Every Pass and Rush by Trubs agains Minn

Devastator

BANNED
Liked Posts:
A few things I noticed after re watching

Mitch played a better game than I thought. Especially in the 4th Quarter when the Bears needed a drive to keep Minn off the field and chew clock

Mitch and Robinson were not on the same page for most of the night. The play before the 2nd interception Mitch threw a deep 50/50 ball and Robinson didn’t even turn around to attempt a catch. That could have been a huge play.

Our offensive line did a horrible job of pass blocking all night. It was masked a lot by our play-calling

What are your thoughts after re watching?

https://youtu.be/0cZr9XkPVhE

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I thought he played really well. This was SNF playing a really tough Vikings D coming off of their bye. 1st place on the line.

Big stakes, and Mazerati Mitch stepped up and delivered. Not a perfect performance, but a really good one.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
7:40 is where Trubisky takes the late hit, he takes it on the left shoulder but put his right arm out when sliding. The play cuts out but he gets up slow.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
A few things I noticed after re watching

Mitch played a better game than I thought. Especially in the 4th Quarter when the Bears needed a drive to keep Minn off the field and chew clock

Mitch and Robinson were not on the same page for most of the night. The play before the 2nd interception Mitch threw a deep 50/50 ball and Robinson didn’t even turn around to attempt a catch. That could have been a huge play.

Our offensive line did a horrible job of pass blocking all night. It was masked a lot by our play-calling

What are your thoughts after re watching?

https://youtu.be/0cZr9XkPVhE

Despite what is being posted on CCS, I've thought the Bears pass blocking has been below average all year based on what I've seen. I've been amazed at what Trubisky has done in the pocket, as there is no consistency as to where the 'leakage' occurs...sometimes a DE blows by Massie, sometimes a blitzer comes untouched up the middle...to me that is the most impressive aspect of Trubisky's game against the Vikes, if Cutler had been in the same circumstances the game would have turned into a rout for Minnesota.

As for the 'late hit' on Trubisky by Harrison Smith, I don't agree with the terminology. Trubisky kind of did a late, half-ass slide where he basically falls down sideways right in front of Smith. Definitely not a feet-first slide, and the penalty flag was just typical NFL/Goodell nonsense. As is normally the case, Trubisky would have been better off not even attempting to slide and instead ran into Smith.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Despite what is being posted on CCS, I've thought the Bears pass blocking has been below average all year based on what I've seen. I've been amazed at what Trubisky has done in the pocket, as there is no consistency as to where the 'leakage' occurs...sometimes a DE blows by Massie, sometimes a blitzer comes untouched up the middle...to me that is the most impressive aspect of Trubisky's game against the Vikes, if Cutler had been in the same circumstances the game would have turned into a rout for Minnesota.

As for the 'late hit' on Trubisky by Harrison Smith, I don't agree with the terminology. Trubisky kind of did a late, half-ass slide where he basically falls down sideways right in front of Smith. Definitely not a feet-first slide, and the penalty flag was just typical NFL/Goodell nonsense. As is normally the case, Trubisky would have been better off not even attempting to slide and instead ran into Smith.

The rules are different for QBs. If a QB gives himself up, it doesn’t matter if he slides or goes headfirst. You can’t hit him. It was a cheap shot.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I thought he recovered well from a couple of INTs that he just shouldn't have thrown. He played well enough to win, while Minnesota's 84 million dollar man, got some garbage time touchdowns. You look at the stats, and it looks like Mitch got outplayed, but that's not the case.

I expect that as he continues to grow, a game like that will result in less INTs from him. And you have to give credit to Minnesota's defense. They were blanketing WRs all night.

But as I see it, even though he threw for under 200 yards for only 1 TD and 2 INTs, he got us so many key first downs while Minnesota's defense was breathing down his neck and covering our receivers. The 2 2-pt conversions were huge. He hurt Minnesota with this ability to run, and that pass and catch with Miller for the TD was brilliant.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
The rules are different for QBs. If a QB gives himself up, it doesn’t matter if he slides or goes headfirst. You can’t hit him. It was a cheap shot.

You can't hit a QB if he dives headfirst? Please cite this rule change.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

I know the rules just use Google if you need a source. If you want to be a douche, at least know what you’re talking about.

