Roquan/Leighton

oping00@gmail.com

Liked Posts:
I'm very satisfied the Bears took Roquan at #8. Very good LB already and going to get better. But, there are two holes in his game that needs to get better - pass coverage and open field tackling where he can get juked and miss the tackle. Both of those things are correctable and He will get better.

When the draft is always a crap shoot roquan was a very safe pick, team captain of the Bulldogs D and no off the field issues. I'm satisfied with him at #8 also.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
This just isnt true. Urlacher didnt flash immediately his rookie year other than with his speed. If you remember they put him at Sam backer to start and he hard a very hard time holding the edge and was getting blown up by lineman. He was on fact benched in favor of Colvin and made the move to the Mike position when Barry Minter got hurt. Once moved to Mike behind Traylor and Washington he could shine from sideline to sideline. I think Roquan Smith has played very well to date and elevates his game each week as he becomes more acclimated with the defense and speed of the NFL game. The dude is gonna be a baller, but I think the holdout stunted his growth. He is definitely flashing if you watch him.
Traylor and Washington were signed in his second year. He definitely flashed his rookie season, but that was on a much worse defense

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
Smith is a rookie who missed training camp. Need more time to decide.

SiDe WaYs

Liked Posts:
Just watch Roquan. He’ll be part of the Bears mt Rushmore for LBs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
It's hilarious that people here are already determining what the peak of Smith's career will be after just 9 games in the league. Never mind that he missed training camp and preseason. If you look at his stats before and after the bye, his tackling shows a marked improvement. This guy is nowhere near the peak of his career. Wait til he figures out the defense and can start flying to the ball without having to think. Wait til he gets used to opponents' tendencies and can anticipate play calls and player habits. The guy probably doesn't even know the entire playbook yet.

CCS can be really frustrating. You guys want every young player to come in and be probowlers right away. SMH. Can we at least give our players a couple of years to develop? No great player ever drafted played at the peak of his career during his rookie season. None.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
It's hilarious that people here are already determining what the peak of Smith's career will be after just 9 games in the league. Never mind that he missed training camp and preseason. If you look at his stats before and after the bye, his tackling shows a marked improvement. This guy is nowhere near the peak of his career. Wait til he figures out the defense and can start flying to the ball without having to think. Wait til he gets used to opponents' tendencies and can anticipate play calls and player habits. The guy probably doesn't even know the entire playbook yet.

CCS can be really frustrating. You guys want every young player to come in and be probowlers right away. SMH. Can we at least give our players a couple of years to develop? No great player ever drafted played at the peak of his career during his rookie season. None.

Exactly

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I feel like Roquan is going to be crazy good. He's our next special Chicago Linebacker imo.

I feel like the last few games, I've really noticed him flying around. Although, maybe it's because I wasn't watching Mack on every down, I was watching Roquan and Trevathan.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
I’m really looking forward to Roquan in the next Green Bay game. To me, he has the perfect skill set to be a part of what it takes to beat Rodgers.
Rodgers is deadly when he gets a pocket to step up into while surveying the entire field. Teams have figured out the best way to minimize Rodgers is to collapse the inside of the pocket and force him to scramble to one side of the field. It minimizes the area he can throw to and he leads the league in throw away passes out of play.
In addition to DL stunts up the middle, Trevathan should be sent as well. That leaves Roquan with initial middle of the field coverage responsibilities and then release and go after Rodgers like a missile when he is flushed to a side. His speed should be perfect to get the job done.

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
I don't see the point of comparing the two really.

Eddie Jackson is better than Jamal Adams, but are the Jets upset they didn't take Jackson at 1.6 in 2017? Lol no. You just want to draft good players who can make impact plays. Getting into this business of "well THIS guy plays the position and looks marginally better! We should have taken him!" is silly.

I expect, barring injury, these two to have fairly comparable careers. The real stud is Jaylon Smith, who may already be the best linebacker in football.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I don't see the point of comparing the two really.

