Cubs offseason rumors/transactions

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Making dumbass deals like this will lead to the Cubs downfall....and it could happen rather quickly. First you're probably forced to break up your middle infield which looked to be set for years plus another good player or two....whoops, there goes any depth you might have had. For what? Two pitchers. In case no one noticed, pitchers get injured about 10 times more than any other position. Jerry Reinsdorf, of all people, once said he'd never give a pitcher a long term deal...at the time, I had to agree with him. Of course, he was forced into wavering on that proclamation but given the incredible amount of injuries to their arms, elbows, wrists etc. it's just not worth the investment. I don't give a fuck how long the guy is affordable...it don't mean shit if he's affordably sitting on the DL. Do what you can in free agency and fuck the trades for pitching....even if you can't get what you need, you will still keep your team in order for future runs. I don't want to go back to the loveable loser crap....making stupid trades for pitchers is a fast track to disaster.

Not sure I follow you on this. The fact of the matter is you have to have pitchers whether they are bad investments or not. So what's your alternative here? Because the cubs don't have anyone right now who's capable of being a #4 starter. And they don't have anyone who's ready to close. I suppose you could argue for the idea of letting Edwards try but then you're risking a lot of the season on a guy who was shaky in the playoff. So your other alternative if you're not trading for pitching is to do exactly what you're saying they shouldn't which is to give FA long term deals.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm betting that Happ has a better career than Russel, Baez, Almora and one trick pony, Schwarber

Give him 575 AB and he will hit 30 HRS

It is pretty rare when a guy performs on a level above what scouts project. It is far more common to see a guy fall short. No one projected 30 out of him. They saw 20/20 with no plus position

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
It is pretty rare when a guy performs on a level above what scouts project. It is far more common to see a guy fall short. No one projected 30 out of him. They saw 20/20 with no plus position
I think these scouts are wrong. Happ had 24 HR over only 365 AB. Pretty damn good as a rookie. Over a full season with post rookie expereince he should be a 30 HR guy every year

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not sure I follow you on this. The fact of the matter is you have to have pitchers whether they are bad investments or not. So what's your alternative here? Because the cubs don't have anyone right now who's capable of being a #4 starter. And they don't have anyone who's ready to close. I suppose you could argue for the idea of letting Edwards try but then you're risking a lot of the season on a guy who was shaky in the playoff. So your other alternative if you're not trading for pitching is to do exactly what you're saying they shouldn't which is to give FA long term deals.

You deal from strength. Right now, there isn't much which forces them to weaken themselves in other areas and hope the pitchers they acquire both performs and stay healthy...with pitchers that's always a risk on both counts. It's just not the right time, so you do what you can in free agency and don't break up what you built. If it's not enough....it's not enough and you see what your options are the following season. Your young team stays intact and maybe there are some surprises during the year that allows for trades at another time. You know as well as I do that some of the Cub's pieces that are tradable did not have the kind of numbers that would get you what you need....hence, dealing now is dealing from weakness and that almost never works out well. Personally, I'd re-sign Wade and go from there. There are a lot of teams in baseball that aren't 5 deep in starters....you hope you find something in spring training.

Iceman2385

Liked Posts:
You deal from strength. Right now, there isn't much which forces them to weaken themselves in other areas and hope the pitchers they acquire both performs and stay healthy...with pitchers that's always a risk on both counts. It's just not the right time, so you do what you can in free agency and don't break up what you built. If it's not enough....it's not enough and you see what your options are the following season. Your young team stays intact and maybe there are some surprises during the year that allows for trades at another time. You know as well as I do that some of the Cub's pieces that are tradable did not have the kind of numbers that would get you what you need....hence, dealing now is dealing from weakness and that almost never works out well. Personally, I'd re-sign Wade and go from there. There are a lot of teams in baseball that aren't 5 deep in starters....you hope you find something in spring training.

So we're in a contention Window and ur answer is see what u can get in FA (with no examples) and hope to find a miracle in spring training? Geez. And personally I think trading Baez now is selling high. It's not like the 4 stRters we have now r slam dunks either, we definitely need some help w SP. Chatwood is definitely a question mark, granted he has some upside, but there's no way I'd want to count on him as playoff starter. Lester is getting older, no garuantee he regains form...it's possible he regresses. I have confidence in Q, but he wasn't dominant last year. Hendricks is my favorite, but he doesn't have dominant stuff. If we're trying to win a World Series next year r rotation needs help either thru trade or a big splash in FA...Arrieta or DArvish.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

I don't know how you figure Happ is selling low. I mean he'd basically have to hit 30-35 HRs next year to be better than he was. Sure he has some room for improvement but that's almost certainly baked into his trade value. Schwarber I wouldn't trade. As for Baez, i mean it really comes down to whether or not you think he's going to break through offensively. I'm not going to rant on why I doubt he will. I've certainly said enough on the matter that people know where I stand. At the moment you're looking at a glove first defender who is a career .255/.300/.427 hitter over 1267 PAs.

