Thoughts on Cameron Meredith

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Robinson has Mitch throwing to him, who is Cam's QB again?

Eh, Robinson is doing fine, aside from his recent injury. This is an offense that really spreads the ball around and gets everyone involved.

He is the highest paid receiver on the team is currently sits behind Gabriel, Cohen, and Burton in terms of yards. So sure the ball is getting spread around but you would still expect more production from your suppose No 1 WR. Let's not kid ourselves, he is under performing.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Could be worse. Could have paid Allen Robinson. Oh wait!

6 games, 25 receptions, 285 yards, 2 TDs, 25 million guaranteed

6 games, 9 receptions, 114 yards, 1 TDs, 5.4 million guaranteed
I still think Pace made the right move. AR has been dealing with what should be temporary health issues. But you knew that.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I still think Pace made the right move. AR has been dealing with what should be temporary health issues. But you knew that.

It is entirely possible that AR is simply no longer a top WR as the last time he was healthy he didn't crack 1,000 yards. And if it is just down to temporary health issues then the same logic would apply to Meredith who suffered a worse injury.

Just seems we want to quickly declare Pace was right on Meredith but then say we need to give ARob more time.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
He is the highest paid receiver on the team is currently sits behind Gabriel, Cohen, and Burton in terms of yards. So sure the ball is getting spread around but you would still expect more production from your suppose No 1 WR. Let's not kid ourselves, he is under performing.

Yes, but implying Cam Meredith would be the better choice, or have similar/better stats is absolutely foolish. I know you like to argue for the sake of argument, but you can do better than this.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yes, but implying Cam Meredith would be the better choice, or have similar/better stats is absolutely foolish. I know you like to argue for the sake of argument, but you can do better than this.

That wasn't what I was implying at all. I was suggesting that neither was worth the investment at this point. Hence why I referenced their guaranteed money. 25million guaranteed for 285 yards and 2 TDs is not a good investment. Neither is 5.4 million for 114 yards and 1 TD.

If we judging based on results, they both have been pretty bad. If we basing it on the information we had at the time the decision was made then they both were decent gambles for the money involved.

What is odd is to judge Meredith on his results while simultaneously refusing to do so for ARob. It is the inconsistency here that I question.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It is entirely possible that AR is simply no longer a top WR as the last time he was healthy he didn't crack 1,000 yards. And if it is just down to temporary health issues then the same logic would apply to Meredith who suffered a worse injury.

Just seems we want to quickly declare Pace was right on Meredith but then say we need to give ARob more time.

The difference is that when both are healthy Robinson is big part of the game plan and Meredith is not.

Both have played 6 games

Robinson: 43 targets, 25 receptions

Meredith: 10 targets, 9 receptions

Robinson is part of the offense, Meredith is averaging 1.6 targets per game and is barely playing. He is essentially their Kevin White.

The Bears are paying 14 million for a guy to under perform.

The Saints are paying 5 million for a guy to not even set foot on the field.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
That wasn't what I was implying at all. I was suggesting that neither was worth the investment at this point. Hence why I referenced their guaranteed money. 25million guaranteed for 285 yards and 2 TDs is not a good investment. Neither is 5.4 million for 114 yards and 1 TD.

If we judging based on results, they both have been pretty bad. If we basing it on the information we had at the time the decision was made then they both were decent gambles for the money involved.

What is odd is to judge Meredith on his results while simultaneously refusing to do so for ARob. It is the inconsistency here that I question.

I don't entirely disagree that ARob is underperforming but he does have 3 times as many receptions as Cam, so he's at least getting open. Unfortunately we don't have a guy that can deliver a deep ball accurately so they're all short completions. The offensive scheme isn't really designed for a thousand yard WR either, as another poster mentioned.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Robinson if healthy projects to having a decent season, albeit not worth 14/season.

Meredith if healthy projects to having almost no impact.

The Bears needed someone who could play, even if not up to his contract, they did not need someone to stand on the sideline. Meredith would have been a far bigger disaster for the Bears than someone who will end up around 70, 800, 6.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Robinson was signed for the end of this year of we get to the playoffs but probably more with next year in mind. Get them when you can.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I’m sorry Meredith fan boys.....

giphy.gif

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Robinson, coming off injury, wasn't hired with the expectation that the first half season would be his high point.

Nothing wrong about that.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The difference is that when both are healthy Robinson is big part of the game plan and Meredith is not.

Both have played 6 games

Robinson: 43 targets, 25 receptions

Meredith: 10 targets, 9 receptions

Robinson is part of the offense, Meredith is averaging 1.6 targets per game and is barely playing. He is essentially their Kevin White.

The Bears are paying 14 million for a guy to under perform.

The Saints are paying 5 million for a guy to not even set foot on the field.

Yeah again, I said they have been been pretty bad for the money invested. ARob would project to under 800 yards over 16 games at 25 million guaranteed. That is simply not good enough for the money invested.

I don't entirely disagree that ARob is underperforming but he does have 3 times as many receptions as Cam, so he's at least getting open. Unfortunately we don't have a guy that can deliver a deep ball accurately so they're all short completions. The offensive scheme isn't really designed for a thousand yard WR either, as another poster mentioned.

