OT: Tailgating/game day eats/homemade cooking devices

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ok... it's finally Spring/Summer in most of the US so it's time for everyone that hibernates their grill during the winter months to start busting them out and cooking it up. During the season we typically have a few threads on here where we discuss game day eats. (always interesting to see what people are cooking, how they're cooking it and whatnot) Well this is basically on par with that except I was wondering if you guys take something special to cook on for tailgating? (or camping trips for that matter) Better yet, I was wondering if any of you have made your own contraption to cook on? I know there's a grilling thread in the Bar forums... and I've already posted in there with pics of my custom contraption, the HDSkottie, (http://www.chicitysports.com/forum/showthread.php/12487-Official-CCS-Grillmasters-thread/page34) but since we all know this is the most popular forum, I figured I'd bring it up here as well.

Additionally, I'm out of the country right now and the food over here sux so I've been dreaming about getting back to my grills and such and what I'm gonna be making when I get home.

When the wife and I go on trips, we usually bring the materials/ingredients to make egg fried rice and huli huli chicken. (it's a hawaiian teriyaki style marinade) Mmm... Breakfast is usually eggs and bacon, but depending on the size of the group we may throw on some ground sausage, hashbrowns and tortillas as well and make some breakfast buritos.

How bout you guys?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Ok... it's finally Spring/Summer in most of the US so it's time for everyone that hibernates their grill during the winter months to start busting them out and cooking it up. During the season we typically have a few threads on here where we discuss game day eats. (always interesting to see what people are cooking, how they're cooking it and whatnot) Well this is basically on par with that except I was wondering if you guys take something special to cook on for tailgating? (or camping trips for that matter) Better yet, I was wondering if any of you have made your own contraption to cook on? I know there's a grilling thread in the Bar forums... and I've already posted in there with pics of my custom contraption, the HDSkottie, (http://www.chicitysports.com/forum/showthread.php/12487-Official-CCS-Grillmasters-thread/page34) but since we all know this is the most popular forum, I figured I'd bring it up here as well.

Additionally, I'm out of the country right now and the food over here sux so I've been dreaming about getting back to my grills and such and what I'm gonna be making when I get home.

When the wife and I go on trips, we usually bring the materials/ingredients to make egg fried rice and huli huli chicken. (it's a hawaiian teriyaki style marinade) Mmm... Breakfast is usually eggs and bacon, but depending on the size of the group we may throw on some ground sausage, hashbrowns and tortillas as well and make some breakfast buritos.

How bout you guys?
You should sell the HDSkottie. It is pretty sweet.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
lol... don't think I haven't thought about it.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

How bout you guys?

Your breakfast from the pic in that thread looks on point! Cool contraption. I'll stick with my Weber though. I'm looking to add a smoker right now. Any suggestions?

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It depends on your price point and amount of food you're interested in smoking at one time. Do you have a $ figure you're looking to work with? A lot of decent entry level smokers fit in the $250 - $350 range starting out. For that price range I would recommend a pitbarrel smoker if you're only interested in smoking, however I highly recommend a kamado style grill which gives you the diversity of grilling, cooking, baking and smoking. The Char-Griller Acorn is a decent entry level kamado style grill. It's just not as efficient as the pure ceramic kamado's like BGE or Kamado Joes. Both the Pit Barrel and Acorn go for $299 new. If you can find them used, it's worth it to look them over. A lot of people think they want to get into and then don't later down the road after a few uses.

edit: Also, the pit barrel is one of the simplest setups for smoking too. I have a friend that owns one and let's just say he leans towards convenience and simplicity. The pit barrel fits him to a T.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The PitBarrel Cooker is number 1 on my list currently.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Treager is the bomb, but I don't like that it needs electricity. I would like something more tailgate friendly

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
An immersion water cooker (Sous Vide) gives the best steaks (and meats in general). A quick sear on a hot grill to finish the meat for texture and appearance. Super simple, set it and forget it type cooking.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
An immersion water cooker (Sous Vide) gives the best steaks (and meats in general). A quick sear on a hot grill to finish the meat for texture and appearance. Super simple, set it and forget it type cooking.

My only issue with this is the extra steps and length of time. I'm also concerned that you just won't get the injection of smokieness from the grill in the short time you sear it. Can you speak to the last part? Does it still get that smokey flavor in the few seconds you sear it? Cast iron pans on stoves/ovens and steaks on gas grills just don't have the flavor I'm looking for.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Treager is the bomb, but I don't like that it needs electricity. I would like something more tailgate friendly

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's the main reason I didn't list the Treager. I don't like that you have to plug it in.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mexicans have been cooking taquizas on what you call the HDSkottie for ages. Except they use a larger diameter plate to hold more meat and the shape varies by who makes it. Its an excellent cooking surface.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mexicans have been cooking taquizas on what you call the HDSkottie for ages. Except they use a larger diameter plate to hold more meat and the shape varies by who makes it. Its an excellent cooking surface.

Heck yeah! Tons of people cook on "wok" style pans. They work great for all sorts of stuff! If you want to buy a professional made one similar to my setup it'll only cost you around $300 for an 18" pan to my 22". The parts for mine cost me ~$82. I've seen other companies selling them for $500. I like how easy mine is to break down and how portable it is.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My only issue with this is the extra steps and length of time. I'm also concerned that you just won't get the injection of smokieness from the grill in the short time you sear it. Can you speak to the last part? Does it still get that smokey flavor in the few seconds you sear it? Cast iron pans on stoves/ovens and steaks on gas grills just don't have the flavor I'm looking for.

If you use a grill, yes, you get some smokey char notes when soups vide(ing) and you finish it on a hot grill. No, it is not exactly the same as grilling the steak from start to finish. I souls vide steaks, use a gas grill and charcoal (Big Green Egg) depending on how much time I have and my (or my wife’s) mood. I don’t love charcoal flavors on my steak all of the time. I also use a pan and oven in some oil and a touch of butter, whole garlic cloves and some thyme sprigs, salt & pepper when it is super cold out.

Sous vide can actually be quite convenient and precise when you are serving a lot of people and/or aren’t set or positive on when you are eating.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Your breakfast from the pic in that thread looks on point! Cool contraption. I'll stick with my Weber though. I'm looking to add a smoker right now. Any suggestions?

Go with the Green Egg. It is worth the money IMO.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I live in an apartment right now. Fuck. My. Life. RIP my grill and smoker.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I live in an apartment right now. Fuck. My. Life. RIP my grill and smoker.

man... that sucks. My sister and her fiance live in an apartment a few blocks from Wrigley and they have a small weber that they put in a wagon and transport over to the park across Lake Shore Dr to grill. It's better than nothing I suppose...