Eddie Jackson is better than Jamal Adams, but are the Jets upset they didn't take Jackson at 1.6 in 2017? Lol no. You just want to draft good players who can make impact plays. Getting into this business of "well THIS guy plays the position and looks marginally better! We should have taken him!" is silly.

I expect, barring injury, these two to have fairly comparable careers. The real stud is Jaylon Smith, who may already be the best linebacker in football.

You clearly didn't grasp the point of the thread.

I simply wanted to see if Bears fans are as excited about Quan as Cowboys fans are about LVE.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I really didn't see much of that in this thread.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Remember how lost Fangio's D looked with Trevathan sidelined last year? Trevathan was looking like a guy at the end of his career and I was worried a completely unprepared Smith would be forced to take over too soon. As it is, Trevathan is healthy enough and playing great football and Smith is developing nicely behind him. He's becoming increasingly clear about his assignments, making some impact plays, and no longer looks lost in coverage. The thing I've most noticed about Smith's game is how hard he hits without getting flagged - if that keeps up and his range improves teams are going to have the middle of the field taken away. I don't know if he'll ever be in the same conversation with Butkus, Singletary, or Urlacher, but it's pretty clear his floor is high enough to stop worrying about him.

HoosierDaddy

Liked Posts:
Traylor and Washington were signed in his second year. He definitely flashed his rookie season, but that was on a much worse defense

My mistake on Washington and Traylor. Urlacher did play well his rookie year after he was moved to middle backer which he should have been at from the start.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Remember how lost Fangio's D looked with Trevathan sidelined last year? Trevathan was looking like a guy at the end of his career and I was worried a completely unprepared Smith would be forced to take over too soon. As it is, Trevathan is healthy enough and playing great football and Smith is developing nicely behind him. He's becoming increasingly clear about his assignments, making some impact plays, and no longer looks lost in coverage. The thing I've most noticed about Smith's game is how hard he hits without getting flagged - if that keeps up and his range improves teams are going to have the middle of the field taken away. I don't know if he'll ever be in the same conversation with Butkus, Singletary, or Urlacher, but it's pretty clear his floor is high enough to stop worrying about him.

I don't think too many are "worried" about him. I just wasn't sure how many are "excited" about him.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Haven't watched Vander Esch to compare but im not completely sold Smith is going to be a superstar, game changing type of player either on the level of an Urlacher. What Smith looks like right now is a solid player who belongs in the NFL but he doesn't really seem to ever be very noticeable during games. He is using his speed to get to the ball carriers and jump on piles to pad his tackle numbers. Every game he ends up leading or near the team lead in tackles yet watching the game you only notice him a few times. He doesn't look like a difference maker yet.

Right now I'd say his ceiling is Danny Trevathan. The Bears basically used the number 8 pick in the draft to take a younger Trevathan.
He leads the team in SOLO tackles, that is not someone who Lands on the pile to up his tackles stats. I'm not sure what you're watching, the last couple of weeks he had made plays that make him look like he can be an elite LB'er in this league

Sent from my RCT6703W13 using Tapatalk

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Has he? Not really sure about that. LVE has more tackles. Quan has more sacks. They're both playing very well.

Not complaining either.... just wondering if Bears fans have that same "a star is born" feeling with Roquan that they have in Dallas with LVE.

Don't forget that Roquan signed his contract late and didn't start for the first 2-3 games and played a very minimal amount in those game behind Kwiat.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Roquan is more a David Lavonte/Derrick Brooks type LB. Leighton is a poor mans luke Keickly.
Roquan can play OLB in a 4-3 scheme, Leighton is less athletic and is strickly ILB.

ESPN loves the cowboys and patriots BTW.

Lavonte David....just sayin...lol

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
The guy is a tackling machine and is developing in coverage. What more can you expect from a rookie that was holding out all offseason? I think we are lucky he fell to us