2018 Hug watch thread..

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I just want to see Machado traded to Arizona the weekend before the all star game.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don't like the fit with JA Happ so I wouldn't love the idea of bringing him here but his FIP and xFIP are better than anyone on our staff and he has a higher WAR than any of our guys as well. Calling him garbage is silly and wholly inaccurate.

I have a hard time with the fit also. If Yu comes back then Chatwood is bumped and we sit with 3 lefties. If you trade for Happ then that means Montgomery is bumped next. Honestly as a 5 Montgomery is fine.
I see it that way right now. What worry’s me is if they feel Yu is toast for the year then this might be a realistic option.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Strikes me more as a contingency plan for darvish than something they are actively pursuing.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Strikes me more as a contingency plan for darvish than something they are actively pursuing.
Way i look at it too..

In case Darvish takes a little longer into August to return..
Plus if Darvish returns healthy and pitches even close to his expectations...
Happ at the very least could end up the 5th starter and a solid LH middle/long relief option in the playoffs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

PickSix

Liked Posts:
I’m not seeing the benefit of spending assets to get a bottom of rotation guy that provides little to no value for the playoffs. I’d get a late inning guy.

Pretty much have to bank on Yu to return to form if you plan to do much in the playoffs anyway.

Monty gets the 5 spot until the playoffs, then moves to long relief.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs seem to have interest in Eovaldi too..

I think id prefer Eovaldi over Happ

Heard they also made an offer for Machado..

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So, I'm not saying the cubs *should* do this but was reading bleacher nation and noticed they were apparently sniffing around vet outfielders. A later article mentioned the cubs also being connected to the mets starters. Connecting 2 dots they postulated that A only happens if B did first which makes sense. My thing has always been I don't know how you work another starter into the roster. Ideally you could include Chatwood in a deal but given how he's pitched and given he's got 2 more years here that seems rather unlikely.

With that being said, I had a thought. What if the idea were something like Happ + Quintana + probably more for one of de Grom or Syndergaard? Q has 2 really cheap option years left($10.5 and $11.5) which as we've seen in pitching trades is pretty damn valuable. de Grom has 2.5 years left before FA. Syndergaard has 3.5. Q isn't at that level of pitcher but given the team control and given what you know he can do when right it's not a huge step down for the mets. If they want to stay relevant he allows that and if they tank he's another guy they likely could move next july for more stuff.

From the cubs perspectively you're essentially consolidating more resources in 1 guy which typically is a bad deal unless you're a team trying to win a championship. I say that because typically you get more bang for your buck by spreading talent around your roster but that's sort of the problem with the roster as is. They have a lot of really good players and thus far none that are "great." Bryant obviously can be as can Rizzo but neither are playing at the "great" level. Darvish likely can be too but again he's hurt and wasn't pitching well before.

Anyways just thought it was an interesting idea to discuss.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
That's an outside the box thinking back. I wouldn't mind it for a bit.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
So, I'm not saying the cubs *should* do this but was reading bleacher nation and noticed they were apparently sniffing around vet outfielders. A later article mentioned the cubs also being connected to the mets starters. Connecting 2 dots they postulated that A only happens if B did first which makes sense. My thing has always been I don't know how you work another starter into the roster. Ideally you could include Chatwood in a deal but given how he's pitched and given he's got 2 more years here that seems rather unlikely.

With that being said, I had a thought. What if the idea were something like Happ + Quintana + probably more for one of de Grom or Syndergaard? Q has 2 really cheap option years left($10.5 and $11.5) which as we've seen in pitching trades is pretty damn valuable. de Grom has 2.5 years left before FA. Syndergaard has 3.5. Q isn't at that level of pitcher but given the team control and given what you know he can do when right it's not a huge step down for the mets. If they want to stay relevant he allows that and if they tank he's another guy they likely could move next july for more stuff.

From the cubs perspectively you're essentially consolidating more resources in 1 guy which typically is a bad deal unless you're a team trying to win a championship. I say that because typically you get more bang for your buck by spreading talent around your roster but that's sort of the problem with the roster as is. They have a lot of really good players and thus far none that are "great." Bryant obviously can be as can Rizzo but neither are playing at the "great" level. Darvish likely can be too but again he's hurt and wasn't pitching well before.

Anyways just thought it was an interesting idea to discuss.
You say Q, i said and still say Hendricks could be that guy too...

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
You say Q, i said and still say Hendricks could be that guy too...

Why would they move Hendricks? He's cheaper and under control for longer not to mention he's pitching better.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Why would they move Hendricks? He's cheaper and under control for longer not to mention he's pitching better.
Get more for him..
I think they might look to move him in the offseason if they look to change things up with the roster...

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Get more for him..
I think they might look to move him in the offseason if they look to change things up with the roster...

That entirely defeats the point. The past 3 years de Grom has been worth 4.26 fWAR per season. A fully healthy Hendricks is worth something like 4 wins a season and fWAR probably under rates him given his lack of ks. The entire point of making this sort of play to go after de Grom is have a rock solid 1-4 to go into the playoffs. Hendricks as we've seen is money in the playoffs. I'm not trying to shit on Q because when he's right I think he's a pretty good pitcher but between him and Hendricks it's not really much of a choice in my eyes.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Apparantly there a rumor that the cubs may be offering Russell and Happ for DeGrom...

If this deal is true and happens, i see it as ..

They might feel nico hoerner can be fast tracked to the majors

They feel they should get their TOR SP now that can help the rotation this year and next 2 years

They may be looking to go all in with adding Machado in the offseason

To survive the rest of this year..
They put Baez at SS and play Zobrist at 2B, as he should be rested and ready to go now..
Have LaStella and Bote as backup infielders ..

I could live with this while adding a stud SP at the top of the rotation to go with Lester and hopefully Darvish with Quintana and Hendricks, talk about having a sick rotation if the latter 3 pitch the way their capable of...

Then in the offseason you add Machado or Harper and just basically need to address the offensive needs ..
They can have a solid 1 thru 5 or use Quintana or Hendricks in a trade to upgrade other needs..

If this is legit, i think it something worth thinking about with upsides to the rest of this season and more so the next couple seasons...

Could be why there rumors that their looking to add a veteran OFer..

Edit:
Just thinking too, this could also be a move to allow them to bring Darvish back slowly and allow him to gain strength and stamina before returning full strength..
He could stay in Iowa or Tennessee a little longer, like having another ST and return at the end of August and be ready and fresh for the postseason

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It makes more sense to trade Chatwood and Happ if you are looking to upgrade a starter.

Trading Q or Hendricks is really not a significant upgrade honestly. Because you are going from 2-3 pitcher to a 1-2 level. Vs getting a over paid bum off the roster who shouldn’t be in the majors and get a 4-5 In return. That is worth losing Happ just taking away any responsibility of the train wreck Chatwood is

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Trade idea: no rumor just a muse:

Janakowski, Hand, Ross

Chatwood, Happ, Underwood, Mills

It pretty much solves some core issues for the Cubs. Adds a high end set up and turns the pen into the league best. Adds stability at the end of the rotation and gives a legit lead off type that you can plug in when needed.

Pads get 3 SP that probley excel with their track record of taking back end starters and making them far better. And they get a core hitter looking ahead. They already have a top system so this gives them plug and play types

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Rumors of interest in Granderson or Jones for veteran presence..

They could just as easily bring up Chris Coughlan to be that guy too