Adipost’s Pivotal Play: Week #15 (“it” factor edition)

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So I’ve been reading a lot recently aboot how worried some of you individuals are concerning Mitchell Trubisky. Apparently, Trubisky has yet to show flashes of greatness. He doesn’t have the “it” factor. Well, I bet these 5 Detroit Lions defenders standing there in utter disbelief staring at each other would beg to differ...

C-G4Hg.gif

This play that I am aboot to highlight is SPECIAL, like top pick in the draft special. It occurred near the end of the third quarter. The first play of this drive saw back up guard Bradley Sowell make his first appearance in the game, and he of course proceeded to let his man get through the line almost untouched and sack Trubisky.

Sowell Sack

The second play was an incompletion, leading to a 3rd down and 18 on their own 39 yard line. Near the line of scrimmage, Trubisky is in the shotgun with Cunningham lined up to his right. At the line from left to right, Leno/Sitton/Whitehair/Sowell/Massie. TE Brown is lined up to the right of Massie. Detroit has 4 defenders along the line and a middle linebacker.

gUAlyAG.jpg

The Bears have 3 receivers lined up on the outside. Wheaton is the X on the bottom of the screen with Tarik Cohen in the slot next to him. Kendall Wright is the Z on the other side of the field.

UvyiEWv.jpg

The Lions have 6 defensive backs on the field. Four of the Db’s are lined up extremely deep down field. The Lions are conceiting any underneath routes, as they will be guarding the first down marker near the Lions 40 yard line.

C76SIkg.jpg

As the ball is snapped, Benny Cunningham stays in to block. Kendall Wright runs a slant and is Trubisky’s dump off option. Brown/Cohen/Wheaton all release into routes that will be attacking the first down area deep down field.

LfzUrlf.jpg

Once the Lions middle linebacker reads the play a pass, he quickly back pedals into the deep middle. The two defensive backs near the line of scrimmage back peddle into a deep underneath zone, not concerned with Kendal Wright. The 4 deep DB’s guard the 1st down marker. There are now 7 Lions defenders in deep coverage.

NpEh7QS.jpg

Now, the only way at any possibility of a first down on this type of play is giving the QB time to throw, as he needs to wait for these 20+ yard drives to develop. Unfortunately for Trubisky, he’s not going to be afforded much of that. Much like two plays ago, RG Sowell is beat by the defensive tackle.

kwEnGoW.jpg

zk8z75N.jpg

Now Trubisky has pressure coming right up the middle at him in the form of a 300 lb lineman coming at full speed. With no time and no room to step up in the face of pressure, the only play here is the quick dump off to Wright.

TXDyN9n.jpg

But Trubisky is not aboot to settle. He boldly keeps his eyes downfield and begins his throwing motion.

BsQV5vO.jpg

3FVxekF.jpg

xW38EAv.jpg

OykMc9x.png

But what is it that he sees downfield at that very moment? Well, there is nothing there. Brown/Cohen/Wheaton are all hidden in between 7 gray jerseys. There are absolutely no windows to possibly throw between, as these guys are all 20 yards down the field. Take note of where Markus Wheaton is, just a touch past the 50 yard line. The red X signifies where Trubisky actually threw the ball.

CEqlSVX.jpg

And besides the fact that the protection breaks down and there is nobody open, you need to have a fooking rifle of an arm to get it in between a sea of 7 defenders more than 20 yards down field. Trubisky releases a laser as he is drilled in the chest, unable to fully step into the throw.

QHIfRMO.jpg

suXXMgE.jpg

The pass splits the zone of four defenders 22 yards down field as if it was thrown by God himself. The black X shows where Wheaton was as Trubisky was in his throwing motion.

