5 reasons why Mitchell Trubisky will breakout in 2018

Sammich

Liked Posts:
Not a big fan of the author, but a positive article worth reading:

Mitchell Trubisky is set for a big leap forward in his second season, here is why

The Chicago Bears have received a lot of praise this offseason for what they have done to build around Mitchell Trubisky. They are set for a second-year jump. However, if Trubisky does not make a jump himself, it will hurt the team. Here are five reasons why Trubisky will be able to make that jump

Skill Players

As mentioned, life gets a lot easier when you have talented skill players around you to get the ball to. What is so nice about the skill players assembled for Trubisky is that the team was really looking for fits in the offense more than just overall talent.

Allen Robinson obviously leads the way with talent, but typically holds down as a big possession receiver. He is a much better route runner than some give him credit for. Taylor Gabriel and Anthony Miller are great with the ball in their hands. Trey Burton is a mismatch player who can help Mitchell Trubisky identify coverages pre-snap.

The offense has been crafted around the skill set of Trubisky and the idea is for him to get the ball out of his hands quickly and into the hands of his talent in the short passing game.

Coaches

This accounts for a variety of them. First and obviously, Matt Nagy. Nagy is a former quarterback. A former quarterback coach. A former offensive coordinator. He has spent his life dreaming of putting a player such as Mitchell Trubisky in an ideal situation.

The Chicago Bears gave him that chance. If you hear interviews of Ryan Pace talk about Matt Nagy he talks about the strong relationship he and Trubisky have and how the duo truly hit the ground running.

Mark Helfrich was hired to put in concepts he had at Oregon, which plays into the idea of getting the ball out of your hands fast. He also should be able to simplify some of the verbiages.

The transition to Helferich and Nagy will be easier with Dave Ragone being retained at quarterbacks coach. Trubisky developed a strong report with Ragone and it speaks volumes that he was the only offensive assistant retained.

Lastly, there is Harry Hiestand, an underrated addition to Trubisky. If the offensive can take a step forward next season Trubisky will be making quick passes to open receivers from clean pockets in an offense tailored to him. That could be a reason to believe he will break out.

Athleticism

The athleticism of Mitchell Trubisky is not highlighted often, but what he brings should make him a much more dynamic quarterback. To start with the obvious, he can run the football. Trubisky has said that he wants to run the football more. He has said that it is an added dimension and another thing to throw the defenses off.

His athleticism makes his job easier. It also makes his job easier in the pocket. He can evade sacks, and he was excellent when throwing on the run last season. The team can roll him out and get him making well-timed throws with strong decisions on the run.

This can add to making RPO’s tougher and is what made the Alex Smith led Chiefs and Carson Wentz led Eagles so tough to defend. These quarterbacks are not Michael Vick, but they pose the threat to run enough that it lingers in defenders heads. It is no surprise that Trubisky falls into a similar athletic tier to Wentz and Smith, and Matt Nagy just so happened to be interested.

Maturity

One of the more pleasant surprises that has come about this offseason has been the poise and maturity of Mitchell Trubisky. This is a young man coming off of a year where he likely did not hit all of his goals. He likely was not happy.

What he has done has worked to make sure that does not happen again. Coaches consistently mention how he is in the building every day. He snuck into rookie minicamp to see what was going on.

It went under the radar, but the mentorship of Mark Sanchez and Mike Glennon should be commended more. Trubisky has thanked both of them for helping him handle media obligations at such a young age. Sanchez has seen the ups and the downs of being a young pick with big expectations. Glennon got paid by the Chicago Bears almost solely based on the way he handled himself. Their guidance to wade him through the tough first season went a longer way than some might think.

Countless players have talked up Trubisky in the offense. The coaches have noted that he has taken on the leader mentality. Trubisky has taken on that leadership mentality and it should show up on the field as hard work tends to pay off.

Second-year progression

At the end of the day, second-year progression seems to be a theme much more prevalent than a sophomore slump in today’s NFL. Look no further than last season with Jared Goff and Carson Wentz. Jameis Winston jumped to 9 wins and Marcus Mariota saw his team go from three wins to eight.

Teams are understanding how the salary cap works and are using the rookie contract to make life easier for their quarterbacks. It should almost be expected for Trubisky to make that similar jump this season.

The quarterback room was once one built to prop him up. Now, the room is his. Chase Daniel and Tyler Bray as non-threatening as possible. He has complete control.

He is the leader of the room. Trubisky has the maturity, and athleticism to make plays happen. The skill players and the coaching staff are in line and were brought in specifically for Trubisky.

The signs are pointing to a breakout season for Mitchell Trubisky. Time will tell if he is able to live up to the expectations.

-Parker Hurley

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree that mobility and a willingness to burn a D with your feet is an asset but I don't want him diving for that extra yard etc. or trying to split tight gaps when running. Take what's given and protect yourself. He's a lot stronger than he looks but I don't want that coming out on the field against heat seeking missiles.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Most obvious article of the year award goes to Parker Hurley. Congrats!

Sammich

Liked Posts:
Most obvious article of the year award goes to Parker Hurley. Congrats!