Visionman

Liked Posts:

Oh please. Smith knew Trubs was sliding yet still came in low leading with the shoulder intending to hit him while he was sliding. The "new rule" is that QBs can give themselves up by sliding head first as well. Smith made a stupid decision.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Oh please. Smith knew Trubs was sliding yet still came in low leading with the shoulder intending to hit him while he was sliding. The "new rule" is that QBs can give themselves up by sliding head first as well. Smith made a stupid decision.

Thanks.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
What you're referring to used to be ok. At some point it did change although I'm not sure when or what season it took affect.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I know the rules just use Google if you need a source. If you want to be a douche, at least know what you’re talking about.

Thanks. I still think Trubisky (and all QBs) would be better off not sliding than sliding late/half-ass.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
The announcers said as much during the game. Chris Colinsworth. Not sure if true though.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2018-rules-changes-and-points-of-emphasis/

“PROTECTION OF RUNNERS WHO GIVE THEMSELVES UP

The Committee clarified the protections for sliding quarterbacks and any runner who gives himself up:

If a runner (including a quarterback) gives himself up, then he is down where the first body part touches the ground. The runner should not benefit from additional yardage after the first body part touches. Defenders do not have to go down to initiate contact to stop a runner from gaining more yards after he contacts the ground.
Quarterbacks and all runners must give themselves up early, and if a defender has committed to a tackle, contact may occur. However, that contact cannot be late or to the head or neck area of the player who gave himself up.
A quarterback does not have to slide feet first to be considered to be giving himself up. Regardless whether the slide is feet first or head first, as long as he gives himself up, he should receive the protections afforded to him as a player in a defenseless posture.”

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Thanked on the 1st paragraph. Mitch is making the pass blocking look better.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Rory, you make a really good point. I think the OL has been average at best all season, but the real problem is that they all take turns messing up. The only guy who has played with much consistency is Leno, and he had a dog of a game against Buffalo. There is no way for Mitch to know where it is coming from.

If we had Kirk Cousins, my god we would give up some serious sacks.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Watching it a 2nd time he made 3 bad throws, pressure effected them and he was retreating while throwing on 2 of them.

1. The Rhodes almost pick was just bad from the word go.
2. Robinson pick he is moving back and throws to where he expects Robinson to be, but he is dominated on the rep
3. Deep pick, too much of a risk, but was a dime ball

Other than that he was good and he broke the Vikings with his running. The pass rush noticeably slows down in the 2nd half because they do not want to lose Trubisky.

A couple of throws he made were really nice. The TD on the move with a LB closing into his face. The roll out conversion to Gabriel where he goes over the underneath WRs heads. Both 3rd down conversions in the 4th were tight window throws.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2018-rules-changes-and-points-of-emphasis/

“PROTECTION OF RUNNERS WHO GIVE THEMSELVES UP

The Committee clarified the protections for sliding quarterbacks and any runner who gives himself up:

If a runner (including a quarterback) gives himself up, then he is down where the first body part touches the ground. The runner should not benefit from additional yardage after the first body part touches. Defenders do not have to go down to initiate contact to stop a runner from gaining more yards after he contacts the ground.
Quarterbacks and all runners must give themselves up early, and if a defender has committed to a tackle, contact may occur. However, that contact cannot be late or to the head or neck area of the player who gave himself up.
A quarterback does not have to slide feet first to be considered to be giving himself up. Regardless whether the slide is feet first or head first, as long as he gives himself up, he should receive the protections afforded to him as a player in a defenseless posture.”

Thanks. I was not up-to-date on my rules. I feel like Phil Simms.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Thanks. I was not up-to-date on my rules. I feel like Phil Simms.

It was a new point of emphasis this year. Also, apparently if the QB gives himself up falling forward and loses the ball [Eli Manning] it is not a fumble.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
It was a new point of emphasis this year. Also, apparently if the QB gives himself up falling forward and loses the ball [Eli Manning] it is not a fumble.

I think the rule itself will lead to more injuries...the QB will do half-ass/late 'slides' thinking they are protected by rule (Hochuli voice), yet the defender will deliver the hit anyways because he is trying to stop the QB. In Trubisky's case, he had been killing the Vikings defense with his scrambles all game long. They run a read option and Trubisky keeps the ball, I'm guessing the Vikings are going all-out to stop him.