Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I find it interesting that Minkah Fitzpatrick is constantly mentioned here as a sure fire top 10 pick but Derwin James is an afterthought. I think they have similar skill sets and would most likely be used all over the field by whatever team selects them. Each player has excellent tape. Athletically, James is bigger, stronger and certainly more explosive. He’s starting to get comps to Jalen Ramsey. He’s also been compared to Eric Berry by Mayock. None of this is a knock on Minkah as a player just an observation. I think either of these guys would be used as an aggressive weapon by Fangio. The other thing that’s great about these two is their ability to come up and blitz effectively off the edge when asked. Here is a section of an article I was reading this morning that I wanted to share.

“1. Derwin James Backs Up His Play
The Jets took defensive back Jamal Adams sixth overall last year despite his 31-inch vertical jump. In the past five years, top-10 picks like Justin Gilbert and Dee Milliner had pedestrian combine testing, too—neither jumped 40 inches in the air nor 11 feet on the ground. NFL teams have not made otherworldly athleticism a prerequisite for drafting a defensive player—but maybe they should.

A recent study showed that a defensive back who jumps 40 inches in the air has a 5 percent better chance of an NFL career than one who doesn’t. And in the crapshoot world of the NFL draft, that’s a bigger number than you think. Florida State’s Jalen Ramsey, last seen dominating at cornerback for Jacksonville’s league-best defense, also dominated at the combine. Two years ago, he jumped 41.5 inches in the air and 11 feet, 3 inches in the broad jump before the Jaguars selected him with the fifth pick.

Derwin James will naturally draw comparisons to Ramsey—he’s a Seminole and he’s viewed as having similar positional flexibility, though he will probably play safety or slot cornerback in the pros, while Ramsey has spent most of his time at outside cornerback. James is also, like Ramsey, one hell of an athlete. He posted an 11-foot broad jump and 40-inch vertical on Monday, which means that any team that wants to take him in the top 10, where he personally projects he’ll go, should feel great about doing so. James said he’s comfortable covering tight ends or playing deep in pass coverage, and he could conceivably line up anywhere on the field. In an era when offenses are getting more flexible every year, a player like James is as valuable as any non-quarterback.”

https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/5/17083284/2018-combine-derwin-james-minkah-fitzpatrick-bill-belichick

Their synopsis...

“Both James and Fitzpatrick will be first-round picks, and you can find room for both in any defense in the league given their versatility, but if you’re rebuilding your secondary with a top-10 pick, I’d take the more explosive player.”

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
[video=youtube;fi5_txRLqCY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi5_txRLqCY[/video]

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Fitzpatrick has shown the ability to play corner, deep safety and make plenty of plays on the ball. That's why he's almost a guaranteed top 5 pick.

Would you have drafted Jabrill Peppers with a top 10 pick? Because Derwin James is the exact same player. They're both box safeties with not a lot of ball production. You don't draft a strong safety with a top 10 pick.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Derwin James can play CB and so can Minkah Fitzpatrick both will probably be good DB's no matter what position they play.

“I wanted him to have that information so when we pull that book out, he knows how to play corner, he knows how to play safety, he knows how to play rush end -- so we’ll mix and match him where we think we can get matchups. But we had to do it now and add those things to it, or we wouldn’t be able to.”
http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/99002/derwin-james-showcases-his-versatility-again-this-spring-with-turn-at-cb

"He is going to be the dude in any locker room he ends up in. That's his makeup. Physically, he's probably more talented than Jamal Adams but Adams was more consistent as a player. Derwin is still learning so he has a sky-high projection if his play can catch up to the talent." -- NFC Scouting Director
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/derwin-james?id=2560066

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Derwin James can play CB and so can Minkah Fitzpatrick both will probably be good DB's no matter what position they play.

Nothing in that tells me he can play CB at all. The kid still is learning how to play at FS. Fitz has proven he can play every single DB position by doing it against quality competition in college.

James has physical traits....that's about it.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Nothing in that tells me he can play CB at all. The kid still is learning how to play at FS. Fitz has proven he can play every single DB position by doing it against quality competition in college.

Derwin James played CB when Tarvarus McFadden went out with an injury. James is ALOT more experienced at CB than Minkah Fitpartick right now.

“At safety, I’m the last line of defense. At corner, I know there’s a safety behind me so I can be way more aggressive,” said James, who'll be a redshirt sophomore come fall. “There are different steps and different techniques. I can’t look at the quarterback anymore. At corner, I have to look at the receiver.”

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Fitzpatrick has shown the ability to play corner, deep safety and make plenty of plays on the ball. That's why he's almost a guaranteed top 5 pick.

Would you have drafted Jabrill Peppers with a top 10 pick? Because Derwin James is the exact same player. They're both box safeties with not a lot of ball production. You don't draft a strong safety with a top 10 pick.

One guy is 6’3 the other is 5’10 so not the same at all

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
One guy is 6’3 the other is 5’10 so not the same at all

Is that all that separates them? Their height? I'm talking about their play. The positions they've played. Their on-field production.

Icemanx

Liked Posts:

Same thing I was thinking.

sphinxnole

Liked Posts:
I’ve watched every game of James’ career. He didn’t play as well this year as his Freshman year coming off the injury but he was still excellent.
Minkah has made more plays on the ball but most teams didn’t test Derwin since McFadden sucked balls this year and gave up plays everywhere.
Minkah is stiffer than James but probably more instinctive.. Can’t go wrong with either one but I believe Derwin’s ceiling is higher.
I don’t think either would make good full time outside CBs, they aren’t quite that fluid maybe cover 2 corners...

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Derwin James played CB when Tarvarus McFadden went out with an injury. James is ALOT more experienced at CB than Minkah Fitpartick right now.

Dez, man, it doesn't matter how many times you try to say the same thing .... knowing how to play CB is NOT the same thing as the Bears bringing in a great shutdown natural CB. You are either putting Amos on the bench or potentially not maximizing the CB position. Or ....

The Bears could draft a potential next great Bears LB in Edmunds, or one of the top two CB's and filling that position with a great natural CB. Or even Nelson, and getting a 10 year G.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

Peppers isn’t James in his wettest dream. James is not a box Safety. He plays all over the defense. He’s played CB,S and LB. He rushes off the edge at times. They were discussing at the combine that some teams view him as a big, press corner.

The Doctor

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears

I always thought it was "You don't draft a guard with a top ten pick."

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
Peppers isn’t James in his wettest dream. James is not a box Safety. He plays all over the defense. He’s played CB,S and LB. He rushes off the edge at times. They were discussing at the combine that some teams view him as a big, press corner.

Did you not pay attention last year? That is exactly how Peppers was used at Michigan.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Did you not pay attention last year? That is exactly how Peppers was used at Michigan.

Interesting, since you claimed since he and James were box safeties. My other point is Peppers will never have the ceiling James possesses.

In 2017, James had more PDs and Ints than Fitz.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Either one of these players would give Fangio so much flexibility. They could easily play, Fuller, CB2, Amos, Jackson with Minkah or James as a big nickel or a cover LB. I'm really intrigued by these guys. Think of the way Deone Bucannon is utilized in Arizona in their 3-4.

Minkah:

"A starter in his freshman season—something that rarely happens on a Nick Saban-coached team—Fitzpatrick started his career with the Crimson Tide by playing the "Star" position, a combination of inside corner, safety and linebacker. It's a position Jalen Ramsey played well at Florida State, and Ramsey has transitioned masterfully to outside corner in the NFL despite a relative lack of experience at the position in college. Fitzpatrick then moved to safety when injuries forced Saban's hand, and he picked off six passes there in 2016."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2762727-minkah-fitzpatrick-is-the-face-of-a-changing-nfl

Derwin:

“Safety and slot corner, those are the two positions most teams are talking about,” James said, via NFL.com. “… They moved me around a lot [in college]. I can do it all — I can play deep, I can play the tight end, I can play in the box, I can blitz, whatever you need.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/05/derwin-james-i-can-play-deep-cover-tight-ends-whatever-you-need/

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs