Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The LA Rams Transformation - There is hope.

I have noticed a lot of references from various posters including myself in reference to both of these teams poor offenses and the quick transition the Rams were able to make in just one year with a couple personnel and coaching changes.

Let's have a quick snapshot of the numbers behind both offenses -

Points per game: LA - 14.0 CHI - 15.9
    Passing yards per game: LA - 184.4 (6.2 YPA) CHI - 160.3 (6.4 YPA)
    Rushing yards per game: LA - 78.3 (3.3 YPA) CHI - 115.5 (4.3 YPA)

Both offenses rank last in yards. The Rams also ranked last in points. The Bears surprisingly, rank 29th in points per game. Pretty similar in regards to ineptness but I must say that the Bears are pretty much better in every facet and the fact that they have been able to run the ball as effective as they have is actually quite impressive.

Now let's have a look at the personnel -

QB:
    Jared Goff vs Mitch Trubisky - PUSH

RB:
    Todd Gurley vs Jordan Howard/Tarik Cohen

WR:
    Tavon Austin, Kenny Britt, Brian Quick and Pharoh Cooper vs Dontrelle Inman, Markus Wheaton, Kendall Wright and Josh Bellamy

TE:
    Lance Kendricks and Tyler Higbee vs Zach Miller and Dion Sims

OL:
    LT - Greg Robinson vs Charles Leno JR
    LG - Roger Saffold vs Kyle Long
    C - Tim Barnes vs Cody Whitehair
    RG - Cody Wichmann vs Josh Sitton
    RT - Rob HAvenstein vs Bobbie Massie

To me, the Bears have an advantage at all of the bolded positions. QB is a push as I liked both guys coming out of the draft but you could probably give the edge to Trubisky when you look at just how bad Goff was last year. I like the combination of Howard and Cohen just a little more than I like Gurley but you could make an argument either way. There is a massive difference in the offensive line play and I think that's the difference here. The Bears have 3 very solid starters in Leno, Whitehair (even though he has struggled) and Sitton and another in Long if he can get his shit together.

So as bad as the you think the Bears offense is now, this is far from a lost cause nor does it show that its going to take years to rebuild like I have seen some posters outline.

Now let's look at the additions the Rams made tot ransform the offense -

Coaching - Obviously, the biggest transformation was Sean McVay who looks like he could be the next great coach in this league. It's unlikely the Bears are going to be able to find a guy this good, but he doesn't have to be as long as he puts together a solid all-around staff.

Personnel -
    - Andrew Whitworth
    - John Sullivan
    - Robert Woods
    - Sammy Watkins (via trade)
    - Cooper Kupp (3rd round pick)

Now to me, that's not a heck of a lot of assets sunk into the offense. Whitworth was their marquee signing and many thought he was going into decline slowly. John Sullivan is more of a veteran presence. Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp are solid but unspectacular and Sammy Watkins was acquired via trade and off the top of my head I am pretty sure the Rams offense was already chugging along pretty well before he started to get accustomed and produce.

Coaching and offensive line play to me, were the biggest differences in the Rams transformation and the Bears already some talent on the O-line. I do not think sinking money into some overpriced wide receiver free agent will be the answer but rather a solid coaching change and multiple, modest investments into improving the receivers. Making sure the O-line is fortified with Sitton getting older, Massie being underwhelming and Long always injured should be the main focus to protect Trubisky and open holes for our talented runners.
    The very first Trubeliever

Hidden Content

2. A message from our sponsors.

Please Register(it's free!) and Login to get rid of this advertisement.

3. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to PolarBear For This Useful Post:

I can't take you seriously because you didn't list Shaheen at TE...

Quote Originally Posted by Visionman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't take you seriously because you didn't list Shaheen at TE...
    Sims and Miller were starters over Shaheen. He has barely been a factor.

Hidden Content

That's because of clueless coaching. And those coach's haven't used Cohen very much either, BTW....

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Visionman For This Useful Post:

With good QB play and good coaching, we are 9-3 instead of 3-9 with loses to just TB, GB, and PHI. It’s fairly obvious to most people that our defense, running game, and line are all above average.

Very similar situation to LA.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bearshomer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You forgot the Benny Cunningham connection. That's what really makes the comparison full circle.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HawkBear For This Useful Post:

Who are the brain police? Enasic's Avatar

I agree with PolarBear. Finding a coach who isn't stuck in the stone age and could install an innovative offense will go a long way by itself. Replace Massie and more depth on the OL, and sign a Landry/Adams to go along with a 2nd or 3rd round WR and I think the offense will be very good as long as Trubs doesn't bust (which I don't think he will).

The Bears offense has struggled for 3 reasons, IMO. Mitch Trubisky needing time to adjust to the NFL game, abysmal receiving weapons, and poor coaching. All 3 of those things could be changed next season. Pace has to nail this hire and make sure his boy Trubs has all the support he needs to succeed and lead this team. If Pace doesn't land "the" guy, he's a goner in 2 seasons.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enasic For This Useful Post:

^ My name. What I say--> Starion's Avatar
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lightbulb

^ ^ This thread is what I've been trying to say along with:
    • Bears have #1 hardest strength of schedule now (gets easier, but tank-time now as evidenced by SF game)
    • Tons coming back from injury. I did say that last season too though (cursed)
    • Coaching has really gotten terrible lately (inside tank-job conspiracy?) haa
    • 6 of 9 losses all by 1 score or less (2 of the 3 big losses were b/c of Glennon, while the 3rd was to #1 team in Philly while starting street backups). It adds up.