Ny8LCwS.jpg

yXH7Awh.jpg

fM2yd2z.jpg

There are only maybe a handful of people in the world that could possibly make this throw.

th2TRYY.png

1FG4CWF.png

Db7GaUe.png

Hasn’t shown any “flashes”???

giphy.gif

VIDEO CLIPS

ANGLE #1

ANGLE #2

ANGLE #3

ANGLE #4

ANGLE #5

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Impressive. I’ve been critical of him taking the easy yards short of the sticks on 3 down. I really like to see this.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
One thing that you didn't mention is that the whole play was made possible because of Cohen. Because of him, the safety moves away from the spot where the ball ended up, giving Trubisky that little space that changed an interception to an exceptional pass.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
But he threw into quadruple coverage.v-: It didn't matter as much by that point but it's the type of play at the end of games that has a D shaking their heads in da feet.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
But he threw into quadruple coverage.v-: It didn't matter as much by that point but it's the type of play at the end of games that has a D shaking their heads in da feet.

Reminds me of Von Miller.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Ahhh back our regularly scheduled weekly Trubisky Ball washing.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nice work to the OP for going through all this, it must take serious time and effort, so no offense intended by this - but I am absolutely astonished that anyone cares this much about football.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
One thing that you didn't mention is that the whole play was made possible because of Cohen. Because of him, the safety moves away from the spot where the ball ended up, giving Trubisky that little space that changed an interception to an exceptional pass.

Another thing to note is that Cody Whitehair helps out the wrong guy....

Note he looks right at the DT who is mauling Sowell
28tj40.gif

But instead of helping him, he inexplicably decides to help out the Vet (Sitton) who has pad level and is easily containing his matchup.

30w9i12.gif

Leading to a free run at Trubisky.

2n9wefp.gif

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Another thing to note is that Cody Whitehair helps out the wrong guy....

Note he looks right at the DT who is mauling Sowell
28tj40.gif

But instead of helping him, he inexplicably decides to help out the Vet (Sitton) who has pad level and is easily containing his matchup.

30w9i12.gif

Leading to a free run at Trubisky.

2n9wefp.gif

I didn’t even notice that. It was Sowell’s 3rd snap of the game, should have been a no brainer.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Adiposts Long post

Did you happen to notice that he threw three interceptions??? I would bet that one of those was far more "Pivotal" in terms of the game outcome than one twenty yard throw in the third quarter when we were already getting our asses handed to us.... Just saying.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Why? So Munn can say something like, "So that is what it feels like for an NFL QB to actually touch me."?

B0udjMGCQAIP_3u.jpg

Trubisky: “ That’s coo, now watch this..”

images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/24500000/Grandma-s-Boy-jonah-hill-24570597-853-480.jpg

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Good work as usual. I vividly remember this play live. It was definitely a holy shit moment. Warner made mention of the play as well.

For all his rawness, these are the types of throws that many seasoned vets are incapable of making. There was another backed up on the goal line that was also a big time throw.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Did you happen to notice that he threw three interceptions??? I would bet that one of those was far more "Pivotal" in terms of the game outcome than one twenty yard throw in the third quarter when we were already getting our asses handed to us.... Just saying.

Apparently you didn't understand the purpose of this thread. It was to point out an impressive play that gives hope to Trubisky's development and future. The so called IT factor plays. Ergo the title of the thread...

If you want to focus on his mistakes and analyze those then that would be another thread. Perhaps you can make it yourself? "Clunker of the week" perhaps?

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Apparently you didn't understand the purpose of this thread. It was to point out an impressive play that gives hope to Trubisky's development and future. The so called IT factor plays. Ergo the title of the thread...

If you want to focus on his mistakes and analyze those then that would be another thread. Perhaps you can make it yourself? "Clunker of the week" perhaps?
I thought we were talking about a pivotal play, usually that relates to the game in question.

Maybe I don't understand how that play is pivotal to his it factor. As an it factor is something he either has or doesn't. I don't think one play is pivotal in proving that either, the it factor is proven to me when you win in close games consistently and bail your team out, something he hasn't shown yet.

So while he may have the it factor, that one play certainly doesn't prove it to me.

So maybe if we are going to have a pivotal thread we should have it about something that is actually pivotal.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk