Will someone better than Long take his job this year?

Is this the year the Long gets benched for someone better?

• Yes, any week now

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I'd love to take you up on a bet, if you have any ideas.

Long and Sims are the most surefire cuts this off-season. The enormous contract the Bears gave Mack solidified that.
Longs contract is top 6-10 each year, right about where he plays or better when healthy, add to that that he is a drafted Bear with good locker room presence. He is safe at least until after 2020. Sims is a guy you won't remember was a Bear 5 yrs from now. Huge difference.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Not sure why the hate on Long. He's always been overrated but we could do much worse. There are a lot of bad Guards playing on Sundays. That said, I could see him cut in the offseason if the Bears want to find a way to extend Callahan and Amos.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I'd love to take you up on a bet, if you have any ideas.

Long and Sims are the most surefire cuts this off-season. The enormous contract the Bears gave Mack solidified that.

Long, only because of his pay. But considering you have to replace him with just as good or better I'm not sure you'd come out enough ahead to pay for Mack. You pay for Mack by cutting big money not nickles and dimes. You could provide the same nickles and dimes by reworking Long's contract.

I agree the oline was bad through the first 3 games. They were much better in game 4.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Longs contract is top 6-10 each year, right about where he plays or better when healthy, add to that that he is a drafted Bear with good lockerroom presence. He is safe at least until after 2020.
Long hasn't played like a top 10 guard since 2015. They extended his contract and he's been injured/bad ever since.

He's like a less insulting Jay Cutler of o-linemen.

His time is up.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Long hasn't played like a top 10 guard since 2015. They extended his contract and he's been injured/bad ever since.

He's like a less insulting Jay Cutler of o-linemen.

His time is up.

Haven't you #calledit on Long's crummy play and bad attitude for literally years?

Looks like you're right!

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Long, only because of his pay. But considering you have to replace him with just as good or better I'm not sure you'd come out enough ahead to pay for Mack. You pay for Mack by cutting big money not nickles and dimes. You could provide the same nickles and dimes by reworking Long's contract.

I agree the oline was bad through the first 3 games. They were much better in game 4.
Cutting Long and Sims this off-season will lead to 13m cap free'd in 2019. That's a huge amount, hardly nickles and dimes.

Side note: can anyone honestly believe that Sims is the 17th highest paid TE? Wtf is that shit..

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
You cut Long and save $5.5M, which gets you Patrick Omameh in todays salary climate. Can't think of a much worse idea.

Reactions: Myk

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Cutting Long and Sims this off-season will lead to 13m cap free'd in 2019. That's a huge amount, hardly nickles and dimes.

Side note: can anyone honestly believe that Sims is the 17th highest paid TE? Wtf is that shit..

Cutting Long saves 5.5 and Sims saves 6. Per OTC.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You cut Long and save $5.5M, which gets you Patrick Omameh in todays salary climate. Can't think of a much worse idea.

Yeah, the cap savings is not huge. Goes up significantly in 2020 and 2021 when I think Novak's wet dream is fufilled.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Yeah, the cap savings is not huge. Goes up significantly in 2020 and 2021 when I think Novak's wet dream is fufilled.
Or he restructures with a pay cut and Novak hangs himself with a Long jersey.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
5.5m will get you the entirety of a rookie contract, and that's spread over 4 years.

Why is this board so against letting bad, always injured, overpaid players go? I think you guys get way too sentimentally attached.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
5.5m will get you the entirety of a rookie contract, and that's spread over 4 years.

Why is this board so against letting bad, always injured, overpaid players go? I think you guys get way too sentimentally attached.

I don't think he's anywhere near as bad as you do. He's slightly over payed but not prohibitively so next year. I don't think he plays out his contract.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Who is the bad overpaid player you speak of? You have a view of Long based on something other than his game play when healthy, maybe he blocked you on Twitter or made fun of your gaming acumen on Twitch, but it is incorrect. He is a above average to very good G, even after all his injuries right now. Healthy Kyle Long in no way gets cut this next offseason, and most likely not next. Sorry to spring that on you.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Who is the bad overpaid player you speak of? You have a view of Long based on something other than his game play when healthy, maybe he blocked you on Twitter or made fun of your gaming acumen on Twitch, but it is incorrect. He is a above average to very good G, even after all his injuries right now. Healthy Kyle Long in no way gets cut this next offseason, and most likely not next. Sorry to spring that on you.
Dude just had about 96 surgeries. He's as "healthy" as he'll ever be, and newsflash, he's been well below average this season.

He's accounting for the 4th highest cap hit on the bears this season. That's laughable.

Can you say "fleeced"?

Nelly

Liked Posts:
There's no way he's cut this year unless he gets hurt again. It's create $2m in dead space and create a hole that needs to be filled. He may not be as he used to be but he's not worth cutting entirely. And if you're going to give other guys some slack to get used to the new offense then why would he be any different?