IST: Reds vs Cubs

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I think Contreras is a bit overrated as a player, but underrated as a team leader. It's obvious he wants to be that guy and that Maddon is fostering it. Contreras will be our catcher for the next 10 years, like it or not

I like it.

I want him to be - but he absolutely must improve his weaknesses.

And the fact Joe says positive things about his framing and makes excuses means nothing. Joe does that for everyone. He wants to build confidence, and that's fine. But it's downright silly to take it as objective.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I like it.

I want him to be - but he absolutely must improve his weaknesses.

And the fact Joe says positive things about his framing and makes excuses means nothing. Joe does that for everyone. He wants to build confidence, and that's fine. But it's downright silly to take it as objective.
You're arguing about possibly 3 pitches a game. 3 pitches. That's how silly your prolonged argument about pitch framing is, regardless of your dismissal of his own WS winning manager's comments.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Looks like monty is back this week and Maddon gonna go with 6 starters for at least 1 trip through the rotation...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Wasn't Homer Bailey a promising player? WTF happened to him?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Bryant better hurry back, before the boat wally pips him...lol

Have to think Bryant going to get some starts in the OF to get Bote his playing time at 3B

Right now it looks like Russell losing his PT to Murphy..

Once Bryant returns, Schwarber Almora and Happ will probably lose PT to get Bote and Zobrist in there.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I saw Contreras as a dark horse MVP candidate to open the season, so understand I don't hate the guy.

When he went on his 8 day torrid streak in july, I saw what an offensive weapon he can be. But it died as quickly as it started.

He is a good baserunner when using his head. But he is also prone to some real dumb moves when being overaggressive. He, like Rizzo, sometimes makes real dumb decisions.

It is unfair of me to say he is "killing us" overall. And I am comparing that to what I believe he is capable of, rather than just the average catcher around the league. So I will admit that is overly critical.

But he kills a lot of innings offensively. I know we say he has skills, but he has underperformed this season. He has shown little power, and has contributed far less than he is capable of offensively. I keep waiting for him to bust out, as I know he is capable of carrying the team. I do believe he has those skills. They just are not on display as they could be.

But it's far more idiotic to believe that his overall package defensively - when the critical framing is such a large part of that - is one of the best in baseball. Considering slowing a running game in today's game - where nobody runs much - as important as the framing, is far more unrealistic.

There have been 25 C with 250+ PA, among them Willson ranks

5th in runs above average (3.6) offensively
2nd in runs above average (10.3) defensively
4th in total (13.9)

I understand you want to complain about ONE single aspect of his game but he's one of the most well-rounded catchers in baseball.

EDIT It's also a little unfair to criticize Contreras and complain about lower slugging, etc and not comment on his ability to be a regular catcher. There are not many who can do that as much as he does.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Is Schwarber basically a guy who gets 400+ AB hits for low average but will walk a bunch and hit a HR every 15 to 20 ABs...

Not quite what we all expected

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Is Schwarber basically a guy who gets 400+ AB hits for low average but will walk a bunch and hit a HR every 15 to 20 ABs...

Not quite what we all expected

Maybe if he lost a few lbs?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
My guess Schwarber and Russell are over 50% gone in offseason..

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I'm actually fine with the idea of signing Murphy. What is he 4 years younger than Zobrist. Not a reach honestly and it really opens up Baez at starting SS. Bote came up a SS and makes a solid UI playing the IF.

I guess it really depends on what they want in a return. I'm guessing that they will roll out Hamels, Lester, Hendricks, Quintana and Darvish next year. They really don't need anything other than a high end arm that can replace Hamels in 2020.

So Ya and no that they deal.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'm actually fine with the idea of signing Murphy. What is he 4 years younger than Zobrist. Not a reach honestly and it really opens up Baez at starting SS. Bote came up a SS and makes a solid UI playing the IF.

I guess it really depends on what they want in a return. I'm guessing that they will roll out Hamels, Lester, Hendricks, Quintana and Darvish next year. They really don't need anything other than a high end arm that can replace Hamels in 2020.

So Ya and no that they deal.
Schwarber and Russell dont necessarily need to net them major league players for 2019...
They could get them near ready prospects for 2020

Daniel Murphy will be 34 next season, sure yea if there no better option, try to sign him to a 2 yr deal..

Until their both signed, im still in the camp of Machado and or Harper...

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Schwarber and Russell dont necessarily need to net them major league players for 2019...
They could get them near ready prospects for 2020

Daniel Murphy will be 34 next season, sure yea if there no better option, try to sign him to a 2 yr deal..

Until their both signed, im still in the camp of Machado and or Harper...

I'm pretty sure that Harper will end up one of the hugest mistakes ever made. He had the monster 9 WAR year and never broke 5 WAR again. While Bryant ha broken 6 WAR every year except this injury laced one. For a corner OF that is beyond stupid to over pay.

Machado I'm more inclined because he has broken 5 WAR 4 of his 6+ seasons. I question him as a SS full time though.

But over all I just don't see the bang for the buck. You really lose at D with Manny. Baez is better than him there. So in reality Manny has the edge with BB rates but loses with the glove. Rest are a wash.

But signing Murphy to a 2 year deal adds a proven bat at the top and we are seeing that impact right now. Just keeping his bat off of our competition is worth that. Then you have Bote who can play late inning D at 2B.

Now I'm not saying to not trade Russell. I'm ok with it if...well lets say they take Q and Russell and Happ and trade to the Mets for DeGrom's 2 years of control. Add to it it sells off Russell's step pay increase.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

You've said it 100 times but it still is a stupid move to trade Russell.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
You've said it 100 times but it still is a stupid move to trade Russell.
Why? outside of him being able to play a good defensive SS, what does he bring to the table ?

Guys like Schwarber and Russell are replaceable on this team and can be used to bring in much needed prospects to continue the winning ways..

Contreras Rizzo Baez and Bryant are the only untouchable young core pieces on this team right now...