3 times as many receptions at 5 times the guaranteed money.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It must be easy to be an armchair GM.

The more you pay a guy, the more he produces.

And from Day One - you don't even have to wait to have him produce over the course of the contract. They automatically can have great games from Day One.

And let's not consider that putting multiple good players on the field helps everyone's stats. Highest paid gets the most targets, most catches, yards, TDs, etc. - but don't be predictable in your offense while making sure this happens.

As fans, apparently we must judge every deal long before it is fair to do so.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Robinson if healthy projects to having a decent season, albeit not worth 14/season.

Meredith if healthy projects to having almost no impact.

The Bears needed someone who could play, even if not up to his contract, they did not need someone to stand on the sideline. Meredith would have been a far bigger disaster for the Bears than someone who will end up around 70, 800, 6.

This presumes that Meredith would have the same usage here as he has with the Saints which is questionable. Different offenses. Saints presumably signed him to be a big slot WR. Bears would use him likely on the outside.

Although I would say neither is likely the best fit for Nagy's offense when you compare them to what KC has. Something I recall you agreeing to in the offseason. Frankly I think at this stage Gabriel and Wilson would have been the better play notwithstanding Wilson tearing his ACL. But I suppose we will see how ARob performs the rest of the season.

Robinson, coming off injury, wasn't hired with the expectation that the first half season would be his high point.

Nothing wrong about that.

Sure but it is quite possible that his projection of 800 yards is the kind of WR he actually is as again that is consistent with what he amassed in his last healthy season. Maybe he proves me wrong and blows up the 2nd half but I think it is quite possible he is no longer an great or elite WR as his 1,400 yard season suggested.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It must be easy to be an armchair GM.

The more you pay a guy, the more he produces.

And from Day One - you don't even have to wait to have him produce over the course of the contract. They automatically can have great games from Day One.

And let's not consider that putting multiple good players on the field helps everyone's stats. Highest paid gets the most targets, most catches, yards, TDs, etc. - but don't be predictable in your offense while making sure this happens.

As fans, apparently we must judge every deal long before it is fair to do so.

Perhaps you should read the below and tell me what you think it means.

I clearly said that if we judge based on the information we had at the time that both were decent gambles for the money involved. This may be a novel thought but I can acknowledge that it was a good move at the time to sign ARob and Meredith while noting that in hindsight they have both underperformed their contracts.

The only reason I brought it up is because the OP is obviously attempting to make a hindsight argument so I simply pointed out that in hindsight Meredith and ARob both have not worked out. Gabriel and Burton most certainly have.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Remy, you lost dude. Cam suffered from big fish, small pond syndrome. We had trash at WR and he played better than the rest. Now he moved on and doesnt even get opportunities because everyone else is better.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Remy, you lost dude. Cam suffered from big fish, small pond syndrome. We had trash at WR and he played better than the rest. Now he moved on and doesnt even get opportunities because everyone else is better.

I am not sure what I lost. I already conceded that based on results he has been terrible. I simply pointed out that so has ARob so let's be fair in evaluation.

In the end, I think both were good gambles that haven't worked out thus far so not sure what I lose by saying so. What I find odd is looking at Cam's lack of results and retroactively arguing Pace was right for not signing him while simultaneously ignoring the fact that ARob has a lack of results when compared to his contract.

So how are we trying to measure these decisions? At the time or in hindsight and whichever we chose let's apply it to both as that is only fair.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it is premature to to assess Allen Robinson's (or Cameron Meredith, for that matter) play. Robinson is definitely still recovering from his knee injury.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I am not sure what I lost. I already conceded that based on results he has been terrible. I simply pointed out that so has ARob so let's be fair in evaluation.

In the end, I think both were good gambles that haven't worked out thus far so not sure what I lose by saying so. What I find odd is looking at Cam's lack of results and retroactively arguing Pace was right for not signing him while simultaneously ignoring the fact that ARob has a lack of results when compared to his contract.

So how are we trying to measure these decisions? At the time or in hindsight and whichever we chose let's apply it to both as that is only fair.

Im not really surprised with lack of stats from Robinson as his QB cant consistently get him the ball even while wide open. Meanehile Meredith has a hall of fame QB who targets anyone who is open and now the saints are adding a WR who hasnt been on a NFL field in months

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think it is premature to to assess Allen Robinson's (or Cameron Meredith, for that matter) play. Robinson is definitely still recovering from his knee injury.

I think both have been disappointing to date but if you wish to hold off on both that is more than fair.

Im not really surprised with lack of stats from Robinson as his QB cant consistently get him the ball even while wide open. Meanehile Meredith has a hall of fame QB who targets anyone who is open and now the saints are adding a WR who hasnt been on a NFL field in months

Gabriel and Burton not having trouble getting the ball. As for Meredith, can't get the ball if the coach doesn't put you on the field. I don't follow the Saints so don't know all the specifics but Meredith has caught 90% of targets. In fact given the number of targets Robinson has compared to Cam, you would expect 4 times the production. He is nowhere close to that.