At what point does Kevin White need to play specials?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Listening to the Hoge and Jahns podcast both reporters talked about how Kevin White has been descending in the last few weeks and appears at best to be the 4th WR, but it appears that Wims is moving on him quickly there.

At what point does Kevin White have to play special teams to have value to the roster?

If he is the 5th WR then traditionally he needs to be on special teams to really bring value for having a jersey on during games.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If he truly is the 4/5th WR then the answer is now. He's guaranteed 5.2M from the Bears this year, might as well make him earn it since he'll be taking up a roster spot.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I get the idea of the OP, but putting your most injury prone receiver on Special Teams sounds like a movie I already know the ending to.

Does it matter if he gets hurt?

Why bother bubble wrapping your 5th WR?

Hoge and Janhs both make it sound like he is slowly falling to 5th on the depth chart.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

Hoge and Janhs both make it sound like he is slowly falling to 5th on the depth chart.

I was pretty sure after the moves, plus the upgrade at receiver tight end, that he was 5th on the depth chart anyway.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I was pretty sure after the moves, plus the upgrade at receiver tight end, that he was 5th on the depth chart anyway.

He was running with the 1s. My guess is that is done with Robinson coming back.

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
He has been given every chance to earn a starting job and it hasn't happened. At this point just cut him. Who cares if his contract is guaranteed? If he can't help out on special teams and isn't producing at wide receiver then he has no value to the roster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He has been given every chance to earn a starting job and it hasn't happened. At this point just cut him. Who cares if his contract is guaranteed? If he can't help out on special teams and isn't producing at wide receiver then he has no value to the roster.

I also have no issue with cutting him. If it comes down to him/Bellamy, I honestly think I'd rather have Bellamy.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yeah...that is why I prefaced my post with my acknowledgement that I completely get where you are coming from and by all accounts he should be seeing time there.

It all just seems too little too late. Maybe once the season wears on and he just cannot find he way on to the field because everyone is a better option...if our ST coach even wants to waste his time on a kid that almost certainly will not be here in 2019.

Let us face it. When all you hear is stories about White "trying to regain confidence" nothing about that translates to "hey let these guys come after you full speed and you stop them". Maybe he finds his way into the mix at KR if Cohen is playing too many snaps on offense, but I would not get my hopes up too high.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think at this point perhaps he can turn into Cordarelle Patterson and offer some special teams value, but I doubt it.

Thank goodness Wims is flashing, if he can grab the 4th spot and the primary backup spot that would be nice. Size and ability to jump ball is a skill set you can use in sub packages.

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
I also have no issue with cutting him. If it comes down to him/Bellamy, I honestly think I'd rather have Bellamy.

I agree. Both Bellamy and Gentry offer more to the team than White in my opinion. They are not that far off from White as far a wr production and they both play special teams.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I agree. Both Bellamy and Gentry offer more to the team than White in my opinion. They are not that far off from White as far a wr production and they both play special teams.

Would anyone even give a conditional pick for him? The Browns traded Cory Coleman for a pick in 2020.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
seeing him in game action will give us a better understanding of where he is on the depth chart...

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I was cracking up when people were talking about the Bears great WR depth, and White is a legit#2. He doesn't have the skill or the experience to be a #2. He was drafted because he was a size/speed freak, not because of route running, getting separation, or catching. I haven't seen any indication that White has the talent to be an NFL receiver.

And the Bears are paper thin at WR again. Miller, Gabriel, Robinson and nothing, unless Wims is real, and he better be, just so they can line up 4 wide without using Cohen.

To answer the OP question, I don't care what they do with White.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think at this point perhaps he can turn into Cordarelle Patterson and offer some special teams value, but I doubt it.

If so much of his problems are in his head...KR could be a nightmare of him running in circles until he loses six yards on the play.

Two questions:

Is Kevin White more valuable as an available receiver that can at least spell Robinson and Taylor or an available body that can at least throw a couple of blocks sporadically throughout the game?

Which is he more of liability at?

benplace

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If he doesn't suddenly improve, move him to the practice squad...

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Never during this season. He'll either succeed or he won't. But it won't be via Special Teams. He'll never play ST on the Bears... When he signs for the Vet minimum elswhere, perhaps they'll try him at it.

Sid.Luckman

Drunk
Donator
Liked Posts:

Oh, that would be a dilemma for me because I really dislike Bellamy. He is a decent return man but a horrible receiver with an ego that far outweighs his talent level. That said, at least he is not Mr. Glass. White has a good attitude and seems to be getting his speed back and he can... ummmmmm...... hmmmm... Damn, guess I would have to go with Bellamy too. Damn Kevin, just damn!