Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I had an incredible experience today at OTAs. Unlike my last visit, they took us outside to the edge of the practice fields. At the end of the day one of their college scouts did a Q & A session back in the suite.

So much to share...

WRs

Robinson was walking around in shorts. He's moving well and is not wearing a brace. He did not participate at all.

Anthony Miller looks awesome. He appears both quick and fast but he's an advanced route runner too. He's really quick out of his breaks and is a hands catcher. He was making plays all over the field with both Trubisky and Daniel. He caught everything cleanly except for one pass that he bobbled but snatched out of the air and controlled. That one could have been trouble because it was over the middle. I'm excited he's a Bear.

Javon Wims was also making plays and getting decent separation. He gained inside leverage on a couple of different corners on slants and was smooth catching the ball all day. He doesn't look like a 7th round pick.

Josh Bellamy is an athletic guy. When you see him at field level, he looks the part. He caught the ball well today. He made a nice adjustment on a ball Trubisky placed behind him and barely lost any speed reeling it in.

Kevin White is moving well (he's not lumbering like last year) and looked great in drills and made a few catches in 11 on 11s. Fingers crossed...

Taylor Gabriel is a tiny bullet train. He split the safeties in a blink of an eye on a pass over the middle but fumbled the ball without contact before scoring a TD. He did recover the ball. It should have been an easy TD.

Gentry, Brown, Bellamy and Fowler are going to be battling for a few spots. Fowler was much more involved on teams so he's going to have a chance. Gentry looks like he's spent some time working on his route running but I can't imagine he cracks the 53.

Cohen and Gabriel are going to be tough to handle when they're deployed together.

RBs

Jordan Howard looks lean. He's definitely shed some weight. He caught the passes I saw thrown to him but it's tough to judge running plays when they're in shorts.

Cohen is not going to be underutilized by Nagy. He was deployed in the backfield and as a receiver. I know he added some muscle but he's just as fast as last year. That guy can cut on a dime.

TEs

Burton, Shaheen and Sims all caught balls in 11 on 11. I think all three are going to have high snap counts this year. Shaheen just looks more confident and when you're at field level you can see that he's open even if he's not open. He's a bitch to cover with that height and he runs well for his size. He should be a consistent chain mover with the ability to attack the seam at times.

I need to answer some emails but I'll check back in later with more info.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hey playthrough, thanks for the info. I know you mentioned Kevin White catching some balls- was he getting any separation?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Thanks Bears26 and playthrough.

Playthrough....i know you said J.Howard caught all the passes thrown to him but were they throwing a lot to him?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Hey playthrough, thanks for the info. I know you mentioned Kevin White catching some balls- was he getting any separation?

He wasn't running by anyone but he was getting out out of his breaks cleanly and the windows looked decent to me. It was easier to tell when we were behind the offense. We were located behind the end zone.

The guys creating consistent separation were Miller, Cohen and Gabriel.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
I had an incredible experience today at OTAs. Unlike my last visit, they took us outside to the edge of the practice fields. At the end of the day one of their college scouts did a Q & A session back in the suite.

So much to share...

WRs

Robinson was walking around in shorts. He's moving well and is not wearing a brace. He did not participate at all.

Anthony Miller looks awesome. He appears both quick and fast but he's an advanced route runner too. He's really quick out of his breaks and is a hands catcher. He was making plays all over the field with both Trubisky and Daniel. He caught everything cleanly except for one pass that he bobbled but snatched out of the air and controlled. That one could have been trouble because it was over the middle. I'm excited he's a Bear.

Javon Wims was also making plays and getting decent separation. He gained inside leverage on a couple of different corners on slants and was smooth catching the ball all day. He doesn't look like a 7th round pick.

Josh Bellamy is an athletic guy. When you see him at field level, he looks the part. He caught the ball well today. He made a nice adjustment on a ball Trubisky placed behind him and barely lost any speed reeling it in.

Kevin White is moving well (he's not lumbering like last year) and looked great in drills and made a few catches in 11 on 11s. Fingers crossed...

Taylor Gabriel is a tiny bullet train. He split the safeties in a blink of an eye on a pass over the middle but fumbled the ball without contact before scoring a TD. He did recover the ball. It should have been an easy TD.

Gentry, Brown, Bellamy and Fowler are going to be battling for a few spots. Fowler was much more involved on teams so he's going to have a chance. Gentry looks like he's spent some time working on his route running but I can't imagine he cracks the 53.

Cohen and Gabriel are going to be tough to handle when they're deployed together.

RBs

Jordan Howard looks lean. He's definitely shed some weight. He caught the passes I saw thrown to him but it's tough to judge running plays when they're in shorts.

Cohen is not going to be underutilized by Nagy. He was deployed in the backfield and as a receiver. I know he added some muscle but he's just as fast as last year. That guy can cut on a dime.

TEs

Burton, Shaheen and Sims all caught balls in 11 on 11. I think all three are going to have high snap counts this year. Shaheen just looks more confident and when you're at field level you can see that he's open even if he's not open. He's a bitch to cover with that height and he runs well for his size. He should be a consistent chain mover with the ability to attack the seam at times.

I need to answer some emails but I'll check back in later with more info.

How about TRU?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Some other things of note...

The Bears are either trying to stress the players on O during practice or D coordinators are really going to have to pay attention this year. They ran in new personnel groups and changed the formations on every play. Guys were coming off the sideline 4 and 5 at a time. I can't tell you how many formations they were in today too. One grouping had White outside with Gabriel while Cohen and Miller were in the slot. So many variations on personnel combined with a myriad of formations...

I saw Nall working out with the running backs and running routes with the TEs. He's a big guy and he's fluid in his movements. He's going to have a great chance to make the team with his talent and position flexibility.

Jonathan Mincy had a pick six on Daniel.

The first string DBs look good considering the offense was working without a pass rush. Eddie Jackson had some nice pass defenses.

The only rookie getting first team reps was Miller. The D was in nickel most the time and Smith would sub in for Trevathan.

Kush was with the first group at LG.

Kyle Long was out there in shorts but looks like he's regained his size. He did not participate.

Bray really looks like a NFL QB in shorts. He's tall and has a big arm but he's not too accurate. He did hit Marlon Brown for a TD during 3rd group 11 on 11.

So the Bears had one of their college scouting directors do some Q&A. He was pretty young and I was surprised how candid he was.

I asked how long after 39 they put together the plan to move up for Miller. I also asked if there was a particular guy leading the charge for Miller like Pace, Nagy or the area scout. He said they never stop working the phones but moving up for Miller was a top priority. He said Miller impressed the whole scouting staff and they had consensus on his talent. He actually said Miller was their third ranked receiver. He said they found the right deal with the Pats and pulled the trigger.

Another guy asked if Nelson and Smith were both available at 8, who's the pick? He said there would have been a huge debate and his vote would have been Smith. He believes Smith will positively impact games from day 1 and while Nelson will be a great player he will not have as noticeable and dramatic impact week to week. Based on his answer and body language, my guess is they would have taken Nelson. However, that is just my take.

Some old dude asked if they had to trade up to 2 for Trubisky. I groaned out loud as did others. He said there was a flurry of interest for Mitch and they had a pretty good gauge on the situation. He said anyone suggesting there was not other interest for the 2nd pick is full of "baloney" including Peter King. Fire away if you must but he was in the draft room and I'm just telling you what he said.

He said they wanted a CB but none of the value on the board lined up with the position in the draft. He said they think they signed the best UDFA corners and agents realized the Bears would be a good place to sign for a shot.

He said they had considerable competition to sign Nall, Joseph and Toliver. He said Toliver is an interesting kid because he's the first guy Pace has considered (he's talking draft and UDFAs not McDonald) with off the field issues but he's so talented they rolled the dice. He said they really like Nall and had him in prior to the draft.

He said Iggy was an easy pick in the 4th. He was rated considerably higher than anyone else on their board at that point.

They were also surprised that Fitts and Wims were available in the 6th and 7th.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No one is really paying attention. About a month ago Long said he was ready to go full speed but the team was being cautious. You still had fans saying no one knows if he'll be ready....well Kyle knew and so did the Bears.

and I really hoping Shaheen can ball out...that will make this offense scary to scheme against.

If Pace hits on all the small school fucks he drafted last year, its gonna be pretty damn impressive on his resume

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Iggy and Nichols definetly belong on the “getting off the bus team” both look huge.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Playthrough, thanks for the updates.

Any thoughts on Daniels?

Daniels was running with the second team at LG. It is almost impossible to get a read on o lineman at an OTA. They have to put on the pads. I noticed he was wearing braces on both knees.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Daniels was running with the second team at LG. It is almost impossible to get a read on o lineman at an OTA. They have to put on the pads. I noticed he was wearing braces on both knees.

giphy.gif

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Isn't that college standard practice now? Perhaps to him it's just habit...

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Isn't that college standard practice now? Perhaps to him it's just habit...

It could be and he seemed absolutely fine but Sere asked my thoughts on Daniels and it’s something that stuck in my mind.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wore those in college as well.