Randy Rosario
Rob Zastryzny

Thoughts........

Better - About same - Worse
then 2017

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
I think it's more likely the Cubs pick up a veteran FA outfielder on a one-year, relatively cheap, as opposed to going into the season with Zagunis on the bench. Jay is still available, for example. I know the knocks against Jay -- not strong defensively, not a real high OBP, especially for a .300 hitter -- but even with twice the walk percentage, Zag's average (in very limited big-league at-bats, true) would make him a pure pinch-hit option, rately a starter. Same as Tommy.

Look at how heavily Joe used Martin at the end of last season. If not a deal for Jay, I gotta think there would be a FA we can snag who would be either a no-brainer late inning defensive sub in LF, or a more strategic pinch hitting tool off the bench than Zag...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Im ok with the position players..
Ive always wanted to see Almora get a shot at playing everyday or a lot more..
Guessing Happ will get plenty of PT in CF as the two will probably platoon some..

Love to see a full year of Russell and Baez up the middle...
Guessing Happ will get PT at 2B too and Baez will spell Russell at SS to give him days off...

Zobrist will get his ABs giving Schwarber and Heyward days off..

Caratini being a SH will probably also spell Rizzo at 1B to give him a break..

The Rotation....
Id be happier with another TOR type and push Monty back to the pen..

The Bullpen...
Would prefer a Closer added and Morrow as set up, but that not happening..

Bullpen pretty much set, only question remains is if Monty returns and Grimm pushed out if or when they add a SP..

Pen will then have 3 lefties and 3 righties with Morrow as closer

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Also, keep in mind the primary backup OF options will be Zo and Happ, so, instead of signing a FA outfielder, you could run with a third catcher (i.e., re-sign Avila or similar) and, as Joe likes to do, use the catchers as backup at 1B as well as in pinch hitting roles.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Im ok with the position players..
Ive always wanted to see Almora get a shot at playing everyday or a lot more..
Guessing Happ will get plenty of PT in CF as the two will probably platoon some..

Love to see a full year of Russell and Baez up the middle...
Guessing Happ will get PT at 2B too and Baez will spell Russell at SS to give him days off...

Zobrist will get his ABs giving Schwarber and Heyward days off..

Caratini being a SH will probably also spell Rizzo at 1B to give him a break..

The Rotation....
Id be happier with another TOR type and push Monty back to the pen..

The Bullpen...
Would prefer a Closer added and Morrow as set up, but that not happening..

Bullpen pretty much set, only question remains is if Monty returns and Grimm pushed out if or when they add a SP..

Pen will then have 3 lefties and 3 righties with Morrow as closer

You beat me to it, LOL. I wasn't addressing the pitchers, there.

I still think we see one more position player acquisition, maybe just before the season starts.

Getting ridiculous that we're 24 days before the pitcher/catcher report date, and less than one percent of the FA's have signed anywhere...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I think it's more likely the Cubs pick up a veteran FA outfielder on a one-year, relatively cheap, as opposed to going into the season with Zagunis on the bench. Jay is still available, for example. I know the knocks against Jay -- not strong defensively, not a real high OBP, especially for a .300 hitter -- but even with twice the walk percentage, Zag's average (in very limited big-league at-bats, true) would make him a pure pinch-hit option, rately a starter. Same as Tommy.

Look at how heavily Joe used Martin at the end of last season. If not a deal for Jay, I gotta think there would be a FA we can snag who would be either a no-brainer late inning defensive sub in LF, or a more strategic pinch hitting tool off the bench than Zag...
Im thinking that where they save some money...
FA will cost million(s) he'll get minimum pay..
They have Happ and Zobrist that will get all to most PT in OF off bench

Their ready to see what Zagunis can do at big league level...
He RH so he can spell both Schwarber and Heyward here and there...
He can also catch, so he'll be the emergency 3rd catcher ..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I’m pretty sure Zag is emergency depth in Iowa. There will be a lacking of AB’s to justify it with both Happ and Zo on the bench.