Yeah, I kinda thought twice about posting the article.... lots of the content is pretty obvious. Still nice to see non-Bears homers write something positive about us.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Wouldn't it be great to have an NFL caliber QB on the Bears locking down the position for many years? It would be great if people outside of Bears fans were talking about the progress Trubs made in 2018 like people talked about Wentz and Goff after their 2nd season. We are so over due for some luck at the QB position. Luckman was quite a long time ago and only Ommy recalls seeing him play. Heck, even I was born after the Luckman years but I luckily got the guys like Jack Concannon, Virgil Carter, Bobby Douglass, et al...

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
"Teams are understanding how the salary cap works and are using the rookie contract to make life easier for their quarterbacks."

Dafuk is that even supposed to mean?!?

Did someone pay this man money to throw around nuggets of wisdom like that?!?

Trubisky will be better this season because of "athleticism" and "maturity"???

Of course he is athletic...he plays professional sports, dingbat! Also, no one is "mature" in their early twenties...not even Dear Sweet Mitchell.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Wouldn't it be great to have an NFL caliber QB on the Bears locking down the position for many years? It would be great if people outside of Bears fans were talking about the progress Trubs made in 2018 like people talked about Wentz and Goff after their 2nd season. We are so over due for some luck at the QB position. Luckman was quite a long time ago and only Ommy recalls seeing him play. Heck, even I was born after the Luckman years but I luckily got the guys like Jack Concannon, Virgil Carter, Bobby Douglass, et al...

I remember Concannon to Gordon, watching Bobby almost rush for 1000 yards when that actually meant something, and my dad took me to a Fire game when Virgil was the star there. I was excited when they traded for Mike Phipps but he had a tough time beating out slow mo Bob. yeah, those were the days.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I think we're OK for a while but imagine if he doesn't work out as expected.
roses-are-red-youre-doing-that-wrong-by-mail-foreign-26302356.png

Washington

Liked Posts:
I remember Concannon to Gordon, watching Bobby almost rush for 1000 yards when that actually meant something, and my dad took me to a Fire game when Virgil was the star there. I was excited when they traded for Mike Phipps but he had a tough time beating out slow mo Bob. yeah, those were the days.

Jack to Dick was a prolific combo indeed, by Bears standards, in the 70s. I liked Phipps too. It was a hoot watching Douglas run but funny watching him throw 5 yard passes at 100mph. The 70s was quite the era for Bears fans and from a wins versus losses perspective, not a whole lot different that recent times :). I bet there are only a handful of us on this board who actually saw the Bears play at Wrigley.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
"Teams are understanding how the salary cap works and are using the rookie contract to make life easier for their quarterbacks."

Dafuk is that even supposed to mean?!?.
So someone at least doesn't know how the rookie contract works.

It is a cheap contract (unlike before when it was a financial nightmare) that allows teams to use the money saved on the rookie QB to bring in expensive free agents without killing the cap of a team.

staleystarch

Liked Posts:
Jack to Dick was a prolific combo indeed, by Bears standards, in the 70s. I liked Phipps too. If was a hoot watching Douglas run but funny watching him throw 5 yard passes at 100mph. The 70s was quite the era for Bears fans and from a wins versus losses perspective, not a whole lot different that recent times :). I bet there are only a handful of us on this board who actually saw the Bears play at Wrigley.

The only reason I never saw Bears play at Wrigley was because I could not afford tickets at the time and Home games were blacked out back then. I did listen to the radio broadcasts.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is a cheap contract (unlike before when it was a financial nightmare) that allows teams to use the money saved on the rookie QB to bring in expensive free agents without killing the cap of a team.

I understand how that works.

You understand how that works.

99% of the peeps that would bother to be reading football stuff in the middle of June understand how that works. It has been all well and understood by NFL Teams since the current CBA was constructed seven years ago. It is not even anything close to resembling news, but this joker presents it like some revelation teams are just now having.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I understand how that works.

You understand how that works.

99% of the peeps that would bother to be reading football stuff in the middle of June understand how that works. It has been all well and understood by NFL Teams since the current CBA was constructed seven years ago. It is not even anything close to resembling news, but this joker presents it like some revelation teams are just now having.

You know, not every article written is meant only for knowledgeable (I use that word loosely with you) fans. Sometimes, they write articles to explain things to the more "average" fan, that may not obsess over their NFL team 24/7/365....

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You know, not every article written is meant only for knowledgeable (I use that word loosely with you) fans. Sometimes, they write articles to explain things to the more "average" fan, that may not obsess over their NFL team 24/7/365....

So, fans without a brane?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Then maybe the author should have expanded on: "Teams are understanding how the salary cap works and are using the rookie contract to make life easier for their quarterbacks."

That statement is missing a ton of hows and whys for these "average fans". Maybe you should expect more as a reader (I use that word loosely with you).

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think it's understood that it's by using that extra money to give him protection and targets.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mako Mitch is sensing blood in the water. (^^^) (^^^) (^^^)

Tostada

Liked Posts:
#1 Reason Trubs will break out...

He's not Patrick Mahomes

napo55

Liked Posts:

True. And I find it amusing that anyone would take the time to criticize the article when there is so much else to criticize on the message board: specifically the childish trading of insults and neverending juvenile spats that take up so much space. At least this article was Bears related and raised some valid points.

Chicoman

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Breakout like
CmhkUYV_d.jpg

Or breakout like
trubisky.jpg