Tremaine Edmunds; 6-5 253lb, 4.54 speed.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I remember something Urlacher said about his rookie year, saying he did not know what the hell he was doing, just using his athletic ability to run to the ball. Edmunds would be doing the same thing, probably starting out in Vic's sub packages.

True. But will he turn out to be an Urlacher, or an Ernie Sims? Even the best coaches can't teach instincts. You either have them or you don't. And Pace needs to make sure he has them before even thinking of drafting him...

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
6' 5" and 253 and he's a tweener? He's at least an ILB.

This is what keeps taking me back to buddy ryan and the 85 bears with their 46 defense. He made the defense work around the players he had and it was the best ever. First year of fangio he refused to adjust his system to the talent we were stuck with on the roster, all 4-3 talent. Instead he had defensive ends learning how to cover receivers and by the time any of them learned the 3-4 their contracts were up anyway.

You get a freak athlete and you make your team hard to play against. Not like Shea McClellan by putting a middle linebacker as a defensive end and telling him to gain 40 pounds, but you make your team hard to play against.

Look at the great ends in this game who are all over the line, some go inside for pass rush downs, they go everywhere, so give a QB not only the job of figuring out what defense they are playing, its locating that special talent guy as well.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
True. But will he turn out to be an Urlacher, or an Ernie Sims? Even the best coaches can't teach instincts. You either have them or you don't. And Pace needs to make sure he has them before even thinking of drafting him...

What you call instincts, I call play recognition and discipline (that's not to say there aren't instincts, but I'm commenting on what he is lacking). He'll get better with experience. Until then, give him one job at a time, don't put him in a position where he has to make too many choices, and do what it takes to foster his growth.

As he watches more game tape and gets professional reps where he can't just rely on athleticism, he will grow. Or he will bust, that's not something I can predict. All I can say is that Pace swings for the home run in the first, and a guy like Edmunds doesn't come around very often. Sure, he's a project, but Trubisky was considered one too for his lack of experience. He's not my first choice, but I'd love for him to be here.

Dagman310

Liked Posts:
The most important trait of an ILB is his instincts, Edmunds has terrible instincts and I saw that before watching the video above. This kid is a HUGE gamble and is he really even needed in Fangio’s defense?

He isnt Patrick Willis or Navarro Bowman. He is a (positional) tweener that MIGHT develop into a superstar unlike any other in league but is more likely to be Barkevious Mingo.

This team and PACE cant afford that risky of a pick.

A Tweener? LOL

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
When you think about prototypical busts, usually there is a lacking physical trait as well (Mcclellin = strength). Even if Mcclellin became the smartest player in the NFL, he just wasn't strong enough to ever make it. Doomed from the start. That is a pure bust.

You don't see any lacking physical traits with Edmunds. He can tackle, shed blocks, rush the passer and play in coverage. That is a rare skill set of size, speed and agility.

LB isn't as cerebral a position as QB. I am sure he can learn. His dad played in the NFL as a pro bowler, don't forget.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
If Pace stays at #8.....we are going to get a really good pick whether it's Nelson or Edmunds. Even is Pace trades down a few to pick up a Round #2 or #3 pick he should find all sorts of quality on the Edge and WR.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I think it's concerning that a player that big and athletic wasn't asked to rush the passer. Can he just not do it? Every year in college there are numerous undersized players across the country that rush the passer. Why wasn't Edmunds asked to do the same? That's a red flag to me. Just because he's big and athletic doesn't mean he can be coached to rush the passer. Get a guy that at least already has a decent pass rushing foundation if you're gonna draft a pass rusher in the top 10.

Because he has sideline-to-sideline speed to run and shut down plays to either side outside the tackle box. Urlacher wasn't asked to rush the passer at a similar size. Anthony Barr did in college, but the Vikings don't have him in that role full-time. If a team drafts Edmunds in the top 10, it won't be to be a pass rusher. AT least not full-time off the edge.

I also think people underestimate the need for ILB. The Bears only have Trevathan and Kwiatkoski at ILB right now (along w/ Timu and Anderson who are proven backups at best). Just a couple years ago, the Bears were a disaster at ILB....hence they picked up Trevathan and Freeman.