Pitching I doubt they roll with Monty. Even Maddon said he thinks he is a 10 win pitcher per year. They need more than that if they plan on competing.

Boras said it the best that the “superteams” will make their moves when they realize that the Astros are far ahead of them.

A big part of the problem is the fans are buying into this new method and it allows these owners to profit vs win games

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
C. Wilson Contreras
1B. Anthony Rizzo
2B. Javier Baez
SS. Addison Russell
3B. Kris Bryant
LF. Kyle Schwarber
CF. Alberto Almora
RF. Jason Heyward

C. Victor Caratini
IF. Tommy LaStella
UT. Ben Zobrist
UT. Ian Happ
OF. Mark Zagunis

SP. Jon Lester
SP. Jose Quintana
SP. Kyle Hendricks
SP. Tyler Chatwood
SP. Mike Montgomery

Rel. Justin Grimm
Rel. Steve Cishek
Rel. Pedro Strop
Rel. Brian Duensing
Rel. Carl Edwards
Rel. Justin Wilson

Clo. Brandon Morrow

Relievers... if he goes with 8
Dario Alvarez
Dillon Maples
Randy Rosario
Rob Zastryzny

Thoughts........

Better - About same - Worse
then 2017

I think Hannemann is the more likely OF among prospects than Zagunis. Zag can't play CF. And the problem with that is there's already like 30 people the cubs have in the corners where as you really only want Almora and maybe Happ/Heyward in CF. I'm sure Zag will see time in the majors this year but if you're going into opening day I doubt it's him. I also would say that its entirely plausible they sign someone cheaply. Austin Jackson is still out there and they acquired him in either 2015 or 16 i forget which. Jarrod Dyson is also out there though probably unlikely given he could probably start. Cain likewise seems unlikely. Carlos Gomez might also be a possibility depending on how active his market is. Cameron Maybin and Rajai Davis are also out there though I thought i read Davis was retiring.

C is also a position I am not sure they go with Caratini. The reason has less to do with Caratini than just the fact you need depth. You don't go into a season with 2 catchers on your 40 man. Alex Avila is still out there. A.J. Ellis isn't a terrible back up. Jonathan Lucroy wouldn't be either. And think you could argue for Jose Lobaton if you were so inclined.

As for pitching I'd be surprised if they go with monty in the rotation. Fairly sure they will sign one of the 3 remaining big starts in cobb/darvish/arrieta. Think they just are looking for the best possible deal. In terms of the pen, I'm not sure grimm actually makes the team. Assuming Monty is in the pen I'd be ok with a ST competition between him and several others. But ultimately I think that's a position they either get lucky with in a trade before ST or look to improve during the year.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Responding to Beck (and so I don't clutter the thread with a huge quote) -- in re the OF, you want a guy on the bench to, first, improve defense in late innings, and second, to be a good situational pinch hitter. I don't think Zagunis or Hanneman fit that description. And you're right, our guys in triple A need to stay there to get ABs, or else their skills will regress. I had actually been thinking of Austin Jackson or Cameron Maybin, myself -- guys who won't cost an arm and a leg, and can be had on a one-year deal.

As for a backup catcher, Lucroy's asking price is likely highest, while Avila may be the best value for the money. And he already knows most of the staff. But if you need to save money somewhere, going with Caratini is likely the safest option, of all the promote-from-within fixes they might consider. Also, for a third catcher, Schwarbs' knee seems really strong; he can grab the occasional inning behind the plate, as needed.

