Shane Ray Trade Possibility

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
https://scout.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Article/Heres-Why-Now-Is-The-Time-For-The-Denver-Broncos-To-Trade-OLB-Shane-Ray-114941818

Kevin White for Shane Ray?

Super+Bowl+Football(36)

This time of year, every player and their dogs are thrown into the rumor mill. Some of the trade speculation is warranted, as in the case of Aqib Talib, while others contain more elements of fantasy than any basis in reality.

One player whose name has rarely been mentioned as a bargaining chip in a possible trade is outside linebacker Shane Ray. Ray was Denver’s first round pick back in 2015.

Although he battled through a knee injury that caused him to miss multiple games, he came back strong late in his rookie year and played a key role in the Denver Broncos voracious pass-rush rotation that culminated in a World Championship in Super Bowl 50.

Ray was drafted to be the successor to DeMarcus Ware. Ware came back following the Super Bowl for one more injury-riddled year, which saw Ray play in his place often.

In 2016, Ray’s second season, the future looked bright. Although he missed double-digit totals, he notched eight sacks, a career high, three of which came on the road against the formidable Andrew Whitworth in Cincinnati.

Ray’s second season was a momentous step in the right direction, as he started eight games and managed to stay healthy through the full 16-game regular season. Alas, the Broncos missed the playoffs.

But heading into year three, all eyes were on Ray to really turn the corner — until a wrist injury suffered during training camp derailed a season of promise and cost him eight games. Because of the nature of his injury, Ray was unable to lift weights as he usually would, which caused him to lose significant weight.

I’ve been told that he dropped from his usual 245 pounds down to 225, which, as an edge defender, really hurt him, especially in the run game. Opposing teams would run straight at Ray when he was on the field, and there was naught he could do about it, contending with 300-plus pound tackles and guards at the point of attack.

Ray’s pass rushing efficacy suffered some too. He finished with only one sack on the season, a career low. Pro Football Focus graded him cumulatively at 50.7, which for perspective, is putrid.

While we know that Ray is a better overall player than where he finished ranking-wise, ending his third season as the 97th best edge defender, per PFF, is the opposite trajectory the Broncos were hoping to see from him.

With A Critical Offseason Imminent, Become A VIP Subscriber!
If you look at his pass rushing metrics, Ray earned a respectable 73.4 grade via PFF, but due to his 45.3 run defense mark, his cumulative grade suffered immensely. However, the silver lining to Ray’s disappointing 2017 campaign was that in 172 pass rushing snaps, he was able to generate some pressure on the QB — he just couldn’t get home.

Unfortunately, that’s been the book on Shane Ray since entering the league in 2015. He can put pressure on the QB, and he has a phenomenal motor, but he’s unable to win his one-on-one matchups consistently to get the sacks.

Now, the Broncos are faced with a big decision on Ray. The team has until May to exercise his fifth-year option. As a former first-rounder, the Broncos have the prerogative to extend his rookie contract from four years to five, but doing so would come at a cost.

Ray’s 2018 salary is $1.678 million, and factoring in his signing bonus and other roster bonuses, he’ll count for $2.9 million against Denver’s cap. If the Broncos exercise the fifth-year option, it is estimated to cost them between $9.1M to $9.3M for 2019.

In other words, the Broncos would have to pay Ray like one of the top pass rushers in the NFL, even though he hasn’t produced like one. If John Elway was unwilling to make Sylvester Williams one of the highest paid defensive tackles by picking up his fifth-year option, why would he do so with Shane Ray?

You might answer that by supposing that pass rushers are a more premium position, and in that sense, you’d be right. But unlike Bradley Roby, who’ll be playing on his fifth-year option in 2018, the production that would justify the cost for Ray simply hasn’t been there.

That doesn’t mean Ray is a bust and it doesn’t mean he can’t improve. He most certainly can. It simply means that from a dollars-and-cents perspective, the Broncos have more to lose than gain by optioning Ray before May.

Heading into a contract year, Ray’s biggest problem has been the injury bug. When he’s managed to stay healthy, he’s been an above average edge defender.

However, the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior and with that maxim in mind, the Broncos would be wise to add Shane Ray to the list of players heading for the trading block this spring.

Shaquil Barrett is set to be a restricted free agent, and I would expect Denver to tender him at the second round level. Tendering him would allow the Broncos to hold onto Barrett for one more year at least, which would likely benefit the team more in the short-term than pinning additional hopes on Shane Ray.

