Interesting Ryan Pace quotes

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ryan Pace on a successful free agency:

“I feel our opportunity became more attractive in free agency,” he said. “A lot of times it’s going to come down to money, but when there are tiebreakers, they look at the quarterback (Mako Mitch (^^^)(^^^)(^^^)), the stability. You could feel those things were working in our advantage.”

Ryan Pace on Allen Robinson:

“We felt very comfortable with Allen Robinson,” Pace said of the former Jaguar who had a 1,400-yard season in 2015. “He’s still young, he’s well-rounded, he has an unbelievable work ethic and professionalism, and he’s big and strong.”

Ryan Pace on Trey Burton:

“Immediately after hiring Matt, he stressed the value of the U tight end for this offense,” Pace said. “There was a clear vision for Trey, how he fits, and how he’ll be utilized. Not a huge factor, but there’s also the extra bonus that he’s familiar with the offense.”

Ryan Pace on Cody Parkey:

“He’s a young kicker that’s been to a Pro Bowl who also had background with [special teams coach] Chris Tabor [in Cleveland], so we knew the person we were getting as well,” Pace said.

Ryan Pace on Kevin White:

“He’s fast, he will go up and attack the ball,” Pace said. “One thing that’s hard for Kevin, besides the injury, is we’ve been through three receiver coaches. We’ve changed the offense. It’s a transition for any player from college offense to NFL, but it especially applies to receivers because the route tree is so much more demanding, the terminology increases so much. You can see Kevin getting more and more comfortable with his play, just playing fast instead of thinking so much. Our new receivers coach Mike Furrey is doing a good job, he’s really good.”

Ryan Pace on Cameron Meredith:

“Based on what we did in the offseason and what we could do in the draft, it didn’t make sense for us to match the offer,” Pace told me. “The receiver position is one you can overhaul pretty quickly, and we tried to do that. Cam was a good player and a big hit for us, and I hope he does really well, honestly.”

Ryan Pace on Josh Sitton:

“We had to make a decision with his contract,” he said. “We knew we had the flexibility to play Cody Whitehair at center or guard. We like Eric Kush. And it was a deep position in the draft. So now we have a young group, and the addition of Harry Hiestand is understated. He’s awesome. Whoever we add to the room, he’s going to maximize. Especially a guy like James Daniels who is only 20-years old and has a lot of development ahead of him.”

Ryan Pace on interest in Quenton Nelson:

“It’s a difficult thing to weigh,” Pace said. “But he’s so rare that he overcomes some of those things. It was an interesting discussion. He might be the best college offensive lineman I’ve ever evaluated. He’s a dominant player. We liked him a lot, and we had intimate knowledge of him with Harry.”

Ryan Pace on Roquan Smith:

“Roquan was too good to pass up,” Pace said. “There were probably more glaring needs on the roster but he just checked so many boxes in addition to being a great player. He can be the bell cow on defense for us for a long time. He has all those [leadership] traits. And he is self-aware enough to let it happen naturally over time. Everybody you talk to at Georgia raves about those traits in addition to being a great player. Every great defense has to have that centerpiece. We feel he can be that for us.”

“Roquan made sense for us in part because I was confident we could get an interior lineman in the second round,” Pace said. “We felt interior linemen went deep in the second round — whether it was James Daniels or Austin Corbett or Will Hernandez, they were going to be there. So to be able to hit with Roquan and then get a starting level interior lineman, it fit well for us.”

Ryan Pace on the edge rusher position:

“It wasn’t a very deep position in the draft, or in free agency,” Pace said. “There were two guys worth taking high — Bradley Chubb and Marcus Davenport — and then a dip. The worst thing you can do is force it.”

“Leonard Floyd has to stay healthy and have a good year,” Pace said. “Aaron Lynch has to come on. Vic [Fangio] had background with Aaron Lynch, so that gave us a comfort level in signing him. There is upside there. He’s still a young player. He fits the defense and knows Vic. Sam Acho has been a consistent player for us. We felt fortunate to get Kylie Fitts in the sixth round, and he has to stay healthy. You are never going to come out of the offseason and say we addressed everything, we’re perfect.”

https://theathletic.com/360911/2018/05/20/pompei-bears-gm-ryan-pace-feels-confident-in-his-offseason-moves-will-they-results-in-more-wins/

Last edited:

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pace is far from perfect but it’s nice to see the GM see the same problems with the roster as everyone else and be candid about them.

