Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't know that I would consider a 2nd and a 4th "cheap", but time will tell if it was a valuable pick or not. The kicker to move up a year wasn't enough to make me not like the trade.

As far as Miller, I'm excited that he's looking like he will be the starting slot. Most rookie WRs don't put up big numbers their first year. Hopefully this allows him to be the exception and not the rule.

Related to paragraph one and the price being "cheap"- In the real world, the reason current assets are more valuable than future assets is primarily the time value of money, which includes alternative investments. In the NFL, the reason current draft picks are more valuable than future picks primarily has to do with the short duration of regimes and the pressure to "win now". There Browns thought process was legit, they just had poor execution (Wentz was worth more than so the picks) and not enough job security. The Patriots have been doing it for years. Smart teams should take advantage of the additional capital from a trade to future years.

Since it was for a 2nd we didn't have, it cost us a 4th. Actually less than that value considering it was next years 2nd. Awesome trade for what the thought was the 3rd best WR in this draft.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You're arguing an instance. I'm arguing a philosophy. We can both be correct. I like Miller, he could very well be worth the second and fourth.

Hold on, you have me confused now. Are you trying to say Pace's draft day philosophy is detrimental? I suppose you have an argument there to be made about him trading picks to get Floyd, Trubisky and Miller. Except the thing is that its only detrimental when the guys you acquired through those draft day trades don't pan out. Hasn't happened yet. Should it turn out to be that Trubisky or Miller bust out then for sure you have something to talk aboot. IMO Floyd already showed enough to say he was worth trading for.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
First, you are trying to argue that the Bears highly overpaid for Miller because they gave up next year´s 2nd and this year´s 4th round picks.
Actually, I didn't. I have said I didn't mind the trade. The philosophy of trading future picks for current ones just gives up value in the long run and can be used by a team to maximize value. That is the entirety of my point.

Modo destroyed your argument with the following quote:

Then you tried to say that your argument was about using a 2nd rounder to draft Miller being super high because 2nd round picks are the 2nd most valuable draft pick in most team´s draft.

Not only is this not a critical argument but is also shallow thinking. All drafts have strengths and weaknesses that are specific to that draft. The 2018 NFL draft had as two of its strengths a good amount of inside linemen and basically all of the top WRs having a low 1st and high 2nd round grade. Because the Bears thought critically, they were able to get possibly the #2 inside lineman in the whole draft and their target WR in the 2nd.

Seeing that the 2019 draft is an unknown, it is quite possible that the Bears would have had to pay much more than their 2019 2nd round pick for a WR of Miller´s worth because the strengths of the 2019 draft could be quite different than they are in 2018. Because of this, it is well worth the 4th round pick to be able to pick up Miller this year.

This may be quite true, but you had better explain your critical thinking better than you have.

Again. You think I'm arguing against Miller. The worst I said about it is that it wasn't cheap. It wasn't cheap. He could still be worth it. My argument is about a larger philosophy of trading future draft capital for current draft capital while paying a premium.

gilder121

Donator
Liked Posts:
Hold on, you have me confused now. Are you trying to say Pace's draft day philosophy is detrimental? I suppose you have an argument there to be made about him trading picks to get Floyd, Trubisky and Miller. Except the thing is that its only detrimental when the guys you acquired through those draft day trades don't pan out. Hasn't happened yet. Should it turn out to be that Trubisky or Miller bust out then for sure you have something to talk aboot. IMO Floyd already showed enough to say he was worth trading for.

I'm happy he's getting the guys he wants. I loved the Trubisky trade. These are individual instances. As a larger philosophy, it is a value loss in the long term.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Its a perfectly valid sentiment and I understand what you mean now. I am sure you picked up on where I am at on that thought. The moment he whiffs on a player he trades for I will be there to say it was a detriment.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You don't have a leg to stand on or a pot to piss in. You're at the bottom of the totem pole chief. BTW what happened to your grammar? Did you have a stroke? Or did you at the ripe age of 19 already reach the fuck it age where you just don't give a shit how much of an idiot you look like?

That's your problem you care what the people here think of you.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
My argument is about a larger philosophy of trading future draft capital for current draft capital while paying a premium.
And that is where your argument falls apart. It was not a premium. It was fair value to make that trade.

