Toub Effect Coaching Off Season

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
DeFillpo would be running Dave Toub's offensive system so as long as Dave Toub is in Chicago he's not learning a new system. We can't rely on offensive coordinators we need a coach that has a strong understanding of how an efficient offense in run and one that works well with our QB and talent.

I want DeFlilpo as more depth that can help Trubisky grow in the short term.

What is Dave Toubs offensive system?

He knows special teams. Being an OC requires a PHD understanding of offense and you don't get that designing punt blocks.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If the bears had to switch to a 4-3 my front 7 would look like this.

DE NT 3-technique DT DE
Bullard Goldman Hicks Houston

LB IL LB
McPhee Find one Floyd

Floyd would have to play to role rosey colvin did for the bears. Not Ideal but you just need to have good players and you can play any defense you need. Urlacher and Mike Brown and also Tillman and Briggs(They were rookies in Juarons last season) were good in Juarons and Lovies D.

McPhee is slower than Akiem Hicks.

That is the slowest front 7 ever constructed.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Is that right??? How many D coordinators do you know of that flip flop between the two???

Most D Coordinators get an understanding of a defense and mold it to there personal style look at Vic Fangio he doesn't run a classic 3-4, heck on some plays he is running a 4-3 defense also do you really like John Fox a 4-3 guy as most would call him running a team with a 3-4 defense and D coordinator.

As for how many guys flip between the two you'd be surprised.

Matt Patricia and the Patriots are one.

In 2016, you’re seeing almost entirely 4–3, where in 2012–2014, 3–4 was the norm. It all depends on what personnel they have at any given time. The scheme depends on the opposing offensive team not getting big plays, thereby forcing the offense to put together drives with many plays for scores, and in the process increasing the likelihood for a turnover while the offense is on the field.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-Matt-Patricias-defensive-strategy

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That's what happens when you have a lack of talent.

McPhee is going to be cut.

This would be our 4-3

1st round pick, Hicks, Goldman, Floyd

Jones, Trevathan, Free Agent/Kwiatowski

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
McPhee is going to be cut.

This would be our 4-3

1st round pick, Hicks, Goldman, Floyd

Jones, Trevathan, Free Agent/Kwiatowski

Not bad. Still need playmakers. Dont think floyd would cut it has de.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
What is Dave Toubs offensive system?

He knows special teams. Being an OC requires a PHD understanding of offense and you don't get that designing punt blocks.

He's about as well rounded as a coach as you can get he was an offensive lineman in college and at the NFL level and has also worked as a defensive line coach.

"Designing punt blocks" Really Windy? Did your account get hacked or you just bitter about the state of the Bears?

Here is a quote from Andy Reid

“Special-teams coaches are a unique breed. They don’t get enough credit for what they do and what they have to deal with. They deal with the media, the offense, the defense, they deal with the whole gamut. I just think they are as close to anybody as ready to be a head coach.”

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Not bad. Still need playmakers. Dont think floyd would cut it has de.

McPhee isn't worth the money I could see us keeping Willie Young for another season only because he is dirt cheap and you can get some good value out of him if he manages to not end up on IR.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He's about as well rounded as a coach as you can get he was an offensive lineman in college and at the NFL level and has also worked as a defensive line coach.

"Designing punt blocks" Really Windy? Did your account get hacked or you just bitter about the state of the Bears?

Here is a quote from Andy Reid

Not bitter. Just think it is a stupid idea to hire a special teams coach to develop a QB and revamp an offense.

Like hiring a great plumber to rewire your house.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
If Pace were to advocate hiring Toub, it would change my opinion of him and I would want to see him fired.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Pace were to advocate hiring Toub, it would change my opinion of him and I would want to see him fired.

Something we agree on.

If you are going to hire a non-offensive coach, you need to hire an old/fired HC to run the offense. Someone who is not going to leave Ina year.

Adam Gase leaving screwed the Bears for the last 2 years because Loggains sucks.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Not bitter. Just think it is a stupid idea to hire a special teams coach to develop a QB and revamp an offense.

Like hiring a great plumber to rewire your house.

I guess we can agree to disagree.