It always seemed like Angelo either didn’t see or refused to acknowledge roster issues, ie WR and OL. But he was in the “solution business.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like the quote on Allen Robinson because it kinda coincides with an article I read on ACL injuries. Pace comments on his youth, superior work ethic, and size. Reading between the lines, Pace is aware that he can't expect the guy's raw athleticism to ever be 100%. Sheer work ethic & professionalism will keep this former great athlete's head above water enough to be effective in the NFL. He'll never put up 1400 yards again, but hopefully 800.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I like the quote on Allen Robinson because it kinda coincides with an article I read on ACL injuries. Pace comments on his youth, superior work ethic, and size. Reading between the lines, Pace is aware that he can't expect the guy's raw athleticism to ever be 100%. Sheer work ethic & professionalism will keep this former great athlete's head above water enough to be effective in the NFL. He'll never put up 1400 yards again, but hopefully 800.

Wtf? He can be 100% again. May not happen immediately but he will get there.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
"Especially a guy like James Daniels who is only 20-years old and has a lot of development ahead of him.”

If Leno continues to perform and Long can pick up his shit, I really like the direction of this OL. Should be very solid in the coming years and allow Trubisky to eat less sacks.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Wtf? He can be 100% again. May not happen immediately but he will get there.

Even at 100%, he's not likely to ever get that many yards in this offense and with the weapons we have.

But it will give Halftime an opportunity to say a clueless "I told you so", so he'll be happy....

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
If Leno continues to perform and Long can pick up his shit, I really like the direction of this OL. Should be very solid in the coming years and allow Trubisky to eat less sacks.
Mitchell will still eat some sacks, don't get it twisted.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Even at 100%, he's not likely to ever get that many yards in this offense and with the weapons we have.

But it will give Halftime an opportunity to say a clueless "I told you so", so he'll be happy....

We have weapons now? Great. Then it shouldn't be a problem jumping outta gutter with our passing game to the top 3rd of the league. Great news.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I know it is a dead horse, but if Sitton is still here, we do not have to hurry Long or Daniels into the starting lineup, maybe one of them, but not both.

I am worried that Daniels will be forced to play even if he is not ready.

Oline is going to be interesting this year, but I hope for the best.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Well when you've basically criticized everything R.Pace has done in free agency and the drafts then it won't be hard to get a couple of i told you so's.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nice to hear he also like Davenport. Totally understand not passing on Smith.:beer:

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know it is a dead horse, but if Sitton is still here, we do not have to hurry Long or Daniels into the starting lineup, maybe one of them, but not both.

That would be contrary to what they said. Why would they knowingly put someone in their that would create a failing situation. I should think they would put in Kush in that case. Nagy said Smith is working with the second team until he earns a spot on the first team. Wouldn't Daniel's be the same?

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I liked Sitton but his age is a factor, could be his body is breaking down. See how he does in Miami. Daniels will be a big plus for the Oline.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:

God I hope not. If the Bears just sunk $14M/year on a WR that you're hoping will get 800 yards... that's a terrible return on investment.

But it was nice to see Pace's views on a lot of stuff. He probably won't be 100% honest about everything, but like Milky said, nice to see that Pace sees the same things fans do regarding weaknesses to the team.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
God I hope not. If the Bears just sunk $14M/year on a WR that you're hoping will get 800 yards... that's a terrible return on investment.

But it was nice to see Pace's views on a lot of stuff. He probably won't be 100% honest about everything, but like Milky said, nice to see that Pace sees the same things fans do regarding weaknesses to the team.

We invested in AR as a key piece to make the ENTIRE offense work. Not just to get a set number of targets-catches-yards so some fans think he is worth the contract.

Pace/Nagy are building a NFL offense....not a fantasy football squad...

Treehorn

Liked Posts:

This isn't Gale Sayers in the 60's. Players come back from ACLs routinely like it was a sprained ankle.

What are you basing the bolded part on?