Offseason rumors/discussion thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
McCutcheon is absolutely the last thing this team needs.

Aging player on downward path who is so-so offensively and poor defensively. What is there to like?

I agree. I think Dirks just tossed out a cheaper fix and RF was a natural spot to UPG.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Trade for Merrifield and sign Harper, that my big move prediction for the Cubs

Also keeping an eye on Hickey, starting to look like him returning or not could determine Maddon status for 2019
In My Opinion

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Also keeping an eye on Hickey, starting to look like him returning or not could determine Maddon status for 2019
In My Opinion

Weird trade idea:

Choo 21M/21M For Chatwood 12.5/13 Kintzler 5/ Duesing 3.5 year 1 wash. Year 2 they get cash relief. Cubs get RF with OBA skills.

Feels kinda lopsided but never know if those 3 bounce back.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Weird trade idea:

Choo 21M/21M For Chatwood 12.5/13 Kintzler 5/ Duesing 3.5 year 1 wash. Year 2 they get cash relief. Cubs get RF with OBA skills.

Feels kinda lopsided but never know if those 3 bounce back.
They dont need a 36 yo RFer

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
They dont need a 36 yo RFer

Not only that but he can't play RF. If you're going to do something like that you'd be far better talking to the cards about Fowler. If they are actually going after Harper they REALLY need to move Fowler because even if they don't go after Harper they probably should move him.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

In My Opinion

Not sure what the Cubs would trade to get Merrifield

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not only that but he can't play RF. If you're going to do something like that you'd be far better talking to the cards about Fowler. If they are actually going after Harper they REALLY need to move Fowler because even if they don't go after Harper they probably should move him.

I don’t disagree here.

Choo is listed DH/RF. I was looking at contract move and OBA need vs D honestly. The numbers match and opens up spots in the pen. I think that has value in itself.

Fowler is depressed value so the question is he a change guy or has he lost it?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I don’t disagree here.

Choo is listed DH/RF. I was looking at contract move and OBA need vs D honestly. The numbers match and opens up spots in the pen. I think that has value in itself.

Fowler is depressed value so the question is he a change guy or has he lost it?
Thing is if their not upgrading with a guy like Harper or similar, they might as well stay as is in the corners with Schwarber Heyward Zobrist

Me, i would go extreme in the OF
Id trade Schwarber and Heyward and put Bryant in LF and sign Harper for RF. Then they can play Almora in CF with the plus glove and not worry so much about his bat, he does what he does there...

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Russell Happ Schwarber Monty
Chatwood (if their looking to tank/flip)
Low end Pitching prospect

It would never work.

It would cost Soto and Nico to start. They might try to squeeze Alozay. But they wouldn’t take on our pay roll issues.

Cubs have 3 choices with any of Chatwood, Duesing or Kintzler.

1. Play. They could get value built up or they rebound and became viable again.
2. Trade for another bad contract. No cash relief. Just a better fit.
3. Dump and replace with a farm piece. Like Alozay is healthy and you ass can Kintzler

Now they most likely will semi screw them selves and Dump Kintler’s 5 and invest 5 into Chavez. So this is a inefficient method and that is why you would want a bad contract flip preferably

chibears55

Liked Posts:
He is coming to Chicago. Just not your preferred local. It’s ok he will get to see his Bulls games from the owners box now.
Highly doubt he wants to play on a rebuilding team now or the Sox would actually pay him 30+ mil per just to win a few more games during rebuild years

He might as well stay with the Nats

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Highly doubt he wants to play on a rebuilding team now or the Sox would actually pay him 30+ mil per just to win a few more games during rebuild years

Nats offed 300M. They went down that road.

The reality is Boras is selling his as til 40 and as a franchise changing player. Sox and SDP are prime venues for him.

Sorry this is about pay day

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

Right, but AL gives him days off and extends his career by dh'ing for 30-40 games. I would not put it past the sox, one team in the division over .500 the team that got over .500 got there by beating the division teams and lets him play in Chicago.

I would not put it past them, its not like they shied away from big names before and the stamp on these rebuilding teams is get the free agent in and speed up the process.

I wont be upset, but unless the cubs move Zo and Heyward, he is not coming here.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

The reality is Boras is selling his as til 40 and as a franchise changing player. Sox and SDP are prime venues for him.

I kind of see the Nats put out a number to start negotiations. That is usually how it starts. I doubt its like the Stan Bowman offers of take it or leave it. Someone had to start, who knows if Harper said he will give them the last shot when he gets the best deal?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Thing is if Heyward and Almora would have sustained their pre ASG then this would be moot. Jed is doing nothing IMO with the OF.

I expect a run at Miller due to his off year and his ticket will be less than Britton.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

That my point

If he wasn't willing to take 30 per from the Nats , a team that built to succeed now

He not taking it from the whitesox nor are the sox going to offer more then that

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Right, but AL gives him days off and extends his career by dh'ing for 30-40 games. I would not put it past the sox, one team in the division over .500 the team that got over .500 got there by beating the division teams and lets him play in Chicago.

I would not put it past them, its not like they shied away from big names before and the stamp on these rebuilding teams is get the free agent in and speed up the process.

I wont be upset, but unless the cubs move Zo and Heyward, he is not coming here.
More better AL teams then the sox to offer that to him..

I think Angels will make a play for him

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That my point

If he wasn't willing to take 30 per from the Nats , a team that built to succeed now

He not taking it from the whitesox nor are the sox going to offer more then that

This is a lazy opinion.

Boras is looking at payroll capacity and farm talent. That is it. 14 years buys time.

Unless NYY or BOSOX are in play contenders are not looking at 30-35M on 1 guy. To be a contender they have invested already and can’t budget it.

So the market is as above. Get out of your box. He has no pending urgency to win now. He has luxury if age and a long term. So when the cheap assets come in to support him. A guy like him wants a legit closer and a ace that soak pay roll. But every thing else more self developed with a farm that can keep costs down.

That is my target. So a team like Oakland that has a history of self development with out the payroll road block.

Sox are the type of team to target honestly