If it were up to me, I wouldn't give up any of those 3 for Colome. As I have mentioned above I think his value is essentially what the Red Sox gave up for Thornburg. If you can make that deal without giving up any of those three and without giving Ademan and the top group of pitchers why wouldn't you? For example, if the best pitcher you give up is say Hatch and the best player overall you give up is Caratini are you really hurting the club?

In terms of Archer, if it were up to me I'd likely offer Baez as the centerpiece. I get why people like him but the guy hasn't hit RHP and that's roughly 75% of the people you see. He's a career .242/.282/.398 hitter vs RHP(76 wRC+) over 865 PAs. Maybe he makes adjustments in the future and maybe he doesn't. But we already know that Happ can hit. And while he's not Baez defensively he's not going to kill you either. You'd need to sign some minor league depth behind Russell at SS in case of injury but if Baez is the center piece of a trade for Archer I think you're solving one of your issues from a strength. Obviously it depends on what goes with Baez in that sort of offer but so long as it's not an additional one of Happ/Schwarber and preferably not Alberots I think there's plenty left over. For example, even if you were to give up Baez, Alzolay and De La Cruz for Archer(plus some likely non-top 30 guys) you have a rotation set for the next 3 or so years and you'd still have Albertos, Lange, and Little.

Overall though i'm still not sure Tampa deals Archer. But with regard to Colome they are basically over a barrel. It's not quite to the level that Miami was with Stanton but it's not like they have the money to hold out. They gotta make the best deal they can which puts quite a bit more pressure on them to yield than the cubs.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I'm betting that Happ has a better career than Russel, Baez, Almora and one trick pony, Schwarber

Give him 575 AB and he will hit 30 HRS

He will never be the defender Russell and Baez are, and that is a huge factor, underrated by many.

If you allow runs defensively, but hit HR's and drive in runs, people gush. But you win by preventing runs. I like Happ, but play him 162 games at 2nd base instead of Baez, and he better hit 90 HR's.

Besides, it's not like the 30 he hits is instead of 2 by Baez. Baez will be 20+ easy.

"Better career" means more accumulated offensive numbers, right? Considering half the game is a bad way to evaluate a player.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I don't know how you figure Happ is selling low. I mean he'd basically have to hit 30-35 HRs next year to be better than he was. Sure he has some room for improvement but that's almost certainly baked into his trade value. Schwarber I wouldn't trade. As for Baez, i mean it really comes down to whether or not you think he's going to break through offensively. I'm not going to rant on why I doubt he will. I've certainly said enough on the matter that people know where I stand. At the moment you're looking at a glove first defender who is a career .255/.300/.427 hitter over 1267 PAs.

If it were up to me, I wouldn't give up any of those 3 for Colome. As I have mentioned above I think his value is essentially what the Red Sox gave up for Thornburg. If you can make that deal without giving up any of those three and without giving Ademan and the top group of pitchers why wouldn't you? For example, if the best pitcher you give up is say Hatch and the best player overall you give up is Caratini are you really hurting the club?

In terms of Archer, if it were up to me I'd likely offer Baez as the centerpiece. I get why people like him but the guy hasn't hit RHP and that's roughly 75% of the people you see. He's a career .242/.282/.398 hitter vs RHP(76 wRC+) over 865 PAs. Maybe he makes adjustments in the future and maybe he doesn't. But we already know that Happ can hit. And while he's not Baez defensively he's not going to kill you either. You'd need to sign some minor league depth behind Russell at SS in case of injury but if Baez is the center piece of a trade for Archer I think you're solving one of your issues from a strength. Obviously it depends on what goes with Baez in that sort of offer but so long as it's not an additional one of Happ/Schwarber and preferably not Alberots I think there's plenty left over. For example, even if you were to give up Baez, Alzolay and De La Cruz for Archer(plus some likely non-top 30 guys) you have a rotation set for the next 3 or so years and you'd still have Albertos, Lange, and Little.

Overall though i'm still not sure Tampa deals Archer. But with regard to Colome they are basically over a barrel. It's not quite to the level that Miami was with Stanton but it's not like they have the money to hold out. They gotta make the best deal they can which puts quite a bit more pressure on them to yield than the cubs.