But this defense needs star talent. Edmunds probably has the most realistic "star" potential defensively in this draft. If the Bears take him at 8. I think it would be to play him in the Anthony Barr role. Off ball LB in the base D. In nickel, you can either have him in coverage, blitz him, or line him up on the edge if you work on his pass rushing moves.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Brett Kollmann's breakdown of Edmunds is up.

https://youtu.be/4oTjfbxn3Ng

Everything he said was dead on. People think Edmunds may be an odd fit for the Fangio defense, but I think he's absolutely perfect. He wants to run and hit things. He's best at that. He struggles when you run at him, maybe use some misdirection, get a guard out on him. But I think you can put him on the strong side between Hicks and Goldman and that will help keep blockers off of him. Going to need 3 guys to block those 2 in the run game, leaving Edmunds free or against a pulling guard or lead back most times. I'd take Edmunds in most of those matchups. Plus, Trevathan is smart and good enough from the weak side to help out and stop the cutback. Then you have pretty good safeties to back him up. Plus obviously, he can learn from Trevathan and a great defensive coaching staff.

I think people hear "lacks instincts" and think that's something that can never come. But instincts are based on patterns of behavior. I think in football, you can learn instincts. Hopefully, Edmunds can learn offensive patterns and eventually get the experience so that he knows what teams are trying to do in certain formations. But early in his career, I think you can essentially "hide" Edmunds' weaknesses because the guys around him are pretty good. But long-term, I think he's a stud because he will be coached well, play alongside some good players, and use his amazing athletic ability.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
outside his one dominant year Collins has been just ok.

Still a high floor. I'm a huge Edmunds fan, but there's definitely a chance he's less than OK in the league.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Everything he said was dead on. People think Edmunds may be an odd fit for the Fangio defense, but I think he's absolutely perfect. He wants to run and hit things. He's best at that. He struggles when you run at him, maybe use some misdirection, get a guard out on him. But I think you can put him on the strong side between Hicks and Goldman and that will help keep blockers off of him. Going to need 3 guys to block those 2 in the run game, leaving Edmunds free or against a pulling guard or lead back most times. I'd take Edmunds in most of those matchups. Plus, Trevathan is smart and good enough from the weak side to help out and stop the cutback. Then you have pretty good safeties to back him up. Plus obviously, he can learn from Trevathan and a great defensive coaching staff.

I think people hear "lacks instincts" and think that's something that can never come. But instincts are based on patterns of behavior. I think in football, you can learn instincts. Hopefully, Edmunds can learn offensive patterns and eventually get the experience so that he knows what teams are trying to do in certain formations. But early in his career, I think you can essentially "hide" Edmunds' weaknesses because the guys around him are pretty good. But long-term, I think he's a stud because he will be coached well, play alongside some good players, and use his amazing athletic ability.

To me, Edmunds has the same exact weaknesses that Urlacher had coming out, false steps and not great shedding blocks. So I’m not too worried.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Oh goodness, remember Urlacher running around behind Washington and Trailor? I imagine that is what it could be like having Edmunds playing beyind Goldman and Hicks.

Ok maybe I'm getting too hyped.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Because he has sideline-to-sideline speed to run and shut down plays to either side outside the tackle box. Urlacher wasn't asked to rush the passer at a similar size. Anthony Barr did in college, but the Vikings don't have him in that role full-time. If a team drafts Edmunds in the top 10, it won't be to be a pass rusher. AT least not full-time off the edge.

I also think people underestimate the need for ILB. The Bears only have Trevathan and Kwiatkoski at ILB right now (along w/ Timu and Anderson who are proven backups at best). Just a couple years ago, the Bears were a disaster at ILB....hence they picked up Trevathan and Freeman.

But this defense needs star talent. Edmunds probably has the most realistic "star" potential defensively in this draft. If the Bears take him at 8. I think it would be to play him in the Anthony Barr role. Off ball LB in the base D. In nickel, you can either have him in coverage, blitz him, or line him up on the edge if you work on his pass rushing moves.

He definitely could be a huge star if his mental game keeps pace with his athleticism. I think Derwin James is going to be the biggest defensive star in this draft. Also, one of the lower rated edge guys is going to break through. I'm just not positive which guy it is!

northsiderbearcub

Liked Posts:
Mannnn I want edmunds but to become a pass rusher and we are set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
To me, Edmunds has the same exact weaknesses that Urlacher had coming out, false steps and not great shedding blocks. So I’m not too worried.

I remember Brian getting fried because of his struggles shedding blocks. No player is perfect but Edmunds really has the tools to develop.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Oh goodness, remember Urlacher running around behind Washington and Trailor? I imagine that is what it could be like having Edmunds playing beyind Goldman and Hicks.

Ok maybe I'm getting too hyped.

That would be nasty.