Offseson: Whte Sox Enter Year 2

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Extremely impressive finish for this squad. The major league team played .500 ball against very strong talent since the first week of August.

A few of the specs (Giolito, Lopez, Fulmer) in the starting rotation for 2018. There was a hit with Rodon, but he should make a full recovery and work his way back into the starting five a soon as opening day.

Minaya did really well as a replacement closer and with his k average of 10.5 per 9. No reason to think he won't get every opportunity to succeed next year.

It will be interesting to see what the team does in LF and CF. Internal options consist of Engel, Garcia, Garcia, Hanson, May, Delmonico, Tilson. I have a feeling we are speaking of place holders until one of their minor league outfielders are ready. If you ask Jimenez, that's opening day of next year. I'd not rush him.

What are you looking forward to for the next year?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
First it's the young pitching. Giolito, Lopez, Fullmer, Hansen, Kopech, Dunning, Cease and hopefully Burdi... Eloy, Rutherford, Collins, Burger, Sheets and Robert are just some of the position guys that have me excited. Then there are guys like Polo, Basabe and Adolfo too. So much to consider and anticipate...

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
The issue with building via pitching is that you will get some hit and miss years based on injury probabilities. I'd still like for them to get more position players and build the way the Cubs did. You can however trade some of the pitchers for more position players. Or trade guys like Abreu and Garcia, be savvy in international drafts etc....

I think they can contend in 2019 if they sign a top FA pitcher or two and get those position players taken care of.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I think we use this year to see what we have with all this young talent. I don’t want to trade the young guys yet and I don’t want to go after big money fa yet. After this season trades and fa to top the roster off would be ideal. Just stay the course phase 1 has been better then expected imo especially from what we have been used to.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I think we use this year to see what we have with all this young talent. I don’t want to trade the young guys yet and I don’t want to go after big money fa yet. After this season trades and fa to top the roster off would be ideal. Just stay the course phase 1 has been better then expected imo especially from what we have been used to.
That's exactly what they are going to do IMO. They are in the process of employing the method that the Astros use instead of the Cubs. Astros went more balanced while the Cubs went all out hitting.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I don't think you can call Astros "balanced approach" a success. The two pitchers they drafted in the first round have been traded or released.

The areas they had success was in signing pitchers or trading for them and drafting position players.

Kuechel was a 7th round pick, as the Cubs are doing who draft guys in later rounds who are under slotted.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I don't think you can call Astros "balanced approach" a success. The two pitchers they drafted in the first round have been traded or released.

The areas they had success was in signing pitchers or trading for them and drafting position players.

Kuechel was a 7th round pick, as the Cubs are doing who draft guys in later rounds who are under slotted.

McCullers was a first. Again, they are more balanced than the Cubs. And better at development of pitchers than the Cubs. However, the Astros are not perfect and it is unlikely that the Astros team right now will be as good as the White Sox at developing pitchers. Nor will the White Sox be as good as the Cubs or Astros at developing hitters though they are vastly improving in that area.

Again, the model to follow is the Astros/Dodgers IMO.

Viciousjay

Liked Posts:
SO it looks like Girardi is not returning to the Yanks, should we go after him?!

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
No. If we didn't have so many young Latin players maybe, but Renteria is great. Now the Cubs might, but really I see him as a National

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No. If we didn't have so many young Latin players maybe, but Renteria is great. Now the Cubs might, but really I see him as a National

time off or nationals is a good guess.

I think we go with the good Garcia all year, and the other Garcia until you call up Eloy in May/June. Latin players are ready sooner, and its not just experience, its science, in that they mature/develop a few years earlier genetically, as a general trend of hitting your period at what age, etc. Proven. Some of it is genetic, some of it is socioeconomic, as a person in a good situation sometimes incubates longer. If in poverty, or stress, your body tries to trigger development and get out of there.

He should be ready.

Can we sign a legit catcher? Or we aren't allowed to sign people in a rebuild? This squad could compete sooner than expected.

Viciousjay

Liked Posts:

You like our coach?! He's light years ahead of what we have...

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
time off or nationals is a good guess.

I think we go with the good Garcia all year, and the other Garcia until you call up Eloy in May/June. Latin players are ready sooner, and its not just experience, its science, in that they mature/develop a few years earlier genetically, as a general trend of hitting your period at what age, etc. Proven. Some of it is genetic, some of it is socioeconomic, as a person in a good situation sometimes incubates longer. If in poverty, or stress, your body tries to trigger development and get out of there.

He should be ready.

Can we sign a legit catcher? Or we aren't allowed to sign people in a rebuild? This squad could compete sooner than expected.

Our catchers were fine last year. Just holding until a couple of our kids are ready like Collins and Skoug

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Our catchers were fine last year. Just holding until a couple of our kids are ready like Collins and Skoug

the catcher is not fine. the 3B is not fine. the LF is not fine....

or this team would be good.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
the catcher is not fine. the 3B is not fine. the LF is not fine....

or this team would be good.

Yes it was, We were just over 700 OPS at the position. It's fine until we get to our kids.

3b is fine right now with Davidson. He's worth at least one full year if not two until Burger is ready or a possible deal in the 2018 FA Class.
LF is a place where we aren't fine, but we aren't clueless either. It's Eloy's for at least three years.

The team is going to be somewhere between 75-82 wins next season. That's fine for where we are in the rebuilding process.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
You like our coach?! He's light years ahead of what we have...

Our current coach likes his job and I think did pretty good with what he had to work with last season. Wish we had him during those wasted Ventura years

Now if we had a team built that Ventura had I might think about making a move but I think we are good to go right now. If we see players not progressing maybe at that point make a move

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
The Chicago White Sox have agreed to terms with right-handed pitcher Miguel González on a one-year, $4.75-million contract and designated outfielder Jacob May for assignment.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The Chicago White Sox have agreed to terms with right-handed pitcher Miguel González on a one-year, $4.75-million contract and designated outfielder Jacob May for assignment.
A very solid move. Perfect bridge to not rush Rodon and flippable. Great clubhouse guy as well and knows what the team is doing.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Mostly looking forward to seeing what we have with all our young pitchers. Hoping that Rodon can become that number one and the guys we've already called up continue to improve. Also interested to see who gets called up this season.

I think we're rebuilding the right way: by throwing bodies at the pitching staff. You can never have too much pitching. You never know who'll work out or flame out there so having a bunch of options is not a bad thing. Plus, if we hit on a good number of those guys and we need a position player or bat it's easier to flip a pitcher for quality players and prospects.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
We made a trade a few weeks ago I forgot the names involved. Did we get anyone good?