Totally agree with you about the pitchers. I think a lot of the pen dynamic will depend on whether or not Wilson can pull his head out of his ass and throw strikes consistently. Zas or Tseng may surprise, but I don't see either spending a lot of time with the big league club yet next year, barring injuries or a total meltdown by, say, Wilson.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Something else to consider -- Zo is on record saying he wants to be the starting second baseman next year, but most of us see Javy in that role. I've heard Zo has a no-trade clause, or at least veto power over a trade, that expires in 2019. He's a real accommodating kind of guy, but do you think he's going to be happy, or perform well, being Javy's backup and a platoon left fielder with Schwarbs? He's not a Montero, quietly sowing discord in the clubhouse because he's no longer a starter, but do you think is he maybe going to get shopped around prior to the NWTD this summer?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Responding to Beck (and so I don't clutter the thread with a huge quote) -- in re the OF, you want a guy on the bench to, first, improve defense in late innings, and second, to be a good situational pinch hitter. I don't think Zagunis or Hanneman fit that description. And you're right, our guys in triple A need to stay there to get ABs, or else their skills will regress. I had actually been thinking of Austin Jackson or Cameron Maybin, myself -- guys who won't cost an arm and a leg, and can be had on a one-year deal.

As for a backup catcher, Lucroy's asking price is likely highest, while Avila may be the best value for the money. And he already knows most of the staff. But if you need to save money somewhere, going with Caratini is likely the safest option, of all the promote-from-within fixes they might consider. Also, for a third catcher, Schwarbs' knee seems really strong; he can grab the occasional inning behind the plate, as needed.

Totally agree with you about the pitchers. I think a lot of the pen dynamic will depend on whether or not Wilson can pull his head out of his ass and throw strikes consistently. Zas or Tseng may surprise, but I don't see either spending a lot of time with the big league club yet next year, barring injuries or a total meltdown by, say, Wilson.

Re Hannemann.... he's a fantastic defender with speed. His defense is arguably second only to Wilson and Almora in CF and some would argue possibly better. If you want to argue he's not a great PH ok but are you really going to be calling on that person to PH often anyways? I mean you're probably playing with Zobrist and La Stella on the bench. Ultimately he's a 60 grade runner and a 60 grade fielder. His arm is average at 50 and he only hit .246/.312/.380 in the minors but as a 5th OF not to mention a LH bat he's useful.

Re: catcher, even if they go with Caratini they are going to sign another C for the 40 man. You can't go into a season with only 2 catchers on your 40 man because if contreras or caratini get hurt you have nothing. And people probably need to let the Schwarber catching idea go. I could see in super rare circumstances where it's possible for a few innings but you're not playing him as your #2 catcher if someone gets hurt.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Almora has the best natural instincts for a CF. You could make a arguement in baseball in general. It completely makes up for his short comings in talent. Hannemann lacks in OBA. He would be a high ended prospect if he was a OBA guy. Plus D and plus speed. Just lacks the plus bat. That makes him filler.

I don’t see him or Zag amounting to much as major league players and Japan may end up in their future address books.

With Happ being able to cover multi positions IF and OF it just makes his value that much more. Add to it he has plus power and the ability to take walks he is a player that is a starter on the bench.

On Zo. He can say what he wants but every time he gets regular playing time he ends up on the DL. After 2 years in a row of it the trust should be gone and he should be in a limited role while Javi and Almora Jr get the lion share. I get having Zo at 2B and Ian in CF vs Max S. Makes sense to add more lefties vs him. Or Zo in LF vs Kershaw. It gives you a better shot at beating him.

But the whole play me BS is not really going to happen.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Almora has the best natural instincts for a CF. You could make a arguement in baseball in general. It completely makes up for his short comings in talent. Hannemann lacks in OBA. He would be a high ended prospect if he was a OBA guy. Plus D and plus speed. Just lacks the plus bat. That makes him filler.

I don’t see him or Zag amounting to much as major league players and Japan may end up in their future address books.

Nothing wrong with being a decent bench player. Zagunis could probably start on teams that aren't competitive it's just not as appealing for mediocre power guy in a corner. But in my eyes, Hannemann is more or less your ideal 4th/5th of type. He hit .269/.322/.426 in the minors vs RHP as a lefty. League average last year among OF vs RHP was .261/.332/.443. If you narrow that to players who played some CF it's .260/.332/.426. So, he's more or less league average vs RHP. When you factor in good defense and speed for pinch running he's a pretty helpful platoon guy.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Something else to consider -- Zo is on record saying he wants to be the starting second baseman next year, but most of us see Javy in that role. I've heard Zo has a no-trade clause, or at least veto power over a trade, that expires in 2019. He's a real accommodating kind of guy, but do you think he's going to be happy, or perform well, being Javy's backup and a platoon left fielder with Schwarbs? He's not a Montero, quietly sowing discord in the clubhouse because he's no longer a starter, but do you think is he maybe going to get shopped around prior to the NWTD this summer?
Who cares if Zoberist is happy, he has no choice. He also has little trade value at his age and contract

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Nothing wrong with being a decent bench player. Zagunis could probably start on teams that aren't competitive it's just not as appealing for mediocre power guy in a corner. But in my eyes, Hannemann is more or less your ideal 4th/5th of type. He hit .269/.322/.426 in the minors vs RHP as a lefty. League average last year among OF vs RHP was .261/.332/.443. If you narrow that to players who played some CF it's .260/.332/.426. So, he's more or less league average vs RHP. When you factor in good defense and speed for pinch running he's a pretty helpful platoon guy.

Yeah -- but you already have the lefty side of your platoon in Schwarber. And it may not be a proven thing yet, but i really think Almora is ready to be an every day player, not just the righty half of a center field platoon. He slashed in the majors against righties better than Hannemann did in the minors, last year. And we all know people usually hit 20 points better against triple A pitching than big league.

I think you need someone better suited to platoon in left with Schwarbs more than you need a platoon partner for Almora in center, to be honest. And having a major league average slash line against triple A pitching just isn't a convincing argument for his promotion, to me.

I guess it comes down to, do you think either Zagunis or Hannemann belong on a playoff roster? If so, fine. Let him/them play at the major league level all season. If not, then let him/them get big-league ABs this September. Either way, the acceptable range of answers does *not* include "don't even try to compete in '18, just wait until we sign Harper next year before making another run at it"...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Yeah -- but you already have the lefty side of your platoon in Schwarber. And it may not be a proven thing yet, but i really think Almora is ready to be an every day player, not just the righty half of a center field platoon. He slashed in the majors against righties better than Hannemann did in the minors, last year. And we all know people usually hit 20 points better against triple A pitching than big league.

I think you need someone better suited to platoon in left with Schwarbs more than you need a platoon partner for Almora in center, to be honest. And having a major league average slash line against triple A pitching just isn't a convincing argument for his promotion, to me.

I guess it comes down to, do you think either Zagunis or Hannemann belong on a playoff roster? If so, fine. Let him/them play at the major league level all season. If not, then let him/them get big-league ABs this September. Either way, the acceptable range of answers does *not* include "don't even try to compete in '18, just wait until we sign Harper next year before making another run at it"...
With Zobrist and Happ they dont really need another guy to play much OF, plus they have Bryant and Contreras for emergencies...
they just need a bench guy that would be pretty much like the mop up bullpen guy..

Why i think theyll just go with Zagunis over spending money on a FA..

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Re: platoon and schwarber, A) I doubt they really do that but B) if you're going to sit him vs LHP then you're almost certainly playing Happ in LF and Baez at 2B. Baez kills HP and so does Almora. You don't need another bat as a hitter really. You need someone flexible enough to play all the outfield positions. If you want to argue that Heyward and Happ is enough to cover that and either pick up another infielder who can play SS or a 3rd C fine but if you're going with an OF it needs to be a glove and someone who can play CF.

Regardless, I'm not saying you platoon Hannemann in CF. I'm saying if you're looking for a hitter vs RHP he's decent enough with what else he gives you. Cubs as a team last year hit .252/.334/.440 vs RHP and .264/.349/.428 vs LHP. That included Avila who hit .236/.396/.417 in 91 PAs, Jon Jay who hit .289/.364/.384 in 332 PAs and Montero who hit .267/.354/.430 in 99 PAs who are all gone at the moment. In terms of OBP, were 3, 5, and 6 among cubs hitters with 50 PAs. You don't have to start Hannemann but they don't have a deep bench of players who are even really average. If you're assuming Bryant, Rizzo, Heyward and Contreras are locks to start vs RHP and probably Schwarber too given he is a LH bat, you're looking at your options off the bench being Happ(probably starting 2B unless you have to have Baez's defense and even then potentially CF), La Stella(probably your #1 PH vs RHP), Ben Zobrist(potentially starting but #2 PH vs RHP if not), Other than those 3(happ, la stella, and Zobrist) the cubs had nobody who had more than a .317(schwarber's) OBP vs RHP.

