Mike Tice planning to retire from coaching, says players no longer want to be coached

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/05/report-mike-tice-planning-to-retire-from-coaching-says-players-no-longer-want-to-be-coached/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Offensive line coach Mike Tice’s coaching career may be at an end.

According to Dan Barreiro of KFAN, Tice said he thinks he is ready to move on from coaching and added his opinion that players no longer want to be coached.

Tice is coming off a three-year stint as offensive line coach of the Oakland Raiders under Jack Del Rio. While the Raiders had one of the better offensive lines in the NFL in 2016, the group was not nearly as successful last season in cultivating a rushing attack. Oakland posted the 25th-ranked rushing attack in the NFL last season after being sixth in 2016.

Tice spent parts of five seasons as head coach of the Minnesota Vikings from 2001-2005 after taking over on an interim basis for Dennis Green. Since his lone stint as a head coach, Tice has spent time with the Jacksonville Jaguars (2006-2009), Chicago Bears (2010-2012) and Atlanta Falcons (2014).

Tice was assistant head coach to Del Rio in Jacksonville, serves as offensive line coach and offensive coordinator with the Bears and coached the offensive line with the Atlanta Falcons in his only year with the team.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
There was an article posted a couple of years ago about Kyle Long and several other OL in the NFL who all got together to train, and self-coach, because most felt a lot of the crony coaching hires in the NFL resulted in coaches who knew less about technique than they did.

I read it with a grain of salt, because when a group of people with the same job get together, they are the best at it, and everyone else knows shit.

But still ... Mike Tice.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2...le-long-bobby-massie-with-candid-takes-on-pff

"Prisco asked the guys about PFFs grading system and if they have any idea what an individual's assignment is from play to play.

Massie said, "No. They don't know the play. They don't know what each lineman has to do." Long elaborated a bit more, "If you turn on the film, you can see it's a zone concept. But there may be a Bob concept in there. There may be a wham concept in there. There may be we're booking this guy. We're not going to block him. But on film, it might look like Bobby Massie didn't even touch the guy. When in reality, Bobby went and got the linebacker and put him on the safety. And Cris Collinsworth (a PFF part owner) doesn't know that."

When asked if he's had stubborn coaches who only want things done their way Long said, "Show me your All-Pro jersey, coach, and I will do what you do. LeCharles Bentley has one of those." After Warmack responded, Long elaborated some more, "At some point, you have to say I am doing what you tell me to do. But at the same time, you spend eight weeks here with LeCharles and eight weeks with elite guys like Weston, Chance and Bobby. You take things from each other. Why be here if you're not going to take what you learn here? Everybody has a tool belt. We load that sucker up here. That's what we take pride in doing."

Prisco wanted to know if they players would just change when they get to training camp and Massie came back with, "In practice you have to do what the coaches want to make them happy. Make them feel like they have the big d--- in the room. On game day, you have to do your own stuff. The coaches, they're not out there blocking. They're in a big, comfortable chair with the clicker. The O-line and D-line are the best athletes on the field. It's not the quarterback, the receivers or the corners. We're going against the biggest, strongest, fastest in the world."

So who's right? These players, or Tice? Or both?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Keep in mind the rumors of the Oakland locker room this year, when Carr refused to join the players in their protest. Rumor had it that the O Line refused to block for him during the Washington game, as reported per the Sacramento Bee. I'm sure Oakland's locker room was a disaster with idiots like Lynch in it

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Keep in mind the rumors of the Oakland locker room this year, when Carr refused to join the players in their protest. Rumor had it that the O Line refused to block for him during the Washington game, as reported per the Sacramento Bee. I'm sure Oakland's locker room was a disaster with idiots like Lynch in it

Oakland hasn't had decent leadership in a while