“That was all my agent.” “That was my agent.” “That was between my agent and Mr.Pace”

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I’m not a Roquan hater at all. I said during the holdout that if it was truly about principles for Roquan Smith, he should do what he feels is right.

I also said that if he was just a CAA pawn, that doesn’t bode well for his future as an intelligent football leader.

After listening to his availability today, wow. Just wow.

I hope he’s successful. I really do. But the answer is clear now.

The media didn’t even really try to trip him up or corner him. On softball questions on whether he had ANYTHING to do with the deal getting done yesterday or how involved he was in the process or what the holdout was about or even whether he felt it was worth missing the practice time to stand on principle, his answer was always the same. And it was astounding.

Literally verbatim.

“That was all my agent.”

That was my agent.”

“That was for my agent to decide.”

“I don’t know—that’s my agent. I trust them. That’s why I hired them and Mr. Pace.”

“That’s for my agent and Mr. Pace.”

“That’s all between my agent and Mr. Pace.”

No! No, it’s not! You’re the client!

There is no way that man who stood in front of the media today orchestrated that holdout—no way in hell.

I wondered during the holdout if he was standing on principle or whether he was an unwitting pawn. The answer is now clear.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m not a Roquan hater at all. I said during the holdout that if it was truly about principals for Roquan Smith, he should do what he feels is right.

I also said that if he was just a CAA pawn, that doesn’t bode well for his future as an intelligent football leader.

After listening to his availability today, wow. Just wow.

I hope he’s successful. I really do. But the answer is clear now.

The media didn’t even really try to trip him up or corner him. On softball questions on whether he had ANYTHING to do with the deal getting done yesterday or how involved he was in the process or what the holdout was about or even whether he felt it was worth missing the practice time to stand on principal, his answer was always the same. And it was astounding.

Literally verbatim.

“That was all my agent.”

That was my agent.”

“That was for my agent to decide.”

“I don’t know—that’s my agent. I trust them. That’s why I hired them and Mr. Pace.”

“That’s for my agent and Mr. Pace.”

“That’s all between my agent and Mr. Pace.”

No! No, it’s not! You’re the client!

There is no way that man who stood in front of the media today orchestrated that holdout—no way in hell.

I wondered during the holdout if he was standing on principal or whether he was an unwitting pawn. The answer is now clear.

Lol, seriously what did you expect him to say?

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Wish we never drafted this punk. Nice job Ryan "the idiot" Pace

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Lol, seriously what did you expect him to say?

When asked whether it was his idea to hold out and whether he was involved at all in the process, “That was all my agent” is probably not the best response.

He essentially admitted to being a pawn just because he “trusts” his agent.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think you should keep in mind that Roquan Smith is barely 21 and this is his first contract for his first real job.

I remember when I interviewed and handled offers for my first job out of college at 22.

I felt like I was way out of my depth, and I was, now that I look back on how things went and what I was paid.

Now I imagine an even younger man looking at his first contract in the NFL.... you would like to think he is an adult who is confident and involved in this process.

The truth is he probably felt out of his depth on the business side, and his agents probably made sure to cement him feeling that way so they could own those negotiations entirely.

I don't like the fact that he wasn't confident enough to participate in the contract discussions, but some people simply don't have confidence to handle certain aspects of life.

Ever met a person who was afraid to order something over the phone? Or call a customer service department?

Or a person who looks at any new technology and feels they can't handle it?

That doesn't mean those people are not intelligent and confident and talented in another area of life, such as football.... it just means they need to grow and mature more.

I think that's all this is for Roquan, he needs to learn and grow and mature from this experience.

WestsideResider

Bro idk
Liked Posts:
When asked whether it was his idea to hold out and whether he was involved at all in the process, “That was all my agent” is probably not the best response.

He essentially admitted to being a pawn just because he “trusts” his agent.
So what's the ideal answer you were looking for?

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think you should keep in mind that Roquan Smith is barely 21 and this is his first contract for his first real job.

I remember when I interviewed and handled offers for my first job out of college at 22.

I felt like I was way out of my depth, and I was, now that I look back on how things went and what I was paid.