Ray’s age and relative experience and speed-rushing skill-set make him an attractive bargaining chip for NFL teams devoid of edge rushing talent. Knowing how unlikely it is that Denver will pick up his fifth-year option, GM John Elway would be wise to capitalize on the opportunity 2018 will bring to trade Ray away, because after 2018, Ray will be an unrestricted free agent.

Considering that Denver holds the fifth overall pick, and will be selecting early in each round, this NFL Draft class offers the team the opportunity to go younger and cheaper on the edge. Denver should keep Shaq Barrett and bring in some rookie talent for depth behind he and Von Miller.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I wish people would get a command of the salary cap and average salaries.

9.1 million is not what top pass rushers make, it is about 1/2 of what they make.

People randomly assigning a number to a position without looking at the comparable contracts is idiotic.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nah, no gambling on injury prone players. I did like him when he came out of school though.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
A 225 - 245 lb edge rusher ........... nahhhhh.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Why are people so willing to want to give up draft picks for old or injured players. The draft has easily been paces’s strong point with finding value late into the draft with guys like Jordan Howard, Eddie Jackson, Adrian Amos, and Tarik the freak. Why give up a 4th?? Nonsense.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
My favourite player coming out of the Kevin White draft. I wanted him so bad at #7 before the whole drugs thing.

Dude had 8 sacks 2 seasons ago in limited snaps behind Ware and Miller in Denver.

His first step and explosion off the line is great and would love to get him to Chicago.

Could be a real buy low option.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
My favourite player coming out of the Kevin White draft. I wanted him so bad at #7 before the whole drugs thing.

Dude had 8 sacks 2 seasons ago in limited snaps behind Ware and Miller in Denver.

His first step and explosion off the line is great and would love to get him to Chicago.

Could be a real buy low option.

I was pounding the table til my fist was bloody for Danny Shelton.

Either way, if we try and get Ray now it had best be buying really low. I'd rather not send a pick, instead a player nearing the end of his contract that we'd sooner cut than resign. Might I offer... Kevin White?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I just can't wait for all the threads/posts during next season hating on Pace for signing all these injury prone players that people on here say he should sign. It's all good in the off season when the fans want him to sign all these guys but as soon as one gets hurt it's all Pace's fault for somehow not knowing they were gonna get hurt again....SMDH.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I just can't wait for all the threads/posts during next season hating on Pace for signing all these injury prone players that people on here say he should sign. It's all good in the off season when the fans want him to sign all these guys but as soon as one gets hurt it's all Pace's fault for somehow not knowing they were gonna get hurt again....SMDH.

Depends on what you have to pay. Ray could be an absolute steal with his pedigree.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Injuries, can't beat one on one matchups, comes close but can't finish, sounds like John Thierry. I think we pick our own guy at #8.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Depends on what you have to pay. Ray could be an absolute steal with his pedigree.

I actually like Ray and wouldn't mind getting him. My post was more about the many players that i've seen on here that people want us to sign that have injury histories and then when i saw S.Ray and a post about his injury history i threw that post down, but i'm really not down with trading away draft picks right nbow when we're still building and we're already without our 3rd this year.

BPo001

Liked Posts:
I think John Elway is overrated as a GM. He lucked out landing Peyton. He's missed on a lot of his high draft picks.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
i doubt broncos trade him away, maybe during the season but for now they need him to ball out to drive his price up.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
Well there you go. If they manage a trade for Ray. Then Chubb goes to them at #5 if there is a QB run 1-3 and Barkey at 4.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
The only trade I want the Bears making is for Malik Jackson (DE) from the Jags.

The Jags should be able to survive one more season with him but they're right up against the cap (i.e. zero room). However they must think they're very close to a SB so they'll likely do their best to keep him for this year.

If not then I'd offer a 4th rounder, Jonathan Bullard or Dion Sims (they've just let their veteran TE Lewis go). May be unlikely but Pace seems to be holding back not only salary cap space but more importantly back loading some of the contracts to take advantage of an always increasing salary cap later on.

Perhaps he's waiting for 1 or 2 players to come down in their demands and also keeping enough for Meredith in case he gets shown an offer sheet and the re-signing of Goldman but he has given himself plenty of flexibility.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
Jags have apparently restructured Telvin Smith so they should be fine keeping Jackson for another season. Shame.