Finally Upgraded my PC

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
https://www.costco.com/Dell-XPS-Tower---Intel-Core-i7---4GB-NVIDIA-Graphics.product.100380742.html

Processor & Memory:

8th Gen Intel® Core i7-8700 Processor 3.2GHz
16GB DDR4 2666 MHz RAM

Drives:

2TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
DVD-RW (Writes to DVD/CD)

Operating System:

Microsoft® Windows 10 Home(64-bit)

Graphics & Video:

4GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050Ti Graphics
Monitor Not Included

Communications:

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC (2x2 AC) + Bluetooth® 4.1

Audio:

Integrated 5.1 with Waves MaxxAudio® Processing

Keyboard & Mouse:

Dell Wired Keyboard + Laser Mouse

Ports & Slots:

3x USB 3.1 (1x Type C, 2x Type A)
6x USB 3.0
2x USB 2.0
1x HDMI
1x Combination Audio jack

Additional Information:

Dimensions: 15.1" x 7.0" x 13.3"

Now I know a lot of you will probably scoff at that, but that is FAR better than what I was using before.

Anyway. I would just like some outside perspective on if this machine will be alright for awhile or if I should be exploring a different route. With Costco, I have the option to return it for 90 days so I am really not on the hook if it is a shit machine. So be honest if you think it is garbage.

The one weird thing I have found so far is that it appears there are two power supplies??

The back cover had two lock in places and on some paperwork it said power supply one and power supply two. So I am not sure what that is about, of course there is only one place to plug it in so maybe they run off of that to a seperate supply for the graphics card.. I am not sure.

Also got a 27 in monitor that I am really enjoying so far. Now just need to get new internet which is coming in two weeks and I am SET!

Thanks in advance, and like I said be honest if you think I got taken as I still have time to return.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Regardless if the components are the best choice /direction: To build that system would cost ~$980(includes windows 10 home license). I just tallied it up real quick. *also, that is misleading, a prebuilt system has bloat and other issues, so performance would be slightly slower on a prebuild, even with a fresh format and clean install and all things being equal as far as optimizations.
Just for reference: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/j66FFd <-minus keyboard and mouse. Seriously, those are your hands, invest in something at some point that is better than OEM garbage.

It's not bad, actually a very good system, but here are my criticisms anyways. The optical drive isn't even Bluray. The Hard drive is a spinning disk. And it's a purchase on the tail-end of an industry wide fab-node changeover(basically lots of parts that are soon to be old tech at highest prices).

Also, your system has one power supply. Not sure why anything suggests there are two PSUs. Maybe just some confusing terms in a manual that was poorly translated somewhere.

So there ya go. Also tried to get in here before Aussie spent 2 pages trying to get you to buy an old Xeon system. <3

Last edited:

AussieBear

how small do they make ups these days? could they have thrown one in there..

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Regardless if the components are the best choice /direction: To build that system would cost ~$980(includes windows 10 home license). I just tallied it up real quick. *also, that is misleading, a prebuilt system has bloat and other issues, so performance would be slightly slower on a prebuild, even with a fresh format and clean install and all things being equal as far as optimizations.
Just for reference: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/j66FFd <-minus keyboard and mouse. Seriously, those are your hands, invest in something at some point that is better than OEM garbage.

It's not bad, actually a very good system, but here are my criticisms anyways. The optical drive isn't even Bluray. The Hard drive is a spinning disk. And it's a purchase on the tail-end of an industry wide fab-node changeover(basically lots of parts that are soon to be old tech at highest prices).

Also, your system has one power supply. Not sure why anything suggests there are two PSUs. Maybe just some confusing terms in a manual that was poorly translated somewhere.

So there ya go. Also tried to get in here before Aussie spent 2 pages trying to get you to buy an old Xeon system. <3

So to sum it up... I did alright?

Reactions: 1ke

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:

I am going to add a SSD at some point. I do not understand what you mean by fab node changeover.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I am going to add a SSD at some point. I do not understand what you mean by fab node changeover.

