Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 22 of 37
  1. #1
    CCS Long Snapping Expert Grimson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    22,722
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Jonathan Toews Contract

    A few years into his albatross of a contract, how do you think he is performing?

    This isn't a troll thread, I'm honestly wondering. If you remember, I pointed out 3 years ago that he just wasn't himself anymore and ended up getting ridiculed and ultimately kicked off of the site for daring to criticize the captain.


    Hope everyone is doing well, it's been awhile!

  2. A message from our sponsors.


    Please Register(it's free!) and Login to get rid of this advertisement.


  3. #2
    CCS Donator Ares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    26,552

    Default

    You were correct back then and even more correct today.

    Dude is a lead weight holding this team down

  4. #3
    CCS Donator Spunky Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW Burbs
    Posts
    12,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A few years into his albatross of a contract, how do you think he is performing?

    This isn't a troll thread, I'm honestly wondering. If you remember, I pointed out 3 years ago that he just wasn't himself anymore and ended up getting ridiculed and ultimately kicked off of the site for daring to criticize the captain.


    Hope everyone is doing well, it's been awhile!
    Don't remember, did you start a thread aboot it or just mention it in someone elses ?

    But yep his #s are definitely on the decline.

  5. #4
    CCS Donator Spunky Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW Burbs
    Posts
    12,424

    Default

    For the second straight season, it felt like we watched Jonathan Toews go through a year in which he played very well, had solid underlying numbers, and yet due to voodoo or bad luck or the lack of lean meat in his diet he couldn’t find the score sheet. The hilarious part is he still put up 20 goals and 52 points in 74 games, which is still pretty damn good. But his paycheck and role demand more, and his play deserved it. Shall we?

    Jonathan Toews

    74 games, 20 goals, 32 assists, 52 points, -1, 47 PIM56.14 CF%, 4.79 CF% rel, 53.09 xGF%, 4.19 xGF% rel, 55.15 Zone Start Ratio
    I think there’s a lot of value in bookending the preview/review process with players as a writer, which is why I wanted to do this review for Toews after doing the preview earlier this year. Honestly, before looking into any of his numbers, I went back and read said player preview. That presented me with a problem – I, uh, think I might end up repeating myself from that post a lot.

    That’s because, like I said to open this one, Toews had another year comparable to his 2016-17 campaign. He had elite shot metrics with that 56.14 CF, the expected goals was nicely in his favor as well at 53.09, and yet a career low shooting percentage drives the production numbers down. Compare those expected goals to his actual GF% of 50.57 and it gives you an even better scope of just how bad his luck was. Spending damn near the entire year with Brandon Saad, who was going through the same damn thing (TEASER: review coming tomorrow from Mr. Pullega), didn’t really help matters.

    Let’s play a projection game. After shooting 9.5% this year, his first time below 10% in his career, Jonathan Toews’ career shooting percentage has now dropped to 14.1 percent. If he simply shot that rate this year, he’d have scored 10 more goals. 62 point year in 74 games. That’s good.
    Before these last two years, Toews was shooting 15.1% on his career – and while a one percent drop probably doesn’t strike you as huge, to drop a goal per 100 shots after just two seasons is kind of insane. If Toews had shot at 15.1% this year, he has 32 goals. Again, good.
    And again Brandon Saad’s career low shooting year definitely impacted Toews as well, likely on the assist side of the ledger. I won’t dig too much into the numbers so as not to steal Pullega’s thunder for tomorrow, but if Saad shot his career rate this year, I bet Toews added anywhere from 2-8 assists to his ledger as well.

    So the ultra-optimistic side of this projection game puts Toews at 32 goals and 40 assists, and if you play slightly more conservative you have him at 30 and 32. Either way, you’re looking at somewhere in the 65-70 point range in 74 games played. That is damn near elite production in today’s NHL. “But Twitter told me the sky is falling on Jonathan Toews,” you say! Twitter is wrong. It is always wrong.
    A while back I compared Toews to Anze Kopitar, and that comparison is still apt. Kopitar had a much worse 2016-17 than Toews in the luck department, but things swung his way in 2017-18 and he ended up with career highs in shooting percentage, goals, and points, and all of that earned him a Hart trophy nomination and he just might win the damn thing even though it should go to Nathan MacKinnon. But here’s the most encouraging part of Kopitar’s huge year as far as it applies to Toews – his combined shooting percentage from last year with a career low shooting percentage, and this year with the career high, sit right in line with his career numbers and his typical fluctuation of his career.

    Obviously there are flaws to some of this numerology I’m doing, but the over-arching point is that things aren’t all bad for Toews unless there is more to this whole thing than shooting percentage. The overall numbers don’t indicate that there is, though, meaning that unless there is some lingering injury that is somehow leading to the decline in shot conversion, everything we know about numbers and regression indicates that Captain Vegan is due for a correction.
    And if all else fails, maybe he should start eating steak again. How the fuck could anyone give up steak?

    link

  6. #5
    Scratched for Vorobiev LordKOTL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    6,573
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Not up to snuff in any stretch of the imagination, but I think at the time you sign him to that deal.

    I also think he's here for the duration. I just hope we can get another good year out of him. That being said though, while he was down this year so was almost everyone else and he was nowhere near the worst core player this past season; that dishonor goes to Keith.
    Hidden Content
    "Thank you Dr. Karpotsev...." ~Pat Foley
    Hidden Content

  7. #6
    All-Star anotheridiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,620

    Default

    pretty amazing that one of the top players in the league went thru so many concussions getting cross checked in front of the net into concussions 5 times and the league has done nothing about it.
    Cant blame Toews for his injuries, it may have saved Crawfords career.
    109 years since the last back to back world titles

  8. #7
    Scratched for Vorobiev LordKOTL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    6,573
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    pretty amazing that one of the top players in the league went thru so many concussions getting cross checked in front of the net into concussions 5 times and the league has done nothing about it.
    Cant blame Toews for his injuries, it may have saved Crawfords career.
    How do you figure? None of our players are anywhere near Crawford's crease, no D and certainly not Toews.
    Hidden Content
    "Thank you Dr. Karpotsev...." ~Pat Foley
    Hidden Content

  9. #8
    CCS Long Snapping Expert Grimson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    22,722
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    It's almost like I #calledit

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimson For This Useful Post:


  11. #9
    CCS Staff Bigfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    CCS Enforcer
    Posts
    6,759
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    not the same player he was when that contract was signed. He has became an anchor, and at best is a 3rd line C making 10.5m. Stuck with this contract until he retires, nobody would be dumb enough to take on that contract.

  12. #10
    Silicon Valley CA Bears H RacerX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    5,015
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Hyperbolic, he is playing like a solid #2 center.

  13. #11
    CCS Donator Tater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NW 'burbs
    Posts
    10,986
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's almost like I #calledit
    Negged.



    "Political Correctness is just Fascism disguised as Politeness!" - George Carlin -

  14. #12
    CCS Long Snapping Expert Grimson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    22,722
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hyperbolic, he is playing like a solid #2 center.
    $10.5M 2nd line C.

    Not buying it.

    He's trash and I was banned for identifying it three years ago.

    #calledit

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimson For This Useful Post:


  16. #13
    CCS Donator Spunky Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW Burbs
    Posts
    12,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    $10.5M 2nd line C.

    Not buying it.

    He's trash and I was banned for identifying it three years ago.

    #calledit
    Not buying it.

  17. #14
    CCS Long Snapping Expert Grimson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    22,722
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spunky Porkstacker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not buying it.
    You're right. It might have been 4 years ago.

  18. #15
    All-Star bamainatlanta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Cumming
    Posts
    9,461
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're right. It might have been 4 years ago.
    I thought you were banned for your constant shilling for those losers in NY....

  19. #16
    CCS Staff MassHavoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Forest Park
    Posts
    15,282
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A few years into his albatross of a contract, how do you think he is performing?

    This isn't a troll thread, I'm honestly wondering. If you remember, I pointed out 3 years ago that he just wasn't himself anymore and ended up getting ridiculed and ultimately kicked off of the site for daring to criticize the captain.


    Hope everyone is doing well, it's been awhile!
    It's laughable that you think you were kicked off the site for being critical of Captain Vegetable...
    Roooooooadddhouse....

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to MassHavoc For This Useful Post:


  21. #17
    All-Star anotheridiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordKOTL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How do you figure? None of our players are anywhere near Crawford's crease, no D and certainly not Toews.
    Crawfords crease? Toews was always willing to get to the front of the opponents net, suffered concussions he returned from early to get back in the game. He still gets there now and still gets cross checked to the back of the head.
    109 years since the last back to back world titles

  22. #18
    CCS Long Snapping Expert Grimson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    22,722
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MassHavoc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's laughable that you think you were kicked off the site for being critical of Captain Vegetable...
    It's laughable that it happened.

    Oh and... just another #CALLEDIT for good measure. A lot more people should be banned from this site for criticizing Toews over the last three years. SMH hypocrites.

  23. #19
    Scratched for Vorobiev LordKOTL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    6,573
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Crawfords crease? Toews was always willing to get to the front of the opponents net, suffered concussions he returned from early to get back in the game. He still gets there now and still gets cross checked to the back of the head.
    Then how did that save Crawford's career?

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
    Hidden Content
    "Thank you Dr. Karpotsev...." ~Pat Foley
    Hidden Content

  24. #20
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    8,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Crawfords crease? Toews was always willing to get to the front of the opponents net, suffered concussions he returned from early to get back in the game. He still gets there now and still gets cross checked to the back of the head.
    I sometimes wonder if the cumulative effects of Toews' widely documented (and no doubt undocumented) TBIs aren't the driving factor in his decline.

  25. #21
    All-Star anotheridiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordKOTL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Then how did that save Crawford's career?

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
    when I commented on the "mystery" reason for Crow being kept out the entire season, I commented to how the hawks let Toews get back into the game, then he suffered another concussion if not 2 when he came back too soon.

    If they agree that Toews' head is scrambled and made that the deciding factor on keeping Crow out the entire rest of the year so he can properly heal, it may save Crows career, since everyone sees Toews career as shot.

    We will only see if its true when Crow returns to form. There were no other reports of injuries to crawford.
    109 years since the last back to back world titles

  26. #22
    Scratched for Vorobiev LordKOTL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    6,573
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    when I commented on the "mystery" reason for Crow being kept out the entire season, I commented to how the hawks let Toews get back into the game, then he suffered another concussion if not 2 when he came back too soon.

    If they agree that Toews' head is scrambled and made that the deciding factor on keeping Crow out the entire rest of the year so he can properly heal, it may save Crows career, since everyone sees Toews career as shot.

    We will only see if its true when Crow returns to form. There were no other reports of injuries to crawford.
    Honestly, I thought the reason he was out *all* season was less about the severity of his concussion, and more about the fact that by the time he might have been ready to come back the 'hawks were so proper fucked that they might as well let him rest more and heal up--and then let the core suffer for the pants-downer they gave the fans.

    Can't prove either, though, but your explanation makes sense. I through you were implying Toews was helping clear Crawford's crease. No on has done that since like...2011.

    As for Crawford returning to form, I think there has to be tempered expectations. Crawford was playing a career year this past season. If his numbers are .918-.920 over the year that is his "form", in spite of being about .010 below his play this season.
    Hidden Content
    "Thank you Dr. Karpotsev...." ~Pat Foley
    Hidden Content

  27. A message from our sponsors.
    Please Register(it's free!) and Login to get rid of this advertisement.



    Do you want to advertise with ChiCitySports?
    Ranked #1 Chicagoland sports news and message board online.
    A great opportunity for advertising and exposure, with an active base of fresh consumers always looking for sports-related items and miscellaneous "guy stuff".
    Please go here if you are interested in a multitude of placements on this site.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •