Adipost’s Pivotal Play: Week #7 (Halloween Edition)

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Adipost’s Pivotal Play: Week #7 (Corny Halloween Edition)

For this weeks installment we will not be focusing on a specific play, but instead on a specific player. This player has a tumultuous relationship with the Chicago Bears fans. Sometimes we poked fun of Mcfat for being out of shape. Other times we resented Mcknee for seemingly always being injured. But when he is on the field and healthy, there is only one name that suits him. This is the terrifying true story aboot the reemergence of one...

skull_and_crossbones__symbol_for_poison_0071-1002-0615-1351_TN.jpg
. PERNELL MCFEAR
skull_and_crossbones__symbol_for_poison_0071-1002-0615-1351_TN.jpg

XsgfcYZ.jpg

tenor.gif

IN 10 PLAYS

PLAY #1

It’s the first play of the game after kickoff, and the Carolina Panthers have the ball. McPhee is lined up across from the Panthers left tackle, #75 Matt Kalil. This is going to be a designed run by #22 McCaffrey to go right at McPhee’s side, with the right guard #70 Turner pulling to the left and sealing off McPhee and creating the hole for the running back.

LTPLnAf.jpg

As Cam Newton hands the ball off to McCaffrey, the 310 lb right guard comes barreling in on McPhee with a head start while McPhee is completely stationary. What happens next is beautiful. As the collision occurs, McPhee gives up no ground. Instead McPhee delivers a shot of his own.

pUK89X6.jpg

Pernell McPhee delivered a message to the Carolina Panthers on the first play of the game. It was a two part message...

***FEAR (ALL-22 CLIP***

200.gif

And

***PAIN (TV CLIP)***

mcjjb0yuqygrybr5clym.gif

PLAY #2

It’s 3rd and 15 on the same drive. Now that the fear and pain has been established, the Panthers put a tight end on McPhee to help out the left tackle Kalil.

wBKcsdG.jpg

Now, this is no chip block and go. The TE’s only responsibility is to try to contain McPhee. Pernell takes on the challenge. At one point, the tight end had his arms around Mcphee’s Chest as the LT had his arms around Mcphee’s waist. Even still, McPhee still pushed the pocket enough for Newton to feel uncomfortable and slide in the pocket.

QQ4G6yL.jpg

8ULqRf2.jpg

Whenever Mcphee was on the field and wherever he was on the field, the Carolina Panthers had to account for him. On the same drive, McPhee lines up on the other side and the Panthers move the protection his way with the RT and RB.

VRzgtdH.jpg

PLAY #3

Still on the same exact drive, and the Panthers have first down at the Bears 25 yard line. Pernell McPhee is lined up on the right, while Cam Newton is lined up in a pistol formation with a RB to his right and a WR directly behind him.

GF9QYrw.jpg

What Cam Newton is trying to do here is get the defense to bite on the handoff to the RB. Specifically Danny Trevathan and Pernell McPhee.

PvCvWka.jpg

Newton tried to hold the fake for as long as he possibly can. Trevathan finally makes a move to the inside, but McPhee stands firm.

0BNRYeS.jpg

lFF2zGp.jpg

Because Newton took so long on the play fake, the timing of the play was disrupted and the WR that had lined up behind him has strayed too far away from him. Not only that, McPhee has cut off Newton’s running lane. This gives Newton the option of either getting drilled by McPhee or trying to heave the ball on a pitch back to a WR who was too far away.

P4HfpKi.jpg

ofrVgoY.jpg

Me2kHfv.jpg

Also of note, look at where Eddie Jackson is on the field right before the pitch. Wow.

4zQAvEl.jpg

***FUMBLE TD CLIP***

PLAY #4

Here is a 3rd and 10 for Carolina. McPhee is lined up on the left side of the field. On this play, the Panthers will initially leave in the TE and the RB to try and slow down McPhee.

Y8rcciP.jpg

The TE is the first to engage, trying to delay McPhee before heading out on his route. The RB stays in as well, just in case the TE missed his block.

WXlCRmw.jpg

And then the left tackle is the last line of defense, who McPhee bull rushes into the QB. The Panthers had to keep 7 blockers in against a 4 man rush. Because of this, they were only able to send out 3 receivers against 6 Bears in coverage. This type of protection leaves Cam Newton with 0 options to dump the ball off, and the pass rush got to him regardless.

YvZr79Y.jpg

rgaMJYJ.jpg

MCFEAR TE RB

PLAY #5

Second down in Bears territory, and Mcphee is lined up across the right tackle. Again, the Panthers will devote two blockers to try and slow down Mcphee. Yes, the fear is real.

R1wTrMM.jpg

As the ball is snapped, Mcfee is able to cut right in between the RT and RB trying to block him, so much so that even the RG finds it necessary to slide down and help.

1vWYlko.jpg

7o9b2un.jpg

With all this attention on the McFear, nobody notices Hicks bull rush the center right into Newton, hurrying his pass.

RxC6KjX.jpg

***MCFEAR HICKS ANGLE #1***

***MCFEAR HICKS ANGLE #2***

PLAY #666

It’s 3rd and 10, and the Carolina Panthers are starting to feel the game slipping away. McPhee is lined up across from the TE. So far up to this point, the Panthers either kept a TE/RB in to block McPhee, or they had somebody at least chip him. But the Panthers are becoming desperate, so they release the TE on his route immediately, leaving McPhee 1 on 1 with the LT.

Q0fndrs.jpg

mspAWwK.jpg

As they engage, McPhee effortlessly swats him away like a fly. While the Panthers did convert on this play, McPhee came an inch away from a blind side sack fumble.

bFdRnCo.jpg

VgqzFft.jpg

***MCFEAR ONE ON ONE***

PLAY #7

Here is an effort play I’d like to highlight. Mcphee takes on a double from the LT/LG at aboot the 25 yard line and somehow ends up on the other side past mid field in on the tackle.

iNbXJnr.jpg

MamyhGZ.jpg

BTPiY9P.jpg

PLAY #8

This play is absolutely sick. McPhee beats the LT immediately at the point of contact, simply embarrassed him.

ajWtucg.jpg

He sets up Kalil beautifully here. Notice Mcphee’s legs right before the point of contact. Instead of charging or trying to get around Kalil, he’s waiting him out. Once Kalil finally does make his move and puts his arm on his chest, McPhee explosively and powerfully swipes it away, leaving Kalil off balance and ashamed.

QgsAGPy.jpg

ihnroQV.jpg

7swYUWd.jpg

Once the LT has been dispatched, McPhee has a meeting with the LG. McFear promptly smacks him right in the mouf, and drives him directly into the QB.

8yfKzCA.jpg

Hicks wins his one on one battle with the RG and has a rendezvous with McPhee in the backfield.

PTKGBm0.jpg

ji2lUsR.png

***KALIL DESTROYED ANGLE #1***

***KALIL DESTROYED ANGLE #2***

PLAY #9

This is another one on one matchup between McPhee and the LT. If you’ve been paying attention, you should see a pattern. McPhee simply goes around Kalil this time and gets the sack on Newton.

djmHoXl.jpg

gWAoyMQ.jpg

YHdZcmr.jpg

I’d also like to take this time to pay my respects to the secondary, who played shutdown defense throughout the entire game, especially on this play.

dj6hkvQ.jpg

***MCFEAR AROUND LT ANGLE #1***

***MCFEAR AROUND LT ANGLE #2***

PLAY #10

Here is Carolina’s last stand, 3rd and 12 deep in their own territory with time running out. The bears send 5 rushers at Cam, along with a spy. This is great protection for the most part. You could park a garbage truck in that pocket. Unfortunately for the Panthers, when the McFear sets in, it doesn’t give a warning. McPhee bounces off the block from the LT and gets around the corner. At the same time, Cam Newton has identified a target right at the first down marker. As Newton is aboot to fire, the McFear hits.

vYa6nOp.jpg

YgyJC47.jpg

olRIxgp.jpg

rD8q2RB.jpg

***NEWTON’S LAST STAND ANGLE #1***

***NEWTON’s LAST STAND ANGLE #2***

PREVIOUSLY...

WEEK #6

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great break down Adi... it's nice to see McPhee making an impact. It really does take that Dline to a new level when he's in there.

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
On that face mask call on hicks I was screaming for the hands to the face on McPhee. This confirms it.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nice break down and a high effort post. Hicks gets a lot of credit (rightly so) but its nice to see the breakdown what others are doing as well.

Do Floyd next!

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And he's getting healthier each week...

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
I really look forward to these threads every week, great work as always.

Also, McPhee as great hands.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Damn bro did you start working on that post immediately after the game. TL;DR version...McPhee made it through the game uninjured and had a couple solid plays.

That's a lot of effort put into one post

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Reminds me of the good Ole days of July and August when people wanted to cut and trade Pernell.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks Adipost...

In play 9, take a look at what Hicks does to the guard. Sick!

Damn, that guard was DOA at Northwestern Memorial Hospital after that play. In play #4, Hicks breaks through 3 blocks on his way to a sack.

I really look forward to these threads every week, great work as always.

Also, McPhee as great hands.

Dude knows how to disengage blocks.

Damn bro did you start working on that post immediately after the game. TL;DR version...McPhee made it through the game uninjured and had a couple solid plays.

That's a lot of effort put into one post

Nah, I had to wait for the All-22 to come out.

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Thanks so much for making this post. Really great to watch the Panthers keep trying different "fixes," but the rest of the D simply continued to punish their OL. That's why I was excited for him long ago, I hope he can continue to play at such a high level.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
McPhee can obviously be a monster, but even in these highlights of McFear it is hard to ignore the awesomeness that is Hick.

Seriously, how in the hell did we manage to land a guy like Hicks!

But the combination of our entire D-line is really something to behold. In our Heyday with Tommie Harris, he was the real true superstar on that line, and the other guys were just good players. With this line, we have McFear, Hicks, Floyd, Goldman are all more than just a placeholder, they all individually are very good/great players, but combined they are a big reason that we have a damn good defense (top 5?).

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
Damn, that guard was DOA at Northwestern Memorial Hospital after that play. In play #4, Hicks breaks through 3 blocks on his way to a sack.

Dude knows how to disengage blocks.

Nah, I had to wait for the All-22 to come out.

Even more impressive is the recovery after either him or Goldman screwed up the stunt on #4.

He's just a complete animal out there. So much strength and passion.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
nice to see hicks, that guy is an absolute monster.

does anyone else think this was a little overrated? the plays against the TE's and guards were awesome...dont get me wrong its a huge confidence booster for mcphee but the plays against kalil? Kalil is a turnstile of a LT, former 1st rd bust with the vikes.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Best thread of the week.

Probably the best game we have seen from McPhee since year 1.

You will notice when Acho is on the field that the OLB across from him immediately gets double teamed. Will be nice to have a young athletic rookie in the rotation next year so offenses cannot slide the protection the minute Floyd or McPhee leave the game.