HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Last I heard on NFL network they were trying to get rid of the ground being a factor at all in catches. That is a good thing if they do that.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Last I heard on NFL network they were trying to get rid of the ground being a factor at all in catches. That is a good thing if they do that.

Yup, but I don't get 3-3

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah, what the fuck does that mean?? I thought they were trying to get rid of vague interpretations lol

I am thinking they are trying to cover cases where you're wrapped up by a tackler and can't really move?

I would rephrase more like if you have 1 and 2 and 3.1 or 3.2 or 4.1 You are being held immobile by other players on the field

So if you control the ball, have 2 feet down, and are stationary because a tackler has hold of you, you have caught the ball.

I am thinking of a scenario where you catch it while getting hit/wrapped up, and then someone comes in and strips it shortly after.... need to define at what point in that sequence you have "caught" the ball.

I can't honestly say if my version is better lol

Mitchapalooza

when did this catch shit get so confusing? was it after the Megatron obvious TD being called back?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
when did this catch shit get so confusing? was it after the Megatron obvious TD being called back?

I feel like that was the start of it in my own memory...

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This one will remain a classic from the scab ref dilemma.

intd.jpg

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Noticed that Allen Robinson thanked your post. Biased much? LOL

Visionman

Liked Posts:
The rule currently is not bad at all. It is just poorly interpreted by some refs on the field.

This new proposed rule will not change that.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The rule currently is not bad at all. It is just poorly interpreted by some refs on the field.

Or if refs have some skin in the games they referee.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Simplier is better, so hopefully they figure this out.

Another rule that I think needs to be changed is fumbling the ball through the end zone. The punishment does not fit the behavior. move it back to either the 1 yard line or where the runner last possessed the ball which ever is further, not a touchback!

And they are talking about Pass interference being a 15 yard penalty. - Give the defense some power back!

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:

I don't agree, the current rule is too complicated, and they never defined a football move in the current rule.

SpeedRacer

Liked Posts:
3-3 is bogus. You want it simple? Than this:

1. Control.
2. Two Feet Down or Body Part.
3. Ground Can't Cause a Fumble.

Just like a running back, if receiver completes 1 and 2 above, then if it comes loose at the ground, the ball is dead there. Still a catch. If he completes 1 and 2 and a defender knocks it loose, its a fumble. Simple.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

so if the guy reaches for the ball and is falling but hits the ground and the ball goes squirting away it is a catch....not sure what this means

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
"or the ability to perform such an act"

I can see the above phrase being easily misinterpreted by each and every ref.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Better rules don't matter without better refs. What is needed is consistency in how the games are called.

SpeedRacer

Liked Posts:
so if the guy reaches for the ball and is falling but hits the ground and the ball goes squirting away it is a catch....not sure what this means

If a receiver lays out and ball hits ground first and pops it loses, 1 and 2 were not completed, incomplete. If he lays out and has control, then he lands on his side and rolls over and THEN the ground causes fumble, then it is completed pass and the ball is down there (if we go with my rule number 3 in the post above).