Or consider this: do you think that the Patriots or any other team would trade their 2018 2nd round pick for another team´s 2019 2nd round pick?

If you cannot answer yes to the above question, then your argument holds no water.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's your problem you care what the people here think of you.

Thousands of posts you've witnessed from me and this is the conclusion you've arrived at?

giphy.gif

gilder121

Donator
Liked Posts:
If you cannot answer yes to the above question, then your argument holds no water.

Thats truly terrible logic. Of course that isn't the market, we all know that. But the way the market is right now, where you can do it and get an extra fourth is worth it for the team giving up the current year's pick for the reasons I've laid out previously.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Obviously it will come down to Miller's success. One key consideration is that by drafting a WR this year, Trubisky and Miller have a head start in working together. As many have pointed out, it usually takes a year for WRs to adapt to the NFL and maximize productivity. Waiting until next year would just delay this production for a year down the road.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Thats truly terrible logic. Of course that isn't the market, we all know that. But the way the market is right now, where you can do it and get an extra fourth is worth it for the team giving up the current year's pick for the reasons I've laid out previously.

No, you were the one who was arguing that the Bears gave up a premium pick. You went one extreme and I went the other extreme.

The Bears gave up very little to get a 2nd round pick this year.

Would you have been crying so much had the Bears given up their 2018 3rd and 4th round picks (I know. I know. They didn´t have the 3rd round pick) for the 2018 2nd round pick?

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Obviously it will come down to Miller's success. One key consideration is that by drafting a WR this year, Trubisky and Miller have a head start in working together. As many have pointed out, it usually takes a year for WRs to adapt to the NFL and maximize productivity. Waiting until next year would just delay this production for a year down the road.

Of course. Why wait until next year to pick up a receiver of similar talent, if he were to even exist, when all it took was swapping 2nd rounders and one of your two 4th rounders this year to get him on your roster now. There is something to be said about picking up a rookie receiver now so that he is learning the offense at the same pace as the rest of the offensive roster. If Pace waited until next year to do that then that player would be a year behind the rest of the offense and would be closer to a developmental piece than a potential starter.

gilder121

Donator
Liked Posts:
No, you were the one who was arguing that the Bears gave up a premium pick. You went one extreme and I went the other extreme.

The Bears gave up very little to get a 2nd round pick this year.

Would you have been crying so much had the Bears given up their 2018 3rd and 4th round picks (I know. I know. They didn´t have the 3rd round pick) for the 2018 2nd round pick?

Again, you are talking about Miller, and I'm talking draft philosophy. You are taking a stand against something I'm not saying. I'm not sure what part of "The kicker to move up a year wasn't enough to make me not like the trade." Made you think I was against this specific trade.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Of course. Why wait until next year to pick up a receiver of similar talent, if he were to even exist, when all it took was swapping 2nd rounders and one of your two 4th rounders this year to get him on your roster now. There is something to be said about picking up a rookie receiver now so that he is learning the offense at the same pace as the rest of the offensive roster. If Pace waited until next year to do that then that player would be a year behind the rest of the offense and would be closer to a developmental piece than a potential starter.

Not knowing what will happen in 2019, it might cost a mid 1st rounder to get a WR of similar talent so a 2018 4th round pick to get him was peanuts.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not knowing what will happen in 2019, it might cost a mid 1st rounder to get a WR of similar talent so a 2018 4th round pick to get him was peanuts.

Not to mention the past clearly impacted the present in the case of Ryan Pace revamping the receiver position. He got caught with his pants down last season losing his top two receivers. He went balls deep this time around saying "not again."

napo55

Liked Posts:
Not to mention the past clearly impacted the present in the case of Ryan Pace revamping the receiver position. He got caught with his pants down last season losing his top two receivers. He went balls deep this time around saying "not again."

True. And having invested so much and with such high hopes for Trubisky, it makes sense to provide him with the best receivers possible now, and not a year or two in the uncertain future. I think the trade was a no-brainer.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:

Newblood

Liked Posts:
We lost next years 2nd we didn’t swap the logic is off you can’t get back what you lost in next years draft that’s what I meant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is this so complicated for you?
Bears paid a 4th to essentially use next year's 2nd, this year.
They didn't lose a 2nd.
They had a 2019 2nd, then they had a 2018 2nd for the cost of a 4th