Bill Belichick is a defensive mind but can still run a pretty good regardless of the offensive coordinator and he's not the only one.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
At this point I'll be happy with just about anyone.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Bill Belichick is a defensive mind but can still run a pretty good regardless of the offensive coordinator and he's not the only one.

1. Greatest coach of all time

2. Greatest QB of all time

3. Somehow keeps the same OCs around for a long time

I have no problem with a defensive coach, but you need to hire Todd Haley and not a guy who will be gone after 1 year.

You want to destroy your QB chance play callers every year or 2. We lived that already.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Meat ball is strong in this one...

You could say the same thing about any Coach ...

What is DeFlipper and Nagy's Defensive philosohy? Because neither has been in the league long enough to have one..Who are they going to hire?? You think they are going to raid the staffs they work on now? You think their current teams will allow that...LOL

I find it funny that neither one of these O Coordinator guys have really accomplished anything in the league of significance other than a couple commentators mentioned they are the smartest guys in the room. Other than that unimpressed.

What was/is Ron Rivera's offensive philosophy? He had to go out and hire a guy..

What is Sean Paytons Defensive philosophy? He cycled through several D coordinators..

We hired the smartest guy in the room, Offensive guy with Trestman and the guy was a absolute shit leader/ shit manager- Our Defense was one of the worst in Bears history...

So I don't buy we have to have an offensive mind as a head coach - We need a good football coach that can manage the whole fucking team - Both sides of the ball Players and staff

Lane Kiffen was considered a young inspiring coach before McVay - you see how that worked out-

It doesn't work every time- Even if McVay is successful as a young guy - With the 10 youngest guys in the NFL coaching tree, only 3 were successful (Including McVay)

https://www.si.com/nfl/photo/2017/01/13/youngest-nfl-head-coaches#1

Its all about getting the right guys in the right places-

dbldrew

Liked Posts:

What is DeFlipper and Nagy's Defensive philosohy? Because neither has been in the league long enough to have one..Who are they going to hire?? You think they are going to raid the staffs they work on now? You think their current teams will allow that...LOL

I find it funny that neither one of these O Coordinator guys have really accomplished anything in the league of significance other than a couple commentators mentioned they are the smartest guys in the room. Other than that unimpressed.

What was/is Ron Rivera's offensive philosophy? He had to go out and hire a guy..

What is Sean Paytons Defensive philosophy? He cycled through several D coordinators..

We hired the smartest guy in the room, Offensive guy with Trestman and the guy was a absolute shit leader/ shit manager- Our Defense was one of the worst in Bears history...

So I don't buy we have to have an offensive mind as a head coach - We need a good football coach that can manage the whole fucking team - Both sides of the ball Players and staff

Lane Kiffen was considered a young inspiring coach before McVay - you see how that worked out-

It doesn't work every time- Even if McVay is successful as a young guy - With the 10 youngest guys in the NFL coaching tree, only 3 were successful (Including McVay)

there are plenty of Defensive HC that have worked out through the years.. But you have to ask yourself just a couple of questions..

Does the rules favor offense or defense?

and will changing OC every few years help or hurt your young inexperienced QB?

Its kind of a pointless discussion because if Pace was open to the idea of a defensive minded HC then Fox would already be gone and Vic would be running the show right now..

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I used to favor a HC that would just hire quality coordinators and let them do their thing. Let an experienced HC keep the team stable, and a young innovative OC design an offense. But I'm coming around to see a need for stability in the offense, especially in this QB driven league when that position requires such an investment of resources. Find an offensive HC with a solid system, who can bring in an OC that can add a couple innovative wrinkles to it, but the core philosophy stays the same. That way, if/when that OC ever leaves, the wheel don't completely fall off...

doctorbear

Liked Posts:

Brings up best coach in NFL history as counterpoint. Somehow Toub can do what Belichick does.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:

How the fuck was Trestman the smartest guy in the room? He was exiled to Canada because he sucks dick and only the Bears were bad enough to hire him. You guys are literally bringing up the best and worst coaches to support your point. Want to bring up a positive example? Name drop Belichick. A negative one? Bring up trestman.