What's Left for Bears to do in Free Agency 2018?

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
As of 3/18 what is there left for the Bears to do in this Free Agency?

Current Cap Space 3/18 :
$47,984,690 (overthecap.com) $50,216 (spotrac.com)

What to sign?

* Long Snapper

* DE? (current 5: Hicks, Goldman, Bullard, Robertson-Harris, Coward)

Who to cut yet?

* Freeman?

Depth Chart

QB: Trubisky, Daniel, Bray
RB: Howard, Cohen, Mizzell
WR: Robinson, Meredith, Gabriel, White, Bellamy,
Gentry
TE: Burton, Shaheen, Sims, Brown,
Braunecker, Colin Thompson
FB: Burton
LT: Leno
LG:
Kush/Morgan, Pericak
C: Whitehair, Grasu
RG: Long, Cameron Lee
RT: Massie, Sowell

RE: Bullard, RRH
NT: Goldman, Coward
LE: Hicks
OLB: Floyd, Acho, Howard Jones
ILB: Trevathan, Anderson
ILB: Kwiatkoski, Freeman
OLB: Lynch, Irving
CB: Fuller, Amukamara, Callahan, Leblanc, Mincy, Grant
FS: Jackson, Hall, Houston-Carson
SS: Amos, Bush

K: Parkey
P:O'Donnell
LS:

Last edited:

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wasn't Freeman cut already?

A: not much else needed in FA, rather, no strong enough FA's available to fill remaining needs or at sustainable long-term pricing & youth.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Cap room is nowhere close to that high. More like 25-27 mil.

No, Freeman has not been cut.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'd like to see Cameron Meredith, Bryce Callahan, and Eddie Goldman get long term contracts and maybe bring Houston back. If we have extra money maybe sign OG Mewhort.

Adrian Amos is going into a contract year.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Starting or close: OLB, ILB, OG

Back up: RB, CB, S, DT

Freeman's not on the team, unless the reports from 2 weeks ago are wrong. Also Taylor Gabriel. And Eric Kush.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Freeman's not on the team, unless the reports from 2 weeks ago are wrong. Also Taylor Gabriel. And Eric Kush.

Bears website, the NFL, and salary cap sites still have him on the roster while all the other cut players aren't. So....:shrug:

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Our OLB depth is brutal.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Bears website, the NFL, and salary cap sites still have him on the roster while all the other cut players aren't. So....:shrug:

Yeah, there were reports but it looks like they're wrong. Spotrac has him cut, and that's what I usually look at, so my bad.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah, there were reports but it looks like they're wrong. Spotrac has him cut, and that's what I usually look at, so my bad.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Cap room is nowhere close to that high. More like 25-27 mil.

No, Freeman has not been cut.

Over the cap hasn't updated to include contracts for Amukamara, Lynch, Bray, Acho or Gabriel. If you assume their cap hits are 9M (3/27) for Amukamara, 6Mil for Lynch (1 year deal), 1 Mil for Bray (1 year deal), 6.5 for Gabriel (4/26), and 3Mil for Acho (2/6, I believe was reported)

So, pretty close to 19 Mil available. I'd imagine Amukamara and Gabriel's cap hits may be a little lower. So you could be looking at 22Mil or so, and right in your range when Freeman gets officially cut......he is still on the roster as of now.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
QB - good
RB - maybe one more depth guy (if they don't think Mizzell is the guy)
FB - good
TE - get rid of Sims
WR - need one more depth guy (who can play slot)
O-Line - need starter caliber LG/C type

D-Line - need one more depth 5-tech DE, maybe depth NT (if Coward is not the guy)
OLB - need starter caliber pass rusher
ILB - need starter or rotational caliber player (depending of what they think of Kwiatkowski and this Freeman conundrum)
CB - need 1-2 depth guys with some upside
S - maybe another depth guy with upside (if they think Hall/Bush are busts)

S/P/LS - need a long snapper

There are 3 key issues (OLB, O-Line and maybe ILB) with #8, #39 and some FA money to fix it.
Other minor depth issues can be solved via. dumpster diving and late round picks.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Over the cap hasn't updated to include contracts for Amukamara, Lynch, Bray, Acho or Gabriel. If you assume their cap hits are 9M (3/27) for Amukamara, 6Mil for Lynch (1 year deal), 1 Mil for Bray (1 year deal), 6.5 for Gabriel (4/26), and 3Mil for Acho (2/6, I believe was reported)

So, pretty close to 19 Mil available. I'd imagine Amukamara and Gabriel's cap hits may be a little lower. So you could be looking at 22Mil or so, and right in your range when Freeman gets officially cut......he is still on the roster as of now.

OTC usually doesn't update until official contract details are released (they just added Robinison a day or two ago), so it could be a while til their numbers are on.

Yeah, but if you take into account that every signing from here on out will push the lowest contract remaining off the books (480k for the next 5, then 555k for the following 10, et cetera) they functionally have somewhere in the mid 20s.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
QB - good
RB - maybe one more depth guy (if they don't think Mizzell is the guy)
FB - good
TE - get rid of Sims
WR - need one more depth guy (who can play slot)
O-Line - need starter caliber LG/C type

D-Line - need one more depth 5-tech DE, maybe depth NT (if Coward is not the guy)
OLB - need starter caliber pass rusher
ILB - need starter or rotational caliber player (depending of what they think of Kwiatkowski and this Freeman conundrum)
CB - need 1-2 depth guys with some upside
S - maybe another depth guy with upside (if they think Hall/Bush are busts)

S/P/LS - need a long snapper

There are 3 key issues (OLB, O-Line and maybe ILB) with #8, #39 and some FA money to fix it.
Other minor depth issues can be solved via. dumpster diving and late round picks.

Sims is staying on the roster. They already paid him several million by not cutting him last week and by statements made by the Bears.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Who to cut yet?

* Freeman?

Isn’t Freeman a Free Agent?? So essentially he is not on the roster to cut.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I'd like to see Cameron Meredith, Bryce Callahan, and Eddie Goldman get long term contracts and maybe bring Houston back. If we have extra money maybe sign OG Mewhort.

Adrian Amos is going into a contract year.

Starting or close: OLB, ILB, OG

Back up: RB, CB, S, DT

We have to leave room for our 7 draft picks... especially Rds 1-4. Space for Starters, and space on the 53-man roster.

Starting G???
Like if we were to sign an expensive starting G in FA yet, what if we draft Nelson or McGlinchey? We'd have to bench that FA guy... cause if all healthy we'd run Leno, Nelson, Whitehair, Long, Massie. And we have Kush and Morgan, so I don't think it would be wise, unless maybe replacing Kush.

For DL or OLB... I could see maybe another FA for both, because there's rotation going on, but I could also see Pace planning on getting at least one of each in draft as rotational-starters.

OLB1: Floyd, Acho, Irving
OLB2: Draft, Lynch,

DE1: Bullard/Draft
NT: Goldman, Draft
DE2: Hicks, Robertson-Harris

CB - assuming we keep all the guys we tendered, we don't need anymore CB (Fuller, Amukamara, Callahan, Leblanc, Mincy, Grant, [Hall]) and a draft

S - No, don't need anymore Safeties, we have a corral of dudes under draft contracts (Jackson, Amos, Hall, Bush, Houston-Carson) and then maybe a late draft, but I doubt it.

ILB - If we cut Freeman, I could maybe see a cheap FA, but we have Anderson and maybe a draft

RB - Again, it would be nice to have a large RB to backup Howard, but we could draft a RB (Howard, Cohen, Draft, Mizzell). I don't know what Nagy has in mind, but Cunningham was a decent backup 3rd down back.

Last edited: