Free Agency news

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
You spend a draft pick at WR to help keep costs down and to groom a replacement. If you give Hurns 7-10 million then are you going to then let Meredith walk next year if he plays well and wants his 7-10 million too? Or are you going to try and have one of the most expensive WRs cores in the NFL?

This. You have to mix in draft picks as well. You can’t just buy all your players in FA.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Not really. AR is a much more physical WR who runs good routes but also can catch contested balls. Meredith is a better route runner imo and he is a bit more quick and elusive. Meredith isn’t a physical WR despite being 6’3”. Meredith is probably faster also.

I have to say that i disagree with this. Meredith is not a better route runner then A.Rob but is a good route runner and Meredith can go up and get it.

I see those two as being pretty damn similar.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I think the issue is people saying if the offer is too crazy then Pace will not match. If there is any scenario where Pace is not going to match the asking price for Cam then he should have just put the 2nd round tender on him and not risk it. If he plans to match no matter what then no biggie. The issue is fans don't know which thought process Pace falls under so we are just speculating.
Reread my post. Maybe Pace wanted him to get a multiyear offer so that he will be secured beyond this season. If it is a stupid offer, Cam is among a large handful of FA's of his caliber, let him go. If it's reasonable, the player likes that he got to test FA and is a happy returner vs an unhappy guy feeling as though he has to wait a yr until he becomes a URFA because the team restricted his movement with the 2nd rnd tender. If he gets no decent offer the Bears than have the ability to let him play on a cheap deal or make a deal he may have thought was too low before seeing his market.

Personally, I think Pace played this very well in regard to respecting the player and also allowing the team right of refusal, much like the Kyle Fuller deal

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I have to say that i disagree with this. Meredith is not a better route runner then A.Rob but is a good route runner and Meredith can go up and get it.

I see those two as being pretty damn similar.

Disagree. Meredith is not at all a jump ball WR.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think people need to stop acting like they know what kind of player Cam is yet. He's played one year for us and that's without teams having any game tape to watch with him. The 2nd year for receivers is where you find out what they really are IMO cause teams now do have tape to watch of that player to know what he likes to do and how he plays. I'm as big a Meredith fan as anyone cause he was a good UDFA find for R.Pace and played very well for us but there's no way to know how good or bad he will be when he's back to good health and that's if he is back to 100% health with that serious injury he went through. I know some like to play Mr Cleo on here but until we see him playing again it's hard to know what he'll be.

Reactions: Myk

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Meredith is not worth more then 5M period. IMHO his fair market value is 3.5M. I just don’t see him getting that many targets in this offense.

ARob will get 125-150 targets and Gabriel will be the 2nd most targeted. Then either Cohen, Burton, or Shaheen should get the 3rd most targets.

Which leaves Meredith, White, one of the three that is nit the 3rd most targeted to fight for targets.

Meredith is likely to be the 4th or 5th most targeted receiver. If he gets 50 targets that would be good. NO WAY is that production worth 5M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
If Meredith gets another offer that's too much, Bears should just try to pry Snead from the Saints for what they wanted to offer Cam. Replace an RFA with another RFA. :thinking:

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Disagree. Meredith is not at all a jump ball WR.

Never said he was a jump ball WR. I very clearly said he can go up and get it. If you watch his game tape from the 2016 season you'll see how he's really good at high pointing the ball which is actually a drill they use at the combine. I'm not saying he's A.Jefferies or J.Jones and goes up and takes it away from the defender but don't really think A.Rob is either even though i'm sure both could win some jump balls every now and again. Either way i still see them as somewhat similar receivers and still disagree with you saying Meredith is a better route runner then A.Rob is. Meredith runs good routes but A.Rob is better at route running.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Reread my post. Maybe Pace wanted him to get a multiyear offer so that he will be secured beyond this season. If it is a stupid offer, Cam is among a large handful of FA's of his caliber, let him go. If it's reasonable, the player likes that he got to test FA and is a happy returner vs an unhappy guy feeling as though he has to wait a yr until he becomes a URFA because the team restricted his movement with the 2nd rnd tender. If he gets no decent offer the Bears than have the ability to let him play on a cheap deal or make a deal he may have thought was too low before seeing his market.

Personally, I think Pace played this very well in regard to respecting the player and also allowing the team right of refusal, much like the Kyle Fuller deal

The issue here is if you have to go out and sign Hurns for 7-10 million because you let Meredith go because of a stupid offer then you should have just signed him to 2.9 million and saved like 4-7 million this year.

I don't have a problem with Pace putting the 1.9 million tender on him provided he has guessed the market correctly. If he hasn't and someone does provide a crazy offer and he is not prepared to match then he didn't play things well, he miscalculated.

We just have to see things play out before we know whether Pace guessed/gambled correctly or not because in the end that is what this boils down to. You either made the right gamble like he did with Fuller or you did not.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
If the Colts make him a offer at $9 mil per i'm not even thinking about matching. Love Cam and that we got him as a UDFA but he hasn't shown anything to say he's worth that kind of loot. Still some WR talent out there in free agency and wouldn't mind having a different type of WR opposite A.Rob then Cam who's pretty close to the same type player as A.Rob.

J.Mathews
A.Hurns
T.Pryor
M.Wallace
J.Maclin.

I wasn't big on M.Wallace at all before free agency started but he sure would be a nice fit opposite A.Rob with his speed and with T.Gabriel in the slot with the speed and quickness.

X--A.Rob
Z--M.Wallace
Slot-- T.Gabriel

K.White
J.Bellamy
K.Wright--could play slot when Gabriel plays some Z.

Before fa started I had no faith in getting top guys and had Wallace near the top of my list of tier 3 guys we should go for. I still think he is a good fit but this is only a scenario if we lose Meredith and don’t want to draft a wr this year

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Meredith is not worth more then 5M period. IMHO his fair market value is 3.5M. I just don’t see him getting that many targets in this offense.

ARob will get 125-150 targets and Gabriel will be the 2nd most targeted. Then either Cohen, Burton, or Shaheen should get the 3rd most targets.

Which leaves Meredith, White, one of the three that is nit the 3rd most targeted to fight for targets.

Meredith is likely to be the 4th or 5th most targeted receiver. If he gets 50 targets that would be good. NO WAY is that production worth 5M.

Why do you think Gabriel will get the 2nd most targets?

He basically does two things: screens and deep balls. Weights 170lbs. He's not the kind of player who's going to absorb 80+ targets.

I bet after Arob there will be about 4 or guys with something like 45-65 targets pending health.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

I think the Falcons are a good example of target distribution for a team with a#1 WR and good receiving backs.
11 Julio Jones* WR --- 148 -Robinson
12 Mohamed Sanu WR --- 96 -?
81 Austin Hooper TE --- 65 - Burton
18 Taylor Gabriel WR --- 51 - Gabriel
24 Devonta FreemanWR --- 47 -Cohen
26 Tevin Coleman fb/rb --- 39 -Shaheen
Probably a few more for Cohen and Shaheen and a few less for Robinson

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
5M? No problem. I think he more likely is just under that but I'd even pay a bit more if I had to. Had he stayed healthy last year, I think we'd be looking at significantly more. He looked like he was to turning a corner running routes and he has the rest.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I don't see that happening at all. Gabriel is a complementary receiver to stretch the field vertically for everyone else. Sounds like you're expecting that simply because of how much he was being paid. I don't see him getting more targets than Meredith or Robinson would.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Nelson is prime Kyle Long on Steroids.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Never said he was a jump ball WR. I very clearly said he can go up and get it. If you watch his game tape from the 2016 season you'll see how he's really good at high pointing the ball which is actually a drill they use at the combine. I'm not saying he's A.Jefferies or J.Jones and goes up and takes it away from the defender but don't really think A.Rob is either even though i'm sure both could win some jump balls every now and again. Either way i still see them as somewhat similar receivers and still disagree with you saying Meredith is a better route runner then A.Rob is. Meredith runs good routes but A.Rob is better at route running.

“Jump ball” skills and “go up and get it “ are the same thing...

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Adam Caplan

@caplannfl
5s5 seconds ago

Interesting visit yesterday for #Colts: #Bears RFA WR Cameron Meredith, who I'm told is doing well with ACL rehab.