CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
College football has proven time and time that it's more about coaching than recruits. Plenty of two or three star recruits go on to be NFL stars. Plenty of college teams have turned it around fast with good coaching. So i don't really buy the whole he needs time to get his program in place thing. He needs to coach better.

I think the key here is sustainability. Yes, obviously coaching is a major factor in success of a college football program, but if you don't have the horses you can't sustain that success. Case in point, how many New Year's Day bowl games has NIU made since they played Florida State?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
College football has proven time and time that it's more about coaching than recruits. Plenty of two or three star recruits go on to be NFL stars. Plenty of college teams have turned it around fast with good coaching. So i don't really buy the whole he needs time to get his program in place thing. He needs to coach better.

That's completely false. Numerous studies and research have been done that show an amazing high correlation between 4 and 5 star recruits and Top NFL draft picks/talent.

CFB is all about recruits and who can get them where.

https://247sports.com/Article/NFL-Draft-recruiting-rankings-go-hand-in-hand--117819292/

https://247sports.com/Article/Why-college-football-recruiting-rankings-matter-114611388/

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
All these guys wanted the Bears job? or you wanted them? DeCosta is the Ravens future GM and turned down many chances to be a GM.

Yeah. I remember personally emailing them back in 2014, saying "Hi, you might not know me, but I'm a pretty big deal on ChiCitySports. Would you be interested in the Bears GM job?". They all responded with a resounding "yes".

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

Power 5 programs get turned around without recruits?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think the key here is sustainability. Yes, obviously coaching is a major factor in success of a college football program, but if you don't have the horses you can't sustain that success. Case in point, how many New Year's Day bowl games has NIU made since they played Florida State?

I don't disagree.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
yeah. I remember personally emailing them back in 2014, saying "hi, you might not know me, but i'm a pretty big deal on chicitysports. Would you be interested in the bears gm job?". They all responded with a resounding "yes".

lol.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am not comparing Lovie to Pace. I am comparing fans reactions to the "rebuilds" on both those teams.

And it is an apples vs rocks comparison. Find a college team with a similar profile.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would say he is a better coach than Lovie who had unusual success at Maryland. Unusual in that he had better seasons with his predecessors recruits than his own.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
^ And you insinuate that im a drama queen. No one is saying that dummy, but once you start getting your players you should start winning games.
False. Illinois is the youngest team in the nation. It's hard to win against upperclassmen. Fr/So can't matchup strengthwise with mature teams. They had PSU down in the third Qtr and you're talking shit about Illinois and Lovie Smith? Dumb. This year was about progress. Next year is where the rubber meets the road.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Big Ten losing streak is over! 1 more win and they've beaten the Vegas over/under. This team should be competitive in a lot of the remaining games.