Tremaine Edmunds; 6-5 253lb, 4.54 speed.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Idk but the mad scientist side of me thinks swapping the 5 techniques on certain plays would be freaking genius with players like
lynch edmund trevathan floyd
Hicks goldman bullard/RRH so much versatility Floyd edmunds can both cover and potentially rush the passer with success you have a Base OLB lynch or a I would of hoped healthy mcphee. RRB i feel could play a role in drop pack on a crazy play call or just force himself in throwing lanes too Hicks is just a monster who will make plays period goldman the anchor who has pass rush ability. Trevathan has shown he can delay blitz well; so you have it of pieces that do so much for you on the front.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Everything he said was dead on. People think Edmunds may be an odd fit for the Fangio defense, but I think he's absolutely perfect. He wants to run and hit things. He's best at that. He struggles when you run at him, maybe use some misdirection, get a guard out on him. But I think you can put him on the strong side between Hicks and Goldman and that will help keep blockers off of him. Going to need 3 guys to block those 2 in the run game, leaving Edmunds free or against a pulling guard or lead back most times. I'd take Edmunds in most of those matchups. Plus, Trevathan is smart and good enough from the weak side to help out and stop the cutback. Then you have pretty good safeties to back him up. Plus obviously, he can learn from Trevathan and a great defensive coaching staff.

I think people hear "lacks instincts" and think that's something that can never come. But instincts are based on patterns of behavior. I think in football, you can learn instincts. Hopefully, Edmunds can learn offensive patterns and eventually get the experience so that he knows what teams are trying to do in certain formations. But early in his career, I think you can essentially "hide" Edmunds' weaknesses because the guys around him are pretty good. But long-term, I think he's a stud because he will be coached well, play alongside some good players, and use his amazing athletic ability.
Nobody had worse instincts than Jones and he's come around. Edmunds may never be intuitive but you can correct bad reads and false steps in time. The issue with taking him at 8 is that it will need to be more than that.

Tweener is dig way of saying he's viable for 3 spots. He is not a tweener. Tweeter would be a guy that's a tick too small for DE and a tick to slow for LB. That's not Edmunds. I've been saying that if we draft him, he's a olb but he may be another thing at another location. I personally feel that 8 is a little high for strictly potential but GMs will know more than we do now after his Pro day and private workouts.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
To me the word tweener has always been used as a dig to a player in terms of their physical makeup. Meaning they where a shade short or in excess of being the prototypical size/speed for a given position.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
By definition, instincts can't be developed. You can improve in your reading and reacting, but you either have instincts or you do not. Edmonds has not shown himself to have them. He may, but assuming he can develop them, or worse, assuming he can overcome them with elite athletic ability...that is a HUGE risk to take in the top 10.

napo55

Liked Posts:
So why not talk about probably the most important question with a young player like Edmunds. What kind of motivation, desire to excel does he have? Without it, he's not worth the 8th pick. With it, he could be a steal at 8 and the face of Bear defense for years.

Haven't heard much discussion about it...

Phibbulous

Thread Killer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Toronto Blue Jays
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Toronto Maple Leafs
  1. Michigan Wolverines
By definition, instincts can't be developed. You can improve in your reading and reacting, but you either have instincts or you do not. Edmonds has not shown himself to have them. He may, but assuming he can develop them, or worse, assuming he can overcome them with elite athletic ability...that is a HUGE risk to take in the top 10.

It's hard to say if Edmunds has instincts or not at this point. After watching some tape on him he is incredibly athletic and fast, but he has a bad habit of moving too much pre-snap and as a result finds himself out of position. He often creeps toward the line and then he's caught up in the trash pile. At the college level he can get away with it because he's althletic enough to make up for his bad habit, but he won't get away with it the NFL. I'm not convinced it's a lack of instincts as much as a bad habit that needs broken. If he learns to stay still a bit longer, read the play and then react he could be amazing.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:

Every pick is a risk. Taking a guard at #8? Huge risk. Dude better have a HoF career. Taking any of the CBs? Lots of risk there. Landry? Big time risks there.

There are no sure things. You take the guy that you feel has the traits both athletically and intangibly that has the highest ceiling to make the biggest impact to the team. Could Edmunds bust? Of course. Could he continue to develop (at only 19 y/o!) and because of his athletic gifts, be that rare type of game changing defensive talent that becomes the face of the defense? Yes.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
At 8 ya gotta take Edmunds.....just too much incredible upsurge for the BEARs as a possibility.
Gotta SWING for the FENCEs ... Sir PACE

BearDovvn

Liked Posts:
I agree with this. Roquan Smith is my guy. He’s the next Bobby Wagner.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

It's not the wild kingdom. Instincts takes on a more generalized meaning and they can develop though I certainly wouldn't assume it's a given as many here are. Here's the thing, I've stated more than once that he's a OLB for us. He'll have less responsibility there and at times just come off the edge. He'll have set duties on each snap here and that may help a lot. More like an either or type of decision and it's harder to get washed outside.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Every pick is a risk. Taking a guard at #8? Huge risk. Dude better have a HoF career. Taking any of the CBs? Lots of risk there. Landry? Big time risks there.

There are no sure things. You take the guy that you feel has the traits both athletically and intangibly that has the highest ceiling to make the biggest impact to the team. Could Edmunds bust? Of course. Could he continue to develop (at only 19 y/o!) and because of his athletic gifts, be that rare type of game changing defensive talent that becomes the face of the defense? Yes.

It's a draft and there are almost no sure things yet folks are claiming a guy that hasn't shown great instincts is. Seems silly. I like him, I'd probably take someone else at 8 but wouldn't hate on the pick. I have no way to know how well he takes coaching or interviews.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
Key question is does he have high enough football IQ to learn and develop all those mental aspects of the game much needed for ILB position (which he's currently lacking of), to become a top player and leader (playcaller) on defensive side, if he doesn't have the needed IQ, then all of his athleticism won't matter much and he'll suffer the same fate as Vernon Gholston, Manny Lawson and other athletic freak 1st round busts who didn't know to actually play the game.

In the end, it's up to Pace to detect his ability to learn, and decide which player to take, but in his place, at #8 I would go for the sure thing, can't miss prospect (like Nelson, D.James, Fitzpatrick, R.Smith), not high risk, boom or bust prospect (like Edmunds, Davenport or even Ward).

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Here's another thing about Edmunds. Find me one mock draft that has him going BEFORE #8. He may be worth the pick but there's a great chance something of higher value is there as well. I know it sounds like I don't want him but that's not the case because I want a BIG OLB in this draft. We just need to temper our enthusiasm for an athlete who isn't yet a great football player. I suspect it will come with a move outside but it's never a given.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Here's another thing about Edmunds. Find me one mock draft that has him going BEFORE #8. He may be worth the pick but there's a great chance something of higher value is there as well. I know it sounds like I don't want him but that's not the case because I want a BIG OLB in this draft. We just need to temper our enthusiasm for an athlete who isn't yet a great football player. I suspect it will come with a move outside but it's never a given.

http://www.chicagonow.com/daily-chicago-sports-tab/2018/02/post-parade-5-round-2018-nfl-mock-draft/

There's your mock. And I wouldn't suggest building any argument around mock drafts. How many mocks had the Bears going Trubisky at 3? Hell, they traded up and on live TV nobody on NFL network or ESPN even suggested that it would be for Trubisky.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Oh and stop with the "he isn't a great football player yet" stuff. What more does he have to do?

215 tackles, 10 sacks, 32.5 tackles for loss in the last 2 years for a team that's perenniallly in the top 15 defensively in the nation, including 5th in scoring D this past season and 13th in total defense.

If he put up those numbers and is "not great yet", that's even more reason to draft him. Because if he comes close to great, the Bears have a potential Hall of Fame LB.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
http://www.chicagonow.com/daily-chicago-sports-tab/2018/02/post-parade-5-round-2018-nfl-mock-draft/

There's your mock. And I wouldn't suggest building any argument around mock drafts. How many mocks had the Bears going Trubisky at 3? Hell, they traded up and on live TV nobody on NFL network or ESPN even suggested that it would be for Trubisky.

OK, one draft from someone I've never heard of has him at 7. How about this on a site that is more reputable and has him at 18. https://www.draftsite.com/nfl/mock-draft/2018/ I agree that's low but really no established site we ever use as a reference has him before 8.

Mitch was my personal pick at 3 and projected by reputable sites as top 5. It was just assumed that the Bear weren't going there because of the Glennon contract. There was even talk about the Browns taking him 1st. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...d-mock-includes-15-trades-seven-quarterbacks/
You have selective memory.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Oh and stop with the "he isn't a great football player yet" stuff. What more does he have to do?

215 tackles, 10 sacks, 32.5 tackles for loss in the last 2 years for a team that's perenniallly in the top 15 defensively in the nation, including 5th in scoring D this past season and 13th in total defense.

If he put up those numbers and is "not great yet", that's even more reason to draft him. Because if he comes close to great, the Bears have a potential Hall of Fame LB.

Jesus, take a chill pill. I'd even said I be good with the pick but be real and stop with the fanboy shit. Not once have I hated on the guy. It's called rational evaluation. There's both good and not so good involved with that. Just trying to temper the frenzy.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
OK, one draft from someone I've never heard of has him at 7. How about this on a site that is more reputable and has him at 18. https://www.draftsite.com/nfl/mock-draft/2018/ I agree that's low but really no established site we ever use as a reference has him before 8.

Well you should have specified, one mock from a site that you have heard of, especially one particular site that you find more reputable or an established site that people on this board use as a reference.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Jesus, take a chill pill. I even said I wouldn't mind the pick but be real and stop with the fanboy shit.

LOL. What's there to chill about? I'm not even remotely angry or defensive. Just telling it like it is. Oh and this "fanboy" commented in this thread that I would take Nelson.

Luke

Liked Posts:

I was watching NFLN and listening to the local feed of Hub, Thayer and Joniak. Mayock was stunned and didn't like it. The local guys were all flabbergasted and Hub said no way the Bears keep him, he's going to be traded.