Enjoy the ride til off-season where scores are doubled and things can really change!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Starion For This Useful Post:

1. The Rams hired a super star coach. I am working on a breakdown of their offense for a LaFleur thread and McVay is an animal. Dude flat out dominates defenses with his play calling.

So far the only evidence we have is that Pace sucks at hiring coaches.

2. The Rams crushed free agency by signing Whitworth, Sullivan, Woods and Trading for Watkins. All have started at a very high level.

3. The Rams, without a 1st round pick, added 2 starters on offense (Everett and Kupp), 1 starter on defense (Johnson) and another offensive contributor (Reynolds)

So if Pace crushed the HC hire, the draft and Free agency we have a chance.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WindyCity For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity View Post
    1. The Rams hired a super star coach. I am working on a breakdown of their offense for a LaFleur thread and McVay is an animal. Dude flat out dominates defenses with his play calling.

So far the only evidence we have is that Pace sucks at hiring coaches.

2. The Rams crushed free agency by signing Whitworth, Sullivan, Woods and Trading for Watkins. All have started at a very high level.

3. The Rams, without a 1st round pick, added 2 starters on offense (Everett and Kupp), 1 starter on defense (Johnson) and another offensive contributor (Reynolds)

So if Pace crushed the HC hire, the draft and Free agency we have a chance.
    Pace has to nail the coaching hire. That's the key. If he just has an aerage FA/draft that will be fine as long as he nails this coaching hire. I don't think there is as much pressure personnel wise IMO. The Rams lacked more talent on offense than the Bears did.

Hidden Content

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PolarBear For This Useful Post:

thats why we should hire lafleur.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
    Pace has to nail the coaching hire. That's the key. If he just has an aerage FA/draft that will be fine as long as he nails this coaching hire. I don't think there is as much pressure personnel wise IMO. The Rams lacked more talent on offense than the Bears did.
    The Bears have a slightly better line. That is all in terms of areas where they are stronger than the 2016 Rams.

You want a big turn around he needs to crush all 3.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

rams d has more playmakers.. they take the ball away and sack ppl.. there d isnt as stout as it was but its serviceable.. bears are competitive/better in some stat categories with the rams d.. but id still take the rams d ova da burrs.. ..

Not this stupid shit again...

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Not this stupid shit again...
    People need hope.

The Rams are unrealistic. They literally had the perfect offseason.

More realistic is you hire a good coach, not a superstar, you sign a few decent free agents and your top pick is good and you win 7-8 games.

Bills Board Hall of Famer ruprecht's Avatar

Btw, the Rams haven't won shit yet. Crown their asses if you want but.........
    Well, that's no ordinary rabbit.

Bills Board Hall of Famer ruprecht's Avatar

Sims and Miller were starters over Shaheen. He has barely been a factor.
    Because of the coaches.
    Well, that's no ordinary rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by ruprecht View Post
    Because of the coaches.
    Doesn't matter why, why would I mention him when he has been the #3 TE this year?

Hidden Content

The Bears have a slightly better line. That is all in terms of areas where they are stronger than the 2016 Rams.

You want a big turn around he needs to crush all 3.
    The line is a lot better. They average an entire yard per rush more. The Bears do struggle more in pass pro but that Rams O-line was shot in run and pass pro.

An offensive coach, 2 or 3 new receivers, a new RT and depth on the O-line and you got yourself a much improved offense.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by ruprecht View Post
    Btw, the Rams haven't won shit yet. Crown their asses if you want but.........
    They have almost won as many games in 1 season as the Bears have in 3 years under Pace and Fox.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WindyCity For This Useful Post:

The line is a lot better. They average an entire yard per rush more. The Bears do struggle more in pass pro but that Rams O-line was shot in run and pass pro.

An offensive coach, 2 or 3 new receivers, a new RT and depth on the O-line and you got yourself a much improved offense.
    You do know that is a lot to add correct?

The Bears went 1/6 in multi year free agent signings last season, now they need to sign and hit on 2 free agent WRs? That is a big jump for them.

People need hope.

The Rams are unrealistic. They literally had the perfect offseason.

More realistic is you hire a good coach, not a superstar, you sign a few decent free agents and your top pick is good and you win 7-8 games.
    I completely agree. I do think that we are one outstanding pass rusher away from being really good on defense though. If we got Bradley Chubb and signed devante Adams ( I don't LOVE him, but he's probably the best of what will be available) maybe we get lucky with a head coach and our offense takes off. A middle of the pack passing game, with our good running game and a defense that can get after the QB would be enough for us to compete for a playoff spot. Granted, it's a big ask...

33. A message from our sponsors.
    Please Register(it's free!) and Login to get rid of this advertisement.

Do you want to advertise with ChiCitySports?
    Ranked #1 Chicagoland sports news and message board online.
    A great opportunity for advertising and exposure, with an active base of fresh consumers always looking for sports-related items and miscellaneous "guy stuff".
    Please go here if you are interested in a multitude of placements on this site.
  34. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicker For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast