Draft Thread - June 21st 2018

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Seems Memphis wants to use the #4 to move Parsons remaining 50 million.

Bulls should jump on that immediately. They got a ton of cap space and everyone knows no big time free agent is gonna sign in Chicago. Better way to use the cap space is to buy a pick and take on a bad contract.

4 and Parsons to the Bulls for 22, Lopez (expiring), Asik (3 million buyout after this season), and a top 10 projected 1st rounder in 2019 that then goes to top 5 projected in 2020 if it isn't acquired, etc. Parsons' cap hit is about the same as Lopez and Asik combined which is important based on NBA trade rules. Parsons' contract expires the season after next.

Bulls then have 4 and 7 in a very deep draft.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls

Bulls should jump on that immediately. They got a ton of cap space and everyone knows no big time free agent is gonna sign in Chicago. Better way to use the cap space is to buy a pick and take on a bad contract.

4 and Parsons to the Bulls for 22, Lopez (expiring), Asik (3 million buyout after this season), and a top 10 projected 1st rounder in 2019 that then goes to top 5 projected in 2020 if it isn't acquired, etc. Parsons' cap hit is about the same as Lopez and Asik combined which is important based on NBA trade rules. Parsons' contract expires the season after next.

I wouldn't hate it, but I doubt it would go down that way.

These hyped drafts put people in a frenzy. This is the 3rd or 4th super deep, once in a generation draft we have seen in a row. At the end of the day, whether the draft lives up to hype or not, it doesn't matter. What matters is what the Bulls manage to do with the picks. It's the 94 draft all over again. Lots of hype, a few HoF players, but not many championships(heck, the few are piggybacks, not as the franchise star). Today everyone who buys the hype will be like, but this class will live up to it, but in 20 years it will be more like.. "the 2038 draft is going to be the deepest draft of all-time".

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I'm assuming Memphis will demand the #7 in return, but it'd be nice to have 2 top 10 picks in this draft for sure

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
I don't care about taking on Parsons. I just meant that if we're giving up the 7th pick as well as taking on Parsons terrible contract to move up to 4th, they shouldn't have to give something else up. It would be stupid to give up the 22nd or Portis/Valentine when they'd be taking on that contract.

Well, the market will dictate what the cost is going to be. And I believe the 22nd pick has more trade value than Portis or Valentine.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
There is no way Memphis should get the #7 in this proposed trade. They can have 22 and a future 1st rounder (with some protection). You gotta pay to get rid of 50 million in dead weight. The best case scenario for Memphis is getting out of Parsons last year of the contract since they will have to take back some cap in order for the trade to work. The Bulls just happen to have two guys on expiring contracts (Lopez and Asik).

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
It sounds nice, but no way in hell Memphis moves back without demanding our 7th pick even if we are taking on Parsons.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
just seems like this is a draft that will have alot of guys mentioned in getting passed over. I dont see any difference is taking a slow year with Porter Jr that teams used to take by "stashing" a player in europe.

I think both Porter Jr and Trae Young will be two players that will have a chip on their shoulder for not being taken earlier.

I guess Sam Smith is saying Trae Young might go 6, so maybe him not so much, but I really doubt he goes 6.

Bulls should have their choice of Young or Porter Jr and will probably pick Carter.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
just seems like this is a draft that will have alot of guys mentioned in getting passed over. I dont see any difference is taking a slow year with Porter Jr that teams used to take by "stashing" a player in europe.

I think both Porter Jr and Trae Young will be two players that will have a chip on their shoulder for not being taken earlier.

I guess Sam Smith is saying Trae Young might go 6, so maybe him not so much, but I really doubt he goes 6.

Bulls should have their choice of Young or Porter Jr and will probably pick Carter.

Orlando could use a PG so I could see Young going there. I've also read that Atlanta is really interested in Young, but would prefer to trade back instead of drafting him at 3. So I could see Atlanta moving back to 5 or 6 and drafting Young there.

I think MPJ's back will scare off teams in the top 5. Honestly, it may scare off the Bulls after dealing with Rose's injuries later on. I could see us passing on MPJ for Carter Jr.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Memphis isn't trading out for 4 to 22
They will stay in the top 10 or near it.

For
4 and Parsons

Works on both ends provided bulls guy is avail at 4

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
50 million dollars to move up 3 spots. No thank you. I'm more content developing Valentine and having the cap flexibility.

czman

Liked Posts:

No offense, but that trade makes less than zero sense.

First the Bulls don't need to match salaries. That are at ~60 million in salaries and have one cap hold ~1 mill. If they make a trade that 1 million cap hold goes away. They have They have ~48.5 million in cap holds.

10.5 Vongleh.
1.7 nwaba
8.5 for the mid level player extension.
3.3 for the bi-annual
12.5 for the Mirotic trade
1.5 for the Nelson trade.
9.5 for Lavine

You need to use about 33 million to get Parsons in under the cap. So Vongleh's bird rights, the Mirotic trade exception, the Md/Bi exception and you are there. They can't use anyo of those unless they go over the cap and the Bulls are not in a realistic position to go over the cap without giving some of them up.

Plus there is no way they are dropping from 4 to the 20s.

I would honestly not even do the Parsons plus the 4 for the 7. The Bulls should try to get 2 future second round picks thrown in. I just don't think there is that much a difference between 4 and 7 and I don't think the teams picking in those spots are that likely to take diamond that falls--this includes the Bulls. They may be better taking what is left. The draft machine builds up way to much hype and a vast majority of these guys are not going to be above average players let alone guys you can build around.

The only reason the Grizzlies make this move is to get under the cap. They are not going to take equal money back and move that far down.

So to recap. The Bulls don't need to match money. The Grizzlies are not going to take a trade where money is matched and they drop into the 20s.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
50 million dollars to move up 3 spots. No thank you. I'm more content developing Valentine and having the cap flexibility.

I really dont see much with Valentine. Dont know how long the experiment will go on but he is just another tweener on this team.

I really hate that free agency starts after the draft, so you really do not know your needs.

I mean, if Cleveland already lost James, I think they would go Porter Jr to try to get a Durant type to build around. Now they take him and they are seen as pushing James away. At least as bulls fans, we dont have to worry about missing out on free agents since nobody wants to sign here, but it would be nice to know if Lavine is staying around. Its going to hurt when dollars end up matching Butlers deal with him and Dunn, while they still push the fact is that is why we got Laurie. Dammit we should have kept 16 last year.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Woj may have tweeted out the first six picks. Interestingly, he did not list the team that was picking #4. He did list every other team.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Woj may have tweeted out the first six picks. Interestingly, he did not list the team that was picking #4. He did list every other team.

His first 6, if correct, would leave Carter and MPJ there for the Bulls. KC thinks it's going to be Carter.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Fuck it trade up to 3 and take Luka.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Wow. Trae Young for Doncic. Grizzlies taking Jackson at 4.

Only one team separates Bulls and Bamba.