Offseason rumors/discussion thread

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Not saying they won't have the payroll space, but Philly will have about 7 8 figure salaries on the payroll for 2021 just with guys they have now. If Arrietta uses his option, there's 20M at least, 20M for McCutchcen, 14.85M for Segura, 12.25M for Nola, and 10.35M for Herrera. Their 3B will be in his final Arby year and is getting 5.2M now. Then do they try to re-sign Realmuto, because that will be 8 figures too? Without Realmuto, that's about 85M just in those 6 players. They sign one of the 2 big one this year, and that's most likely another 25M.

The Cubs are likely to have that many themselves for fairness.

I cant believe there wont be a huge up front payment to either of these guys to save some face. I can see all the beat writers now, "They held out til February for 25 million?"

That was the master plan with the cubs though, have at least 6 of this core making solid money, we just hope its a little less because they want to stay. But the only guy that would take less is probably Rizzo and he is doing the most good with the dollars. So if he agrees to a 200 million deal its because the cubs are gonna put a wing on a hospital somewhere.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Rumor is Philly has a offer that is over Nat's 10/300 for Harper.

Manny has a 8/250 offer from SDP.

I see as the likely destinations as of today.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
SportsCenter

Verified account

@SportsCenter
2m2 minutes ago
More
Breaking: Manny Machado has agreed to a 10-year, $300 million deal with the Padres, league sources tell @JeffPassan.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
SportsCenter

Verified account

@SportsCenter
2m2 minutes ago
More
Breaking: Manny Machado has agreed to a 10-year, $300 million deal with the Padres, league sources tell @JeffPassan.

Not sure who pitches for them. But glad my White Sox did not get him

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Most of their farm system consists of talented arms and Tatis the coincidentally got from the sox. Paddack and Gore are their two best guys but Anderson Espinoza(kimbrel trade), Adrian Morejon(big time IFA few years back) and Luis Patino are well thought of names.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Harper is next..

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Most of their farm system consists of talented arms and Tatis the coincidentally got from the sox. Paddack and Gore are their two best guys but Anderson Espinoza(kimbrel trade), Adrian Morejon(big time IFA few years back) and Luis Patino are well thought of names.

that's the issue. I am sure Machado is glad he got the five year opt out. That pitching fails (which takes a lot longer to groom usually) he can go

CSF77

Liked Posts:
that's the issue. I am sure Machado is glad he got the five year opt out. That pitching fails (which takes a lot longer to groom usually) he can go

I'm not concerned about that. The Pads have a long history of self developed SP and targeting gems in trade. Add to it they have a glut in the OF. Wouldn't be shocked on a trade this seadon

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Why? Sox have low salary total snd tons of young prospects. They were in exactly the position to sign him.

Very bad look to a) lose him, b) say you thought you were highest bidder and c) say you couldn’t go to what he got (which was lower avg annually than you offered).

In ten years, a $30 annual salary will be a steal.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Jesse Rogers

@ESPNChiCubs
Yu Darvish said he was sitting 92-94 mph during live BP today. Everything felt good. One test passed

for reference his typical in season average is 94 so the fact he's basically already there at this point of the spring is a good sign.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
With the Machado deal setting the Harper market, if the Phillies sign Harper, you have to figure his deal will be slight bigger so his 2021 number would be at least 30M. To tie back to the Trout discussion, if serve holds and the Phllies also sign Harper to the expected deal, They'd have 7 guys with 8 figure deals already on the books totaling about 115M. Philly has spent in the past so you'd have to guess what their budget would be for the next few years. Still, you'd have to guess those 8 would be at least half of it. Put Trout's # at 35M and they'd have, theoretically, 80M to cover the remaining 16 guys. Doable, but it could get tight.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Jesse Rogers

@ESPNChiCubs
Yu Darvish said he was sitting 92-94 mph during live BP today. Everything felt good. One test passed

for reference his typical in season average is 94 so the fact he's basically already there at this point of the spring is a good sign.

He has already been throwing for two months. Makes you wonder about running out of steam late in the year when he is needed most.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

So why not put the pressure on the organization and only take the 5 year deal where he could have played just about anywhere.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
So why not put the pressure on the organization and only take the 5 year deal where he could have played just about anywhere.

For the simple reason of if he pulls a "Heyward" and he now has 150 or more dollars still coming to him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Things are getting interesting now.

Sox out on Harper.

SFG don't think that they can go 300Mil

Philly would have to offer over Stanton for him to sign.

Shit is silly.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
SFG can still offer Cueto for Chatwood and Heyward. Toss in a pitching in prospect. Steele IMO would be a nice get with them losing Madbum. What is left on Heyward's deal fits into their budget and his D in that park actually pays off more than anywhere else in baseball.

Harper would be hitting into and Fielding Grand canyon. It lessens the impact