Packers sign Kyle Fuller to offer sheet

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I'm sure the Bears front office, along with every team in the league, has a pretty good idea of what the cap will be in future years. This isn't the NBA...people actually like to watch the NFL!

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I'm sure the Bears front office, along with every team in the league, has a pretty good idea of what the cap will be in future years. This isn't the NBA...people actually like to watch the NFL!

Globally the NBA is much more popular. I'm not sure what their international revenue structure is like but I'm sure they are broadcasting games in China for free.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
It might be 20m in cash flow, but the cap hit for us is only 6.5m this coming season. So it opened up about 5m in extra cap room?

That's what caught my eye. It opens up another $7.4 Mil. Here's what spotrac has at the moment.

Contract Terms: 4 yr(s) / $56,000,000Signing Bonus $18,000,000Average Salary$14,000,000 GTD at Sign:$18,000,000 Total GTD:$18,000,000Free Agent:2022 / UFA
Bonus BreakdownCap DetailsCash Details
YearAgeBase SalarySigningRosterWorkoutCap HitDead CapYearly Cash
bears.png
26$1,000,000$4,500,000$500,000$500,000$6,500,000$18,000,000$20,000,000($20,000,000)
bears.png
27$8,000,000$4,500,000$500,000$500,000$13,500,000$13,500,000$9,000,000($29,000,000)
bears.png
28$12,000,000$4,500,000$500,000$500,000$17,500,000$9,000,000$13,000,000($42,000,000)
bears.png
29$13,000,000$4,500,000$500,000$500,000$18,500,000$4,500,000$14,000,000($56,000,000)
bears.png
30UFA
Contract Notes:
  • $27M practically guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2018 salary + 2019 salary)
  • Per Game Active Bonus: $31,250 ($500,000)
  • Workout Bonus: $500,000

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I cant believe Fuller would sign that backloaded of a contract. He is almost as dumb as the packers if he agreed to only $18M guaranteed the first two years.

The Bears basically extend it to 5yrs $60M contract after 2 years or cut him???

Pace must be still laughing right now

What are you talking aboot? Fuller is making $20 million this year alone. It’s only backloaded as far as salary cap, which is how Green Bay screwed Pace. Because the Bears can’t easily get out of the deal in year 3, it’s basically $42 million guaranteed!

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes the bears keep fuller, but the packers forced the bears hand and have to pay him 4 million more. In hindsight the bears probably should have used the Franchise tag that way they get two 1st round picks in return and kyle fuller is not worth that.

4 million more for what is a great contract. Good deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and he could walk next year. The idea here was to overcome a contract stalemate while retaining his services for an extended period. Mission accomplished.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes the bears keep fuller, but the packers forced the bears hand and have to pay him 4 million more. In hindsight the bears probably should have used the Franchise tag that way they get two 1st round picks in return and kyle fuller is not worth that.

What are you talking aboot? Fuller is making $20 million this year alone. It’s only backloaded as far as salary cap, which is how Green Bay screwed Pace. Because the Bears can’t easily get out of the deal in year 3, it’s basically $42 million guaranteed!

They could always use left over cap from earlier years to clear that space later. I doubt Fuller would mind a restructure to get bucks early as long as the total doesn't decrease. Does anyone believe that Fuller will be in the top 5 paid CBs in 3 years? I think the Pack tried to make this appear to be a greater financial burden than it really is.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:

That's what I see. The Bears, in year 3, will either pay Fuller $17.5 Mil to play, or cost a $9 Mil cap hit to cut him. Basically, it's screws the Bears cap wise for a few years. It will be bad if he gets injured. I think the Bears won't designate the Transition tag again without more thought.

It's pretty aggressive by the Pack's new GM, and it could spark the rivalry a little bit, which I like. Their GM has really come after the Bears a little bit. I'd look forward to screwing then sometime soon!

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They could always use left over cap from earlier years to clear that space later. I doubt Fuller would mind a restructure to get bucks early as long as the total doesn't decrease. Does anyone believe that Fuller will be in the top 5 paid CBs in 3 years? I think the Pack tried to make this appear to be a greater financial burden than it really is.

Agree, I'm not seeing how this is a bad deal for the Bears only if Fuller fleeced the team with a good performance in a contract year which I don't think he did. I see it as his health and development from a rookie as coming together last season.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You clearly don't understand how these things work. First, we were not going to sign Fuller for less than this deal without using the tag. No way he would have, or should have, signed it. Second, there are going to be several other CBs getting much bigger contracts (with MUCH more in guarantees) during the next 2 seasons to make Fuller's numbers much more reasonable.

And third, it is very, very unlikely Fuller will play out this contract. If he bombs, he is gone after 2 seasons. If he plays well, he will get a contract extension, thereby lowering that cap hit you are so fearful of.

And also....the cap is likely to keep going up each season as well, which will help...

You are fooling yourself. This deal was put together by a team desperate to win right now, putting off all the cap hits until later down the line. These are the types of contracts the Dolphins have been drowned in. Ryan Pace would have never structured a contract this way (I hope).

KCbear

Liked Posts:
you also need to worry about the cap hits. Unless you plan on him sucking and cutting him, it makes little sense to be giving him the big dollars when we should absolutely know the definite few holes left in this team and need to fill them thru free agency with the best available player to get us to the super bowl. If you are planning on him sucking and cutting him, then why even do this? He has a big year knowing he was in a contract year, now its no longer a contract year. Pretty sure this is the most cap space you are going to have for a while.

It’s not about planning on him sucking, it’s about having an out if he does. And also I said it was ALL about the cap hits so obviously I am “worrying” about the cap. If he’s an all pro/pro bowl cb then year 3/4 he’s probably paid like one. These salaries inflate like crazy every FA period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dawags

Liked Posts:
Injury is the only fear in this contract and Pace couldn't have gotten Fuller to sign a long term contract without a lot more guaranteed money.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
As a NBA fan who just watched this happen in that sport, anytime someone tells me "well the cap will be X in future years" is basing this on hope and that's a way to really screw the cap.

And if you restructure Fuller's deal, it obviously would stretch out past the four years of this deal and bridge in to Trubisky's deal.

Again, the Bears didn't have to worry about ANY of this if they didn't want to. This is all future risk and liability when the team has the cap space now to pay Fuller and didn't have to worry about this.

The NBA is not the NFL....the rise in cap has been very predictable.

There are other people they want to pay as well that can be taken care of this year......you are making a mountain out of a mole hill

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Injury is the only fear in this contract and Pace couldn't have gotten Fuller to sign a long term contract without a lot more guaranteed money.

Yeah, an injury would magnify this deal big time. At least he's only counting $6.5 Mil this coming year, but the next two years would hurt. If we can get 3 good years from him, the Bears can cut him and it only costs $4.5 Mil to cut him.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
You are fooling yourself. This deal was put together by a team desperate to win right now, putting off all the cap hits until later down the line. These are the types of contracts the Dolphins have been drowned in. Ryan Pace would have never structured a contract this way (I hope).

It is only one contract. Not the typical contract deal. They can absorb one of these no problem.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
It is only one contract. Not the typical contract deal. They can absorb one of these no problem.

Yeah I agree, and that's probably what the Bears are thinking. I could see Pace say "we're not letting the Pack get him."