Cubs offseason rumors/transactions

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Bruce Levine‏ @MLBBruceLevine
1h1 hour ago

Cubs Theo Epstein said it is likely nothing more gets done fir his club at the meetings which end tomorrow. " That can change with one phone call"
So when Hoyer said theyll add another pitcher before they leave , was he talking about Strailey ? SMDH

Expected alot more then just Smiley Chatwood and Morrow this week

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Names are starting to trickle out a potential deal with Cleveland: Happ for Salazar but Kipnis comes with as a salary dump. I'm down with that.

I'm playing catch up as I've been away for awhile. Care to mention where you saw this? Not doubting just want to read up more.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
So when Hoyer said theyll add another pitcher before they leave , was he talking about Strailey ? SMDH

Expected alot more then just Strailey Chatwood and Morrow this week

Another? Like the one they are betting $10 million on who recently had Tommy John surgery. :facepalm:

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So colorado went ham on relievers(Shaw, McGee and it sounds like they are likely to get Holland), the nats just re-signed Kintzler. I get the feeling Davis isn't priced right at the moment. Mets were supposedly looking to acquire relievers but i've heard 0 connection with them and davis. Simply put, I'm wondering if Davis just ends up getting say 3 years at $12-13 mil per with maybe a 4th year option. If the market for "elite" non-closers like Morrow is $9 mil over the first 2 years with a third year option, jumping from that to the projected $15 mil AAV for davis seems unlikely.

The market is quickly running out of buyers and given what the market has been for guys like Morrow I just struggle to see him getting more than 3-4 mil more than them per year. With that being said, if you get Davis for 3 years and say $36-40 mil with possibly a 4th year option... you gotta do that right? Obviously there's some minor gripes with his underlying numbers last year(walk rate was really high) but the guy was fantastic in actual results. And presumably part of the reason they fired Bosio was the walk rate of relievers as a team.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
So colorado went ham on relievers(Shaw, McGee and it sounds like they are likely to get Holland), the nats just re-signed Kintzler. I get the feeling Davis isn't priced right at the moment. Mets were supposedly looking to acquire relievers but i've heard 0 connection with them and davis. Simply put, I'm wondering if Davis just ends up getting say 3 years at $12-13 mil per with maybe a 4th year option. If the market for "elite" non-closers like Morrow is $9 mil over the first 2 years with a third year option, jumping from that to the projected $15 mil AAV for davis seems unlikely.

The market is quickly running out of buyers and given what the market has been for guys like Morrow I just struggle to see him getting more than 3-4 mil more than them per year. With that being said, if you get Davis for 3 years and say $36-40 mil with possibly a 4th year option... you gotta do that right? Obviously there's some minor gripes with his underlying numbers last year(walk rate was really high) but the guy was fantastic in actual results. And presumably part of the reason they fired Bosio was the walk rate of relievers as a team.
Im hoping Davis has an offer from cubs and is waiting til today to see if he gets better offer from somone else and if not agrees with cubs today....

I believe only Reed and Davis are left and not sure how many more teams are actually looking to spend on a closer...

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Reed signed with Philly. Holland is hung up arguing over years. That’s going to determine whether the Cubs make an offer to Davis. They won’t go four years.

One thing to remember is that Chatwood is the only pitcher of consequence to move and now teams are waiting on what Arizona does with Greinke to make plans which will hold up everything. Now NY, Philly and Texas are in on him. We might not see the Cubs finish up until after Christmas.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Ken Rosenthal

@Ken_Rosenthal
#Cubs in agreement with free-agent right-hander Steve Cishek, pending physical, sources tell The Athletic.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Sahadev Sharma

@sahadevsharma
RHP Pedro Araujo from Iowa Cubs selected by Baltimore in 2nd round of Rule 5 draft.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Ken Rosenthal

@Ken_Rosenthal
#Cubs in agreement with free-agent right-hander Steve Cishek, pending physical, sources tell The Athletic.

Cishek was really good in partial season with the rays last year(re hickey) 9.49 k/9 2.55 bb/9 1.09/2.14 ERA/FIP. Like him as depth but hoping that's not all the cubs do. He's also pretty strong against RH batters. .200/.267/.286 on his career .246 wOBA.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Carrie Muskat

@CarrieMuskat
Mets select SS Andrew Ely off #Cubs AA roster in Minor League phase of Rule 5

Not much of a loss. Pretty decent hitting SS but he has no power. Not sure about his defense as I've not heard much talk about him that I recall.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Carrie Muskat

@CarrieMuskat
Astros select LHP Chris Nunn off #Cubs AA roster in Minor League phase of Rule 5
'

Not 100% sure but I think this is the dude the cubs signed out of independent ball last year and made a handful of disappointing starts for them. As I recall he had some absurd games in indy ball prior to being quickly signed by the cubs but his results in AA were pretty meh for a 27 year old

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Carrie Muskat

@CarrieMuskat
Blue Jays picked C Alberto Mineo off #Cubs AA roster in Minor League phase of Rule 5

I know like... nothing about this guy. He was 23 in spent all of last year in south bend.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Cishek was really good in partial season with the rays last year(re hickey) 9.49 k/9 2.55 bb/9 1.09/2.14 ERA/FIP. Like him as depth but hoping that's not all the cubs do. He's also pretty strong against RH batters. .200/.267/.286 on his career .246 wOBA.

It's insurance if they can't get Davis. Morrow closes and Cishek pitches the 8th. He's a solid character guy too, does a lot of charity work in New England where he's from.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Jerry Crasnick

@jcrasnick
Steve Cishek’s deal with the #Cubs, as reported by @Ken_Rosenthal, is for two years in the $12-14 million range. Pending physical.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Ken Rosenthal
[emoji818]
@Ken_Rosenthal
Good pick up..
I knew they couldnt be done with pen

Would still like to add Davis back

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Good pick up..
I knew they couldnt be done with pen

Would still like to add Davis back

I see that the reports yesterday that Reed had signed with Philly were erroneous. I would say at this point that DAvis is the target with Reed as a backup. I don't think anything gets done until Holland's deal is final with Colorado. That's going to determine what they do. If he gets a 4th year I don't think we sign Davis as the two deals will probably be nearly identical.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Havent noticed anything...

I see the cubs lost some guys in rule 5
Did they add anyone

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Listening to St. Louis sports radio.

Fans calling in are wondering what they'll do with Dejong if they acquire both Machado AND Longoria.

Longoria, of course, would be a necessary addition, to help Rays with payroll, when the Cards acquire both Archer AND Colome.