Kollmann's breakdown of..

msadows

Liked Posts:
I agree. First, all this "don't draft a G high is BS" if that players ranks higher on their draft board then others. If the Bears want a G there, and feel he's the best addition, then it doesn't matter what some think, draft Nelson at #3.

As I said before, Hiestand will know him better then anyone. Besides, Pace just drafted his QB of the future, what's wrong with protecting your QB? Also, Nagy and Helfrich are going to implement a heavy RPO offense, which can get your QB killed.

It's hard to run a RPO offense if the interior of your OL is getting blown up. Just look at Philly's OL. The real question is who will be there at #8 that is graded better then Nelson. It's ok to say draft an OLB or CB, but who? Who is actuallt better then Nelson grade wise that will be there at #8? Heck, Nelson might not even there.

Lastly, none of anyone's opinion here matters. Pacy/Nagy will be rebuilding the whole offense into what they want moving forward. To me, a great start would be having a great OL.

Yea, our opinion doesn't matter. Former GM's however have said drafting a guard in the top 10 is not good value.

Funny you mention philly, because they didnt draft either of their starting guards, and neither of them were first round picks. I think you can easily address guard in free agency and not have to spend the #8 pick on one.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
Does it play at all into your opinions if Hiestand says Nelson is capable of playing tackle as well? Or naw?

It would be weird that if he could play there why he didn't. I think he is purely a guard, not a tackle. For reference, Zach martin started 30+ games at LT for ND and was drafted as a guard. That seems to be what the NFL has been doing lately.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ummm 8th OVR for a G?

You need to go with something flashy and impactful... like a WR.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
*Insert misc. you don't draft a guard 8th overall comments*

If we trade to MIA for Landry and swap #8 for #11 I'd do it in a heartbeat. (Of course, depending on who is there.)

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If we trade to MIA for Landry and swap #8 for #11 I'd do it in a heartbeat. (Of course, depending on who is there.)

If you're willing to take Nelson at #11 there is no reason you can't take him at #8. People are going to be surprised when Nelson is off the board before we even pick. Although I understand what you're saying. TBH that trade almost makes more sense to double dip WR. Getting Landry and taking Calvin anyways at #11.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
If you're willing to take Nelson at #11 there is no reason you can't take him at #8. People are going to be surprised when Nelson is off the board before we even pick. Although I understand what you're saying. TBH that trade almost makes more sense to double dip WR. Getting Landry and taking Calvin anyways at #11.

Good for us if Nelson goes before pick #8...

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Miami is looking to trade Landry to swap picks moving up, I highly doubt it will be with the Bears. They could probably find someone higher to do that deal with.

But I would do it, of course. With the 8th pick if you asked me if I'd like

A) Landry and Davenport/Ward/Jackson
or
B) Nelson

It's a no brainer to me.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
If Miami is looking to trade Landry to swap picks moving up, I highly doubt it will be with the Bears. They could probably find someone higher to do that deal with.

But I would do it, of course. With the 8th pick if you asked me if I'd like

A) Landry and Davenport/Ward/Jackson
or
B) Nelson

It's a no brainer to me.

Yes that would be a no-brainer for me too even IF Hiestand said Nelson could switch to T in the NFL.

34 GOAT

Liked Posts:
With potential impact talent on the board at pass rusher, CB and WR, it would be criminal to use that premium pick on a guard, regardless of how good he is.

it is ok to take the best player available. Look at MJ. if Portland takes the the BPA jordan never becomes a bull. Keeping a young QB upright and opening holes for our running game should be a top priority. So yeah taking an exceptional guard at 8 would be good move.

msadows

Liked Posts:
it is ok to take the best player available. Look at MJ. if Portland takes the the BPA jordan never becomes a bull. Keeping a young QB upright and opening holes for our running game should be a top priority. So yeah taking an exceptional guard at 8 would be good move.

You can get a guard at #39 in Wynn and Hernandez and make the case that they are BPA at that position of the draft.

A better move would be getting a top player at a skill position. You wanna help your qb? Swap firsts with miami, get landry, draft calvin ridley at #11. Sign Fulton in FA, draft Tyrell Crosby in the 2nd round.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:

Count me in. I'd love Landry and Ridley. That would fix the WR corps in a hurry.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
You can get a guard at #39 in Wynn and Hernandez and make the case that they are BPA at that position of the draft.

A better move would be getting a top player at a skill position. You wanna help your qb? Swap firsts with miami, get landry, draft calvin ridley at #11. Sign Fulton in FA, draft Tyrell Crosby in the 2nd round.

Is this Miami trade real? Cuz this whole "anti G" thing is getting so dramatic ....

DaGrizzler

Liked Posts:
Nelson has the highest floor, with a great ceiling. As seen in the video, Nelson's strength and technique is pretty much a given that will translate to NFL.

Protecting Mitch is #! priority. Giving QBs and RBs the best chance to suceed is a very wise if not sexy choice.

Some will say we can get that in later rounds, but I beg to differ -- look at the tape -- his high floor is already built in!

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Who cares which position they draft at #8 as long he turns out to be an all pro! I’d take an all pro guard over a Floyd or White any day of the weak! The only position more important than other is QB! They can change a team in a heartbeat - see Aaron Rodgers for example- his teams have been arguably lacking in talent but he makes the difference and they could win a Super Bowl any given year due to his talent alone.

You could have the two best Wide outs in football and if you have mike Glennon at quarterback those wideouts value will drop really quick bc of glennon’s lack of talent!

I’m not saying the bears have talented receivers which I think they actually have a couple okay receivers but neither did the Eagles. That was innovative offensive coaching that won!

Let’s hope Nagy brings that sort of skill level to a town that has had boring shitty coaches since ditka!

AussieBear

OL is never a sexy pick.. buts it a pick i never really argue.. even when i disliked the dancing n jew bear or when i didnt really know much about da long......i like nelson 10x more than those first two bums.. looks 3-4 times better than longs small ass college sample size.... i belieb in building out from da trenches on boaf sides.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
For those of you who are on the Nelson train, do you realize how much O Line talent is available in FA?

What do you guys know about Chris Hubbard and Zach Fulton? I honestly think Hubbard would be a quality starter at RT or Gaurdand is better then Fulton. Fulton would be an average starter and a quality backup.

Since it doesn't look like there any WR or LB in FA that will be available to spend on, what do you think of allocating cap to Nate Solder? Since we know Leno cant play RT is there any way you could see Solder playing RT?

Justin Pugh and Andrew Norwell should be in play.

There are so many options to improve the O Line in FA that is less risk and doesn't cost any draft capital. In the draft we need to focus on WR, LB, and CB. There are a lot of good CB in the FA that I would like Aaron Colvin, Johnson, and Butler. Because there aren't many options for pass rusher in FA or the Draft we are going to need have very good CBs. Can you really rely on Fuller?

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
For those of you who are on the Nelson train, do you realize how much O Line talent is available in FA?

What do you guys know about Chris Hubbard and Zach Fulton? I honestly think Hubbard would be a quality starter at RT or Gaurdand is better then Fulton. Fulton would be an average starter and a quality backup.

Since it doesn't look like there any WR or LB in FA that will be available to spend on, what do you think of allocating cap to Nate Solder? Since we know Leno cant play RT is there any way you could see Solder playing RT?

Justin Pugh and Andrew Norwell should be in play.

There are so many options to improve the O Line in FA that is less risk and doesn't cost any draft capital. In the draft we need to focus on WR, LB, and CB. There are a lot of good CB in the FA that I would like Aaron Colvin, Johnson, and Butler. Because there aren't many options for pass rusher in FA or the Draft we are going to need have very good CBs. Can you really rely on Fuller?

I think we understand all the options just fine. Personally, I just don't like people that generalize by saying "don't draft a G high". I have trust in Pace and the new staff that whoever they choose at #8 will be just fine. However, I think if the Bears draft Nelson at #8, I will be just fine with that.

As I've said MANY times, having Hiestand gives the Bears an edge in evaluating Nelson (and McGlinchey). If they feel Nelson is a 'can't miss' project, he would be an excellent pick for the Bears. But to blindly say that no G should go that high is plain foolish.

It's really all speculation at this point as we having even started FA'cy yet. It's the same BS as people say "don't draft a RB high" every year, but every year there is one that people think should go high.

Then why draft Barkley if you can get a RB later? It's up to the damn team doing the drafting, and what they feel is the best fit at that moment.

Heck, we don't even know their mindset yet as far as rebuilding. The Bears are certainly cutting a lot of players which tells me that they want their type of players, and also getting younger.

The Bears now have enough holes that ANY position is up for grabs, which tells me that they will go after the BPA. Personally, I expect Pace to ad in FA'cy at the CB, WR, OLB, and OL, and keep people guessing which way they'll go in the draft as Pace has already proved that he likes to do.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Is this Miami trade real? Cuz this whole "anti G" thing is getting so dramatic ....

Dramatic?? DRAMATIC!!!!! WTFFFF!!!!!

Just kidding. Honestly, this has been one of the chillest discussions across differences I've seen here on CCS. Relax, brother. :)

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Pace could land Norwell in free agency I would be all in on a Phins first round pick swap getting Landry out of the trade then taking Calvin Ridley #11 overall to put a massive shot of adrenaline into the WR corps rebuild. Then you can go OLB/ILB or CB in the 2nd round.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If Pace could land Norwell in free agency I would be all in on a Phins first round pick swap getting Landry out of the trade then taking Calvin Ridley #11 overall to put a massive shot of adrenaline into the WR corps rebuild. Then you can go OLB/ILB or CB in the 2nd round.

Andrew Norwell's market value is 12 million per season & Jarvis Landry is 12-15 per season.

100 million for two players?