Draft Thread - June 21st 2018

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Someone made the point as to which direction should the Bulls go. Look at the 4 remaining teams in the playoffs. Not one has a bonafide center. Everyone on the floor at a given time can shoot the 3. The true centers on these rosters are stapled to the bench. I think that should tell everyone that the game has evolved. Unless there is a Shaq-like prospect in the draft, the era of centers is kinda of dead, IMO.

I agree with the premise that it’s incredibly difficult to win with your C being your franchise player. The true game changing franchise players all have the ability to take over the game and also create for others. Other than perhaps AD, there’s no other big man that’s going to be your go to scorer.

For as great as KAT and Cousins are, are you going to build around them over Steph, KD, Harden, Paul, Kyrie or even Butler? I’d take all those guys over those big men and their gaudy numbers. Numbers don’t tell the full story in terms of impact. Teams today need versatile wings who play both ends and can create. And honestly, you need about 3-4 of those wings. Especially in the playoffs.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Someone made the point as to which direction should the Bulls go. Look at the 4 remaining teams in the playoffs. Not one has a bonafide center. Everyone on the floor at a given time can shoot the 3. The true centers on these rosters are stapled to the bench. I think that should tell everyone that the game has evolved. Unless there is a Shaq-like prospect in the draft, the era of centers is kinda of dead, IMO.

There is always the midset of how do we match up with other teams, not how can we win a matchup against the other teams. Not how do we adjust, but how do we make them adjust. I mean, Joe Johnson is on the rockets and hardly plays other than blow outs. I dont know if you are talking about matching up with the cavs anymore or the celtics in the east, but ever since Tristan Thompson got paid and fell in love, he was not much help in the regular season, Love is not guarding anyone down low, he pounds, reaches and picks up fouls.

As far as why, look at game 1 of the rockets warriors series, it was James or Paul taking turns dribbling around for 16 seconds and launching a shot. Thats what ends up happening. If you are old enough to remember the bulls of the dynasty years, every first few possessions were constantly down low to Cartwright or Longley. Sure they got away from it, but it always set the tone with the big man. Now, you have big men who fall in love with shooting 3's and have little to no post game, so it makes sense to load up with big 2's and big 3's who end up playing 2, 3 and 4 sometimes the 5.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Centers haven't evolved, they have been eradicated by rule enforcement tweaks from season to season. Now the NBA encourages every team to prototypically start a combo guard, two swingmen, at least one stretch forwards and/or one power forward. There is no center position any more, only forwards that have a centers wingspan and/or height.

So basically the league is prime for exploiting all the holes in this roster style. You don't follow the trend to try and beat the trend. You think outside the box and set the next trend. That, or pray 3 top-20 players want to join forces, and that happens to be in your city and on your team.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Reports are that the Bulls are the team that gave Chandler Hutchison the promise to draft him at 22. He’s a wing who averaged 20 PPG 8 RPG and 3 APG as a senior at Boise State.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Lol of course he plays for Boise State....

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
If you promise a player that you're going to pick him. Then his people leak this information out, that's considered grounds for reneging. So I'm not sure it happens now, but he might leak that info to pump him even higher, or the Bulls to take light off another player in reach and add to Hutchison's spotlight.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Why the fuck would we promise to draft a player there?

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Reports are that the Bulls are the team that gave Chandler Hutchison the promise to draft him at 22. He’s a wing who averaged 20 PPG 8 RPG and 3 APG as a senior at Boise State.

So if MPJ and Bamba are off the board im assuming they are taking Wendell Carter @ 7.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
If they are going to go big at 7, I’d like Bamba. If not, I’d rather have MPJ or Mikal. Executives think Luka isn’t going to Sacramento or Atlanta because they want to go with an American prospect. Memphis is open to moving out of 4, I’d like to see them make a move. I know he’s euro and people have their doubts, but we’ve never seen a European prospect like this. League MVP at 19! He’s incredible.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
If they are going to go big at 7, I’d like Bamba. If not, I’d rather have MPJ or Mikal. Executives think Luka isn’t going to Sacramento or Atlanta because they want to go with an American prospect. Memphis is open to moving out of 4, I’d like to see them make a move. I know he’s euro and people have their doubts, but we’ve never seen a European prospect like this. League MVP at 19! He’s incredible.

How many games have you watched of Doncic?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Luka Doncic travels a lot. I'm not sure he gets away with it in the NBA. I mean, he doesn't even hide it in his crossover, he puts his whole hand under the ball simply scanning the sets and he isn't quick enough to hide it. Even the untrained eye should catch him doing it constantly.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Raskolnikov made a good point in his post. What direction do we want to take this team? Do we want to go big and beat up on all the teams who are going more and more towards small ball (draft a big like Bamba early if there or Jarren Jackson) or try to match up with teams like Houston and GS. Draft a 3-and-D guy like Mikal Bridges and play Lauri at the 5.

The way the draft falls may dictate that for us though.

I dont think this team has a direction with Hoiberg coaching. Direction is college sets and jack up threes. If you hit more than you miss you win, if you dont, you get steam rolled. Paxson is so hell bent on making people see he did not make a mistake with Freddy no tie, that his vision is clouded. He will be forced to give Levine more than Jimmy would have made to keep this team on his shoulders.

If they stick with fred, its guys that can hit threes over bigs.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
How many games have you watched of Doncic?

5-10. I always try to find games to watch on european players that are getting a lot of hype/or are projected to be drafted high.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I dont think this team has a direction with Hoiberg coaching. Direction is college sets and jack up threes. If you hit more than you miss you win, if you dont, you get steam rolled. Paxson is so hell bent on making people see he did not make a mistake with Freddy no tie, that his vision is clouded. He will be forced to give Levine more than Jimmy would have made to keep this team on his shoulders.

If they stick with fred, its guys that can hit threes over bigs.

Fred was/is Gar’s guy.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
5-10. I always try to find games to watch on european players that are getting a lot of hype/or are projected to be drafted high.

Ok so you have a leg up on me cause I only watched highlight videos. But it seems like literally every drive he takes is to the right. From the vids I watched I never saw him drive left. Huge concern.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ok so you have a leg up on me cause I only watched highlight videos. But it seems like literally every drive he takes is to the right. From the vids I watched I never saw him drive left. Huge concern.
I feel like this is a complaint about many a prospect, yet it never really ends up mattering.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I feel like this is a complaint about many a prospect, yet it never really ends up mattering.

Perhaps. But how many star players you know of are only one handed drivers? You can’t just only drive to your strong side and be a legit star in the league. I literally can’t think of any. He also looks kind of slower than what I would have expected from all the hype. Looks average athletically. Great shooter and stroke though.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
He's 19. He'll develop his off hand. All players favor their dominant hand. You just have to trust that he'll work hard enough to develop that off hand. And if his dominant hand is so good that he still goes that way even when opposing players know he wants to go that way then that's even more impressive.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
He's 19. He'll develop his off hand. All players favor their dominant hand. You just have to trust that he'll work hard enough to develop that off hand. And if his dominant hand is so good that he still goes that way even when opposing players know he wants to go that way then that's even more impressive.

There's also better athletes and tougher defenders in the NBA. He's impressive but he's not without his concerns. And not everyone develops their off hand. Remember when Luol Deng was the #2 HS recruit behind LeBron James? All he needed to do was work on his ball handling. Well so much for that. And he was a hard worker. Not saying Doncic will fall into that category but even at 19, I expected a bit more diversity from his drives.