player he could be. I'm honestly a little surprised if that is the case because obviously they knew they were going to make this move and he seems like the type of guy you might realistically catch lightning in a bottle with if things go right. Having the option for him in the playoffs would have been nice.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

The issue that bothers me is that, even though they've been better of late, the Cubs rotation is deeper than they are dominant. A five-game series against the Nats with Scherzer & Strasburg is just a brutal matchup. The Dodgers in a seven game don't concern me as much.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
The issue that bothers me is that, even though they've been better of late, the Cubs rotation is deeper than they are dominant. A five-game series against the Nats with Scherzer & Strasburg is just a brutal matchup. The Dodgers in a seven game don't concern me as much.

See I'm encouraged by that matchup. With the way Arrieta is pitching the Cubs have a very good chance to win that Scherzer game on the road and as good as Strasburg is he's going to pitch a lot of innings this month and Jon Lester is one of the best playoff pitchers in the game.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Think that's underselling them a bit. I mean I get it. No one is ever going to consider Hendricks "dominant." It's just not how he pitches. But from a purely results standpoint he can be. If you look at his numbers in the second half post injury return he's got a 8.29 k/9 and a 2.70 bb/9 with a 2.31/3.58 ERA/FIP. Arrieta since the start of July has a 7.8 k/9 and a 2.7 bb/9 with a 1.69/3.46 ERA/FIP. And obviously Lester is a guy you're going to trust in a playoff series given his past. Q is obviously more of an unknown but what I like about all the cubs starters is they don't have to K guys to be effective because they are ground ball pitchers throwing to a team that has a lot of excellent defenders. And the cubs offense is one that also probably plays better in the playoffs given they take so many pitches. I think they can force most starters out in the 6th giving them 3 innings to do damage to a teams bullpen.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs called up Grimm, Caratini, Maples and Freeman. I'm not 100% sure but I think Maples was a sept 1 call up which means he's not automatically playoff eligible though I think if he were to replace an injured player he could be. I'm honestly a little surprised if that is the case because obviously they knew they were going to make this move and he seems like the type of guy you might realistically catch lightning in a bottle with if things go right. Having the option for him in the playoffs would have been nice.
I thought the same thing with Maples but I may be wrong but I think I recently saw that they just have to be on 40 man prior to Sept 1st to be eligible, not just 25..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
You can add gio gonzalez in there too..
He'll be just as tough

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I think he's a defensive replacement/pitch runner only. He's not even on the 40 man yet.

Which will also cost us a player on the roster. I hardly heard of the two that were DFA's but might know the next one.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Which will also cost us a player on the roster. I hardly heard of the two that were DFA's but might know the next one.

Frankoff was just pitching depth. Roserito I believe was injured for the most part.

Maples has had a hell of a season. Started in A+ then jumped 4 levels. That just shows how nasty his stuff is. Other 2 are just depth. With Russell out for 3 weeks you need emergency depth.

Martin is a PR. Joe likes to add speed with roster expansion. He is not going to burn a regular for PR duty right now.