Now I imagine an even younger man looking at his first contract in the NFL.... you would like to think he is an adult who is confident and involved in this process.

The truth is he probably felt out of his depth on the business side, and his agents probably made sure to cement him feeling that way so they could own those negotiations entirely.

I don't like the fact that he wasn't confident enough to participate in the contract discussions, but some people simply don't have confidence to handle certain aspects of life.

Ever met a person who was afraid to order something over the phone? Or call a customer service department?

Or a person who looks at any new technology and feels they can't handle it?

That doesn't mean those people are not intelligent and confident and talented in another area of life, such as football.... it just means they need to grow and mature more.

I think that's all this is for Roquan, he needs to learn and grow and mature from this experience.

Not to mention he probably didn't know what to make of this new helmet rule. He hired an agency to do a job so I don't know why anyone would take issue with Goquan using said agency for the reason he hired them.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
So what's the ideal answer you were looking for?

“We were dealing with some very sensitive issues that were important to me, but in the end, I’m glad we got it done.”

Or, if you think a 21-year-old is unable to form such thoughts:

“Yes, I was involved in the process.”

Or

“Yes, I was in contact with my agent throughout the process.”

Or, for the minimalist:

“Yes, it was important.”

Or, heck:

“Yes.”

Toast88

Liked Posts:
If you guys are cool with him hiring an agent and then just sitting back and doing nothing, that’s fine. That’d be his choice to make anyway for his life.

But then when someone points out such an approach makes him a pawn when he’s the second-longest holdout in history, don’t be offended at that suggestion.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If you guys are cool with him hiring an agent and then just sitting back and doing nothing, that’s fine. That’d be his choice to make anyway for his life.

But then when someone points out such an approach makes him a pawn when he’s the second-longest holdout in history, don’t be offended at that suggestion.

Doesn't offend me.... I think you're right.... he was a pawn in this.

But I don't find it surprising that a young man in his position might not feel confident wading into the waters of contract negotiations.

I've been doing my job for 6+ years now and I have been a Manager for 2 years and I still don't like being pulled into contract negotiations.... prefer to leave that to the lawyers as much as possible.

Do I want Roquan to be more intelligent/confident, yes.

Am I surprised he might be a pawn right now, no.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Again, I don't see the issue. He hired an agency which from my knowledge 100% of players do and let them handle this stuff. He just happened to pick not a great one from the Bears perspective.

benplace

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Roquan, are you excited to be a Chicago Bear?
"Umm, thats between my agent and Mr. Pace"
Roquan, do you think you can start week 1?
Roquan, Did you take a shit this morning?
Thanks Roquan, have a nice day.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Again, I don't see the issue. He hired an agency which from my knowledge 100% of players do and let them handle this stuff. He just happened to pick not a great one from the Bears perspective.

I think the point is you would like to see a player show enough confidence and ownership of the process that he could interject and put his foot down if his agent was being unreasonable.

Roquan basically admitted he was relied 100% on his agent and was not prepared to step in regardless of what his agent was asking for.

You would prefer to hear him say he left it to his agent, but he was aware of what what going on and could have stepped in if his agent was being unreasonable or if he changed his mind and wanted to compromise.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think the point is you would like to see a player show enough confidence and ownership of the process that he could interject and put his foot down if his agent was being unreasonable.

Roquan basically admitted he was relied 100% on his agent and was not prepared to step in regardless of what his agent was asking for.

You would prefer to hear him say he left it to his agent, but he was aware of what what going on and could have stepped in if his agent was being unreasonable or if he changed his mind and wanted to compromise.

Meh, whatever. I'm not gonna pin that on GoQuan. Like you stated before, like of experience and knowledge about the situation was probably the biggest factor of just letting CAA handle of of the issues.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Meh, whatever. I'm not gonna pin that on GoQuan. Like you stated before, like of experience and knowledge about the situation was probably the biggest factor of just letting CAA handle of of the issues.

As I said, it does not worry me in terms of him being a good football player.

But I would like to see him mature over the next 4 years.... when his next contract negotiation happens he would do well to be a bit more involved.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Reading a lot into this. I thought the Smith controversy was over. lol