You know, when a guy is ALL defense, like an Ozzie Smith or Omar Vizquel, people value their D, and nobody ever felt that those two didn't "break through". Vizquel ever gave anything offensively, and is currently eligible for the HOF, with a lot of people saying he belongs.

Baez just played terrific D, hit .274, and over 20 HR's, and we are discussing whether to trade him because he hasn't "broken through"???

Only because he was viewed as a huge HR guy when he came up do people look at him negatively now. How on earth is a gold glove caliber middle infielder, with the ability to play SS (not just 2nd), who has over 20 HR's considered a less than complete player.

List the better middle infielders. He's not at the top of MLB, but I would love to see a list of middle IF - SS or 2nd - that fans think are more valuable - and I say that as one who, as others, believes he may still "break through" and be better offensively.

Face it, if his "swing wildly" K's were ground outs, and all offensive numbers the same, people would talk about him differently. Only because he flails at balls and looks bad do people undervalue his actual offensive production.

Seriously, list the better middle infielders. I don't think the list is as long as some imply.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I think you are undervaluing Colome. 3 years of Arb and arguably top 3 closer in the game right now. As a F/A he would command more than Wade based off age.

Baez is a 2-3 WAR player. Happ and Schwarber put up 1.8-1.5 WAR. They and not valued as high as Baez and Russell. We are not talking 4 WAR players.... currently. Colome has higher value than any of them.

Add to it none of the top prospects are on any top 100 list. You are not getting Colome for a SH catcher with little power and questionable D. Maybe good but most likely league avg. and a MR prospect.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
He will never be the defender Russell and Baez are, and that is a huge factor, underrated by many.

If you allow runs defensively, but hit HR's and drive in runs, people gush. But you win by preventing runs. I like Happ, but play him 162 games at 2nd base instead of Baez, and he better hit 90 HR's.

Besides, it's not like the 30 he hits is instead of 2 by Baez. Baez will be 20+ easy.

"Better career" means more accumulated offensive numbers, right? Considering half the game is a bad way to evaluate a player.
Happ is the replacement for Schwarber not Baez. Happ is average on defense but will hit 30 HRs every year.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
You know, when a guy is ALL defense, like an Ozzie Smith or Omar Vizquel, people value their D, and nobody ever felt that those two didn't "break through". Vizquel ever gave anything offensively, and is currently eligible for the HOF, with a lot of people saying he belongs.

I mean look I already have said more than enough on why i dislike Baez. I don't think it's worth debating anymore. And I did acknowledge that people have reasons they can like Baez. They just differ in opinion. But to the point you're bringing up with Ozzie Smith and Vizquel, Ozzie Smith was a career .262/.337/.328 hitter. He's roughly 20 points better in average than Baez's career marks and roughly 40 points better in OBP. And while true he had no power, he' routinely during his prime was worth over 100 wRC+. Vizquel was a career .272/.336/.352 hitter. Again no power but his average and on base are rather substantially higher.

Regardless, there's a reason Baez has value. You literally outlined it. That's the entire reason he's worthy of being a center piece in a trade for someone like Archer. In fact, given he can probably also play SS for teams he's probably more valuable than Happ. The thing is that the cubs don't need him to play SS. And while Happ may be less value, Baez would make the total package required less than Happ.

If you were to tell me there were literally 0 difference in value between Happ and Baez and that you could get Archer with something like Happ/De La Cruz/Alzolay then fine. I'd consider moving Happ. But I don't think that is the case. And if Happ requires moving another big piece with him then is the value between him and Baez worth it? Plus at the end of the day a guy has to be able to hit RHP or else he's not a regular. Whatever your defense of Baez may be you have to acknowledge that hitting .242/.282/.398 vs RHP is abysmal. And RHP is something you see roughly 75% of the time. So when I'm talking about breaking through that's what I mean. Baez kills LHP which is fine but it's the short side of a platoon. To be an every day player you have to be better than he has been vs RHP.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

You have the advantage of somehow knowing these young kids that quite frankly some of, I've never even heard of. As for the ML Cubs, the names I was thinking of were Schwarber and Baez. I agree with you that there's no way you trade Schwarber at this time as there's no way you could get a fair return for what he could turn out to be. Baez...I like the way he works with Russell, I love his versatility and while there's way too many times where I believe that his swings are predetermined before the pitch is even made...I still have to keep him has he has a bit of clutch to him and seems to play to the moment. Those were the two I was referring to. All I know about the kids in the minors is what I read...I'm not a big stats guy, I need to see them to get a good read. As for Happ, he won't get you what you want...it would take him, Baez and more. There's go your proven depth and now your backups are unproven minor league players or end of their career players that nobody else wants. So, you make this deal and maybe, just maybe these pitchers stay healthy...you successfully plugged a hole in the dyke. But now you're opening new ones with no position players to properly fill them because you traded two very versatile players. It's just timing....I just don't think the timing is right. Ride it out, till it is.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think you could say Archer is worth 1 ML and 2 SP prospects.

