Close
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default using a used hdd? raid?

ive never reused an old one, especially pulled from some unknown system. from a safety perspective, is a basic format fine? or should i run something like dban first?

may even set up raid0 wiff the 2-3 used ones just laying there to see how that works.

in raid0 do all the drives need to be the same size to begin or will mixing hdd sizes be fine. nix that.. googled me answer...

any other things to look out or advice/tips with a raid setup..

2. A message from our sponsors.

Please Register(it's free!) and Login to get rid of this advertisement.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Test the drive and use it. Don't trust an unknown drive with important information.

I wont stripe mixed drives. But using it as a mirror is fine.

Are you looking for HDD performance?

That is the only reason to stripe your drives... RAID0 provides nothing but a performance boost at the HDD level.

If you have no bottleneck on disk speeds I would not stripe them..... and if you stripe them, do not keep anything important/long-lived.

If you are putting nothing but game files from Steam on there which you can download again if lost, should be fine.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

yeah basically just steam games.. shits getting thick in me pc.. i wanna be able to have one massive drive my pc and the kids can pull games from.. thought id use used hdds to save money.. but used ones always scare me off.. i just dont know if dban is enough to clear them out n make them safe..

6. A message from our sponsors.
    Please Register(it's free!) and Login to get rid of this advertisement.

Do you want to advertise with ChiCitySports?
    Ranked #1 Chicagoland sports news and message board online.
    A great opportunity for advertising and exposure, with an active base of fresh consumers always looking for sports-related items and miscellaneous "guy stuff".
    Please go here if you are interested in a multitude of placements on this site.