Long story short here, is that a dire weakness that's going to kill the team? No, but it's not like the cubs have a glut of good hitters vs RHP off the bench. Zagunis is a far better hitter but he's literally never going to play because you can only stick him in a corner. Almora isn't going to start 162 games. I presume Happ will see some time there and move between LF, 2B and CF but he's not an ideal defender in CF either. And while I suppose you could play Heyward some in CF as needed, what I think you actually want is an OF version of La Stella who really don't get a crap about getting a lot of PAs for. Effectively La Stella is only on the team as a LH pinch hitter. They don't need him to play the field. Hannemann would be more of a glove only player but as mentioned at least gives you something as a PH you don't currently have.

As for whether they will be on a playoff roster that's largely irrelevant to me. The cubs are going to add someone like Martin was at the deadline or Austin Jackson before him that a team who's out of it just sells off to save money.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
With Zobrist and Happ they dont really need another guy to play much OF, plus they have Bryant and Contreras for emergencies...
they just need a bench guy that would be pretty much like the mop up bullpen guy..

Why i think theyll just go with Zagunis over spending money on a FA..

Think you have the right idea just the wrong player. Hannemann is effectively the same idea. As mention, I think you're basically wasting Zagunis if you're not letting him hit. That's his one tool. He's not a strong runner and he's not a strong defender. Zagunis is an OBP machine. I think you bring him up when you need an actual guy to hit. Otherwise think you're better served to let him kill AAA pitching and maybe make a team interested enough to give you something mildly interesting via trade at the deadline a la Vogelbach or as a secondary piece in a bigger trade.

On the flip side, with Hannemann I don't think you really care about giving him playing time. He's more or less there to be a LH bat to stack against RHP(which accounts for roughly 75% of the PAs teams see) and to function as a defense replacement if and when you want to take Schwarber out late in games. And being able to play all 3 outfield slots basically gives you more flexibility with who Maddon goes to on his Sunday "clear the bench" type games. As things stand, I'm not sure you want Heyward playing those games. And Almora is likely going to sit those games too now that he's the "starter." So that would really leave Happ as your only potential choice there.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Think you have the right idea just the wrong player. Hannemann is effectively the same idea. As mention, I think you're basically wasting Zagunis if you're not letting him hit. That's his one tool. He's not a strong runner and he's not a strong defender. Zagunis is an OBP machine. I think you bring him up when you need an actual guy to hit. Otherwise think you're better served to let him kill AAA pitching and maybe make a team interested enough to give you something mildly interesting via trade at the deadline a la Vogelbach or as a secondary piece in a bigger trade.

On the flip side, with Hannemann I don't think you really care about giving him playing time. He's more or less there to be a LH bat to stack against RHP(which accounts for roughly 75% of the PAs teams see) and to function as a defense replacement if and when you want to take Schwarber out late in games. And being able to play all 3 outfield slots basically gives you more flexibility with who Maddon goes to on his Sunday "clear the bench" type games. As things stand, I'm not sure you want Heyward playing those games. And Almora is likely going to sit those games too now that he's the "starter." So that would really leave Happ as your only potential choice there.
Whoever it is...
i dont think theyll look to add that last bench guy via FA..

It looking like their done adding players for the 25 aside maybe, hopefully adding another SP..

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Just a quick OT comment, here. As a new guy here, I gotta say it's really enjoyable to discuss these things witb y'all. Living in Minnesota, I don't get to talk up the Cubs with the locals. And, for the most part, the posters here are pleasant and make good, intelligent points. I may not agree with every point y'all make, but you state your cases well and don't default to attacking one another.

So, yeah -- thanks for letting me in to your discussions. I'm enjoying it.