Colome 1 ML and 1 SP prospect.

That is why I wouldn’t deal unless they go after Cain. A OF of Cain/Almora/Heyward. With Happ mixing in. Pretty strong.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So MLTR has them still in on Cobb also. Has the feel of darts and blindfolds

Iceman2385

Liked Posts:

That is why I wouldn’t deal unless they go after Cain. A OF of Cain/Almora/Heyward. With Happ mixing in. Pretty strong.

If that's what Archer and Colome r worth that's easy don't get Colome and trade for Archer. Trade Baez and 2 SP prospects done deal. Sign two of Shaw, Reed, or Morrow and we just had a fantastic offseason.

I like the idea of Colome bc he's slightly cheaper then the guys in FA, has closing experience, is similar or arguably better then possible FAs and isn't going to cost too much in prospects.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

You're way off on Colome. Cubs wouldn't deal Schwarber for Miller or Chapman. The Indians didn't give up any MLB players for Miller. Melancon was dealt for Taylor Hearn and Felipe Rivero. Think Rivero was AAA ready but comparing him to say Happ in value isn't even close. Kimbrel was traded for Logan Allen, Javier Guerra, Carlos Asuaje and Manuel Margot. Think Asuaje was a near ready depth guy at the time and Margot was close to the majors. Regardless, all of those pitchers are likely better than Colome. Said it before and I'll say it again... compare him and Tyler Thornburg. Think that's the market. Their stats are nearly identical. Thornburg was 9.01 k/9 3.73 bb/9 on his career with 2.87/3.83 ERA/FIP. Colome is 7.99 k/9 2.90 bb/9 3.14/3.49 ERA/FIP. Obviously Thornburg looks a little worse bb/9 wise but that was largely earlier in his career. The previous 2 years before getting dealt he was at 11.0 k/9 and 3.3 with a 2.66/3.61 ERA/FIP.

And ok the Brewers got Shaw for him but Shaw is no where near the player Happ is scouting wise. He's probably closer to Caratini. Dubon is an interesting enough name but he's not a star prospect. And the other two guys were largely filler. Simply put you're not going to give up that much for Colome. The Rays have to move someone and he's the easiest piece to move without totally gutting their team. And from a value stand point he's the least value per dollar.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
You're way off on Colome. Cubs wouldn't deal Schwarber for Miller or Chapman. The Indians didn't give up any MLB players for Miller. Melancon was dealt for Taylor Hearn and Felipe Rivero. Think Rivero was AAA ready but comparing him to say Happ in value isn't even close. Kimbrel was traded for Logan Allen, Javier Guerra, Carlos Asuaje and Manuel Margot. Think Asuaje was a near ready depth guy at the time and Margot was close to the majors. Regardless, all of those pitchers are likely better than Colome. Said it before and I'll say it again... compare him and Tyler Thornburg. Think that's the market. Their stats are nearly identical. Thornburg was 9.01 k/9 3.73 bb/9 on his career with 2.87/3.83 ERA/FIP. Colome is 7.99 k/9 2.90 bb/9 3.14/3.49 ERA/FIP. Obviously Thornburg looks a little worse bb/9 wise but that was largely earlier in his career. The previous 2 years before getting dealt he was at 11.0 k/9 and 3.3 with a 2.66/3.61 ERA/FIP.

And ok the Brewers got Shaw for him but Shaw is no where near the player Happ is scouting wise. He's probably closer to Caratini. Dubon is an interesting enough name but he's not a star prospect. And the other two guys were largely filler. Simply put you're not going to give up that much for Colome. The Rays have to move someone and he's the easiest piece to move without totally gutting their team. And from a value stand point he's the least value per dollar.

Gotta say that was a different Schwarber though, not the kid that eventually struggled and failed. They lost out on selling high on Castro, we just hope Schwarber turns it around and finds that level that is expected from him.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs are going to be all in on Harper. They are going to want to move OF and see if someone will take Heyward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs are going to be all in on Harper. They are going to want to move OF and see if someone will take Heyward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The highest Avg per year is Zach Grenke’s 34+ mil per.

Highest contract is Stanton’s avg 25 per but total is 325 mil.

The whole 40 mil per is unprecedented in baseball.

In the NBA there are 3 player that make that coin but they are getting 6 year deals.

So unless Boras and Harper come back down to planet earth not many teams will talk to them.