When can we expect Roquan Smith to be signed?

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
dumpster-fire.gif

tenor.gif

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure this is accurate.

Giants, Rams, Bills and Jets have all been confirmed.

Dan Grazalano was on ESPN 1000 and said while the Bears are not the most ridiculous about this stuff they are not in the majority.

Washington

Liked Posts:
This just seems like a stupid reason to have bad PR and piss away some of the momentum that was building.

Agreed. While this is a storied franchise, it is a quagmire in how ownership and management run it.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Love the guy enough to draft him at 8 despite bigger needs.

Don't love him enough to not want bullshit language in contract.

Only the Bears.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...rs-roquan-smith-contract-20180801-story.html#

"In an effort to end the contract impasse with first-round draft pick Roquan Smith, the Bears conceded they won’t go after his guaranteed money if the linebacker gets suspended under the NFL’s new rule legislating helmet contact, the Tribune has learned.

The Bears made this concession even before the recent public disclosure of the major sticking point, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. They are one of eight NFL teams willing to include contract language protecting a first-rounder’s guaranteed money if he’s suspended for an illegal hit, a source said."

"But Smith remains away from training camp because his representatives at CAA Football have insisted the Bears go even further and include contract language protecting the player from discipline for behavior outside the realm of a football play"

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sucks if true but I am giving the stink eye right now since its coming from one of the biggest wet blanket reporters in David Haugh.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
This makes more sense now from the Bears perspective if true. Smith's agency is crazy if they want additional wording for something outside of a football play.

They are just trying to prey on the weak.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...rs-roquan-smith-contract-20180801-story.html#

"In an effort to end the contract impasse with first-round draft pick Roquan Smith, the Bears conceded they won’t go after his guaranteed money if the linebacker gets suspended under the NFL’s new rule legislating helmet contact, the Tribune has learned.

The Bears made this concession even before the recent public disclosure of the major sticking point, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. They are one of eight NFL teams willing to include contract language protecting a first-rounder’s guaranteed money if he’s suspended for an illegal hit, a source said."

"But Smith remains away from training camp because his representatives at CAA Football have insisted the Bears go even further and include contract language protecting the player from discipline for behavior outside the realm of a football play"

Looks like Haugh's boy George McCaskey was sick of the league wide criticism and decided to leak the real issue.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
This is actually the only thing that makes sense. It would make no sense for the Bears to hold out on the guaranteed money language as it relates to helmet-to-helmet hits. One, the seal’s already been broken with the other signees. You ain’t putting the genie back in the bottle, at least not until the next collective bargaining agreement. Two, it’s absolutely terrible PR for a franchise that desperately needs a win among its fan base.

The Bears probably leaked these details because they’re sitting back, in good faith after already agreeing to the guaranteed money language, and having to watch the whole football world shame them for not agreeing to something they actually agreed to weeks ago. If this is true, this completely flips 180 and puts me on the side of the Bears.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Looks like Haugh's boy George McCaskey was sick of the league wide criticism and decided to leak the real issue.

George could careless about what the fans think.