Cool cool on the ssd :hi5:

28nm to 14nm has been the standard lithography node for over two years(not from debut, but from point of mass adoption), actually much longer, but if I include 14nm, then I need to be fair. A lot of manufacturing output with memory modules(which are found within everything that uses any form of chip cache) are all on older 28-22nm nodes with 14nm and 12/10nm slipping in slowly for existing plants(not new fabs, that's a different strategy). Because of the slow turnaround and 14nm enhancements keeping the stage in life support, it became a contributing factor in failing to meet demands.

Just using ONE example, RAM, 16gb(2x8gb) 3000MHz DDR4 kits(and not garbage tier stuff, mind you) were $90 eight months ago, now they are around $210 for the identical kit.

That's a supply problem. So Samsung, Hynix, Micron, etc are all moving memory to smaller nodes much sooner to get more yield per wafer, rather than expand existing manufacturing. Manufacturers combat 'chip famine' by expanding existing fabrication. But to a consumer, it seems like shrinks are always the most logical. However, in physics, the circuit gates on one size don't work on another, requiring complete re-engineering. Plus the OEM needs to maintain stock for warranty and compatibility reasons, so they rarely all move forward quite like this. The last time I can remember was more due to earthquakes in 2000, which also killed rambus as a potential PC standard(thankfully). Memory then was 12x over MSRP for months before we saw a huge upgrade surge which skipped a node. Thankfully, even with the typhoon and cyclone season being rough in semiconductor manufacturing areas, this changeover is due to unexpected growth(by a lot of dumbasses betting the farm on the PC market getting replaced by mobile devices).

So this is one of those cases where the changeover is goofing costs up on all devices, because phones use memory modules, Video Cards use memory modules, HDDs use memory in addition to platters, SSDs do as well. Every other manufacturer that has spoken about it, has said there should be price relief sometime in late January. Which, if you look at the new stuff rolling out for engineering development, sounds accurate.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Oh, and yeah. That's a pretty boss prebuild system for the price. You did just fine.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Oh, and yeah. That's a pretty boss prebuild system for the price. You did just fine.

Thanks I thought it was a decent deal for 900, something that will work well for a few years then we can upgrade.

how small do they make ups these days? could they have thrown one in there..

I am not sure but there are two locks on the back, and I was looking at the paperwork telling me what everything is.

And it said "Power supply #1 lock" and "Power supply #2 lock" and as far apart as they are (One is right next to the power supply, and the other is down close to the graphics card) It just seemed strange to me.

Also, what is a xeon system?

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
K fellas. I'm looking to buy a gaming laptop. Just bare bones and cheap, but with enough quality to last. I know it's a bit of a contradiction. I just don't need a fully built super powered rig.

I'm still majority consoles, but my kids are slowly taking over my consoles, and the TV in our basement. So that leaves me needing a upgrade to my laptop anyway. Like I said, nothing too powerful, all I play is Football Manager, the Total War series, Cities, and a couple others.

So it seems the HP Omen and the Dell Inspiron are the top choices, maybe a Alienware, but may not be worth it to me. Any suggestions?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Need the budget and most demanding task. Is it a Desktop replacement, or are you moving it around like a literal lap-top.

And someone else would need to recommend HP products to you, I will never recommend them to anyone due to shady business practices. The only company that practices worse planned obsolescence models for hardware than Apple does for its software.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Need the budget and most demanding task. Is it a Desktop replacement, or are you moving it around like a literal lap-top.

And someone else would need to recommend HP products to you, I will never recommend them to anyone due to shady business practices. The only company that practices worse planned obsolescence models for hardware than Apple does for its software.

Literally a laptop.
800-1100
Im not brand loyal to any CPU company.
Main task will be playing games. But nothing overwhelming and no crazy 7 hour sessions or anything like that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Sounds like Sager territory to me.

https://www.sagernotebook.com/
*BTW, one of the most reliable brands, just not big on advertising. (hopefully I didn't jinx that for anyone)

IDK what size and other things you like, but add this to your list of sites to research.

Sounds like spec-wise, you're looking for a 7th gen Intel i5 or better, and a 1050 GeForce with 8-16gb of ram.

AMD Ryzen 2500U based laptops are also okay, but more geared towards users shaving a buck for more power doing every day tasks, and enough power to game occasionally, where a 7th-8th gen i5+ the 1050 geforce would be almost as good in every day tasks, but much better in demanding games.

Reactions: 1ke

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Thank you Crys