With the #8 pick in the draft, the Bears select the 2nd coming of DeMarcus Ware

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
It certainly would fit the Pace mold so I wouldn't be suprised, and based on the scouting reports, I wouldn't be upset.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
This is also one of those rare instances where you really do want to see how he tests at the combine.

He looks great against inferior talent on tape but is he actually an NFL level athlete.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Khalil Mack went to Buffalo and was drafted top 10. Ill keep an eye on him in the senior bowl. Thanks for the post.

Mack was the 5th player drafted that year! AND, he has more talent in his left ass-cheek than Davenport has totally.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
Given that the Bear's issues at WR can largely (hopefully) be solved in FA it allows for the Bears to focus on their other biggest issue namely that of OLB.

Thanks for the write up on Davenport. If Pace thinks he's the guy we should take him. He clearly has the potential to be a monster and the though of someone like him across from Floyd with Hicks and Goldman in the middle is pretty exciting.

Even better if we could get him on a trade back but if he's really that good then forget taking that risk and draft him at 8.

What do you think about Ogbonnia Okoronkwu another OLB that might suit the Bears and someone that could perhaps be had a little in the 1st or at some point in the 2nd if Pace decided to go OL or CB in the 1st round?

Huxster

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is he physically Shaun Oakman without the unhinged mental state !!??

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

These are the 2 most impressive plays to me. Look at that bend! The shortest distance to any point is a straight line. Often you'll see pass rushers take a rounded step and get behind the QB and have to cut the line to get a sack/breakup. He cuts the corner extremely well for a guy that's 6'7". That 1/2 second he cuts out by cutting the corner can be the difference between a hurry or sack and a QB being able to complete a pass with little hinderance. He's becoming a man crush of mine.

This is what I had to say a couple weeks ago.

Agreed. The Bears are in a tough spot. Chubb will probably be gone. Key is like a clone of Floyd, do you really want 2 of the same undersized edge players? Ferrell is potential and has shown flashes, but I'm starting to think he would be a reach at 8. I don't really like Landry that high and maybe not in the 1st at all. Honestly, depending on how he looks at the combine, I wouldn't mind Marcus Davenport that early if you're dead set on edge in the 1st. 6'7", 250lb guy from Texas San Antonio that can really play. Can really bend at that height and has good speed & natural strength.

I think people get hung up on "is he worth" the pick, but you evaluate correctly and he's actually good, nobody will care where he went in the draft. The problem with a guy being a bust early in the draft is not that he was a reach, even if he was. The problem is he just can't play. If a guy can't play doesn't matter if you take him at 8 or 108. Davenport looks like he can play to me. I don't know how great his coaching has been at UTSA, but imagine him with NFL coaching and strength training.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I’m looking forward to following him at senior bowl practices and the game. It will tell all.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I’m looking forward to following him at senior bowl practices and the game. It will tell all.

Yeah, it will be nice to see him against some big school OLmen.

Dude has physical tools, there is not doubting that.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Interesting analysis by the OP, but fails to discuss the most important measurable: Productivity. 8.5 sacks, good, but hardly the kind of number you'd like to see against inferior competition.

What really stood out to me was the fact that out of all the pass plays I watched, Davenport was in the backfield pressuring the QB almost half the time.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
No matter what the Bears need to attack the OLB position. I’m hoping for Trent Murphy, Attaochu and a draft pick. I could see Trent signing a prove it deal and Attaochu should be cheap but he’s still young with upside who fits in this D. If Davenport is legit then draft him and all of a sudden the OLB is stacked with talent. Floyd/Davenport/Murphy/Attaochu would be nasty.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
He definitely impress at the senior bowl.

He did. I pray Chubb somehow falls to us but Tremaine Edmunds and Marcus Davenport seem like Pace picks.

I trust the Vic Fangio seal of approval.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
He did. I pray Chubb somehow falls to us but Tremaine Edmunds and Marcus Davenport seem like Pace picks.

Agree, sometimes the best rated guy isn't the best guy.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I still think Davenport has the higher ceiling. I watched him cover a running back stride for stride down the sideline, and break up the pass. He has elite speed for an OLB. Urlacher speed, at 6’6” 265.

He can play standing up, and has 3 legit moves to hit a tackle with.

If it comes down to trading up for Chubb, or sitting pat, taking Davenport, and keeping picks, I’ll choose the latter. I think he has more ability to drop back in coverage than Chubb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk