Former Bears tight end Chris Gedney dies at 47

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-chris-gedney-dies-20180309-story.html

516x290

Chris-Gedney.jpg

Former Bears tight end Chris Gedney, the team’s third-round draft pick in 1993, died Friday, Syracuse University announced. Gedney was 47.

An All-American at Syracuse, Gedney spent seven seasons in the NFL, the first four as a member of the Bears. Gedney worked for his alma mater doing color commentary for Syracuse football games and was a senior associate athletic director. No cause of death has been announced.

Gedney battled injuries during his Bears career. A broken collarbone plagued his rookie season and he battled a heel problem and a broken leg before being placed on injured reserve before the start of the 1996 season, his fourth year, with a stress fracture in his foot.

Gedney appeared in 28 games for the Bears with 12 starts and caught 28 passes for 307 yards and three touchdowns. He caught two touchdown passes from Erik Kramer in a 21-9 victory over the Buccaneers in the 1994 season opener. It was the first time a Bears tight end caught two touchdown passes in a game since 1975.

He went on to play three seasons with the Cardinals, appearing in 45 games for them.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rip

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
RIP. Shame when someone dies before their time.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
dies from WHAT...this freaks me out...47 year olds don't just DIE...wtf

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
as someone who's going to die yes it's my business how people die....doing my research to try to mitigate

Wasn't he battling cancer? And you can't mitigate death.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
From the Syracuse board...And yes things like this about public figures are our business.

Looks like it could have been pain killers. From twitter:

Today, my good friend and former Teammate at Syracuse, Chris Gedney, couldn't take the pain any longer. His daughter found his body. I'm in shock and don't know how to explain. The same doctor who did to me did to him. He should be in jail.

https://syracusefan.com/threads/rip-chris-gedney.128625/

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Wasn't he battling cancer? And you can't mitigate death.

can't mitigate death....bullhonky....go walk through a graveyard from the 1700s and look at the average lifespan...it's longer now...why is that....because many of the things people used to die earlier from have been mitigated. This is a defeatist attitude and quite frankly I'm disappointed in you.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Not our business but I too would love to know why. People are always curious when young people die. Hell, I'm 9 years older than Gedney. My wife's younger brother died unexpectedly yesterday at age 50 and we're having an autopsy so we know.

Rest in peace young man.

Liked Posts:
Not our business but I too would love to know why. People are always curious when young people die. Hell, I'm 9 years older than Gedney. My wife's younger brother died unexpectedly yesterday at age 50 and we're having an autopsy so we know.

Rest in peace young man.

Sorry to hear of your brother in laws passing, hope you're wife is ok.