What if the Mike Glennon Experiment actually worked in 2017?

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
What if Mike Glennon played well when given the opportunity in 2017, as per Pace's design...would the Bears be 7-3 in 2018?

The Boletarian

Liked Posts:
A lot of factors could come into effect. How "well" are we talking? What do you consider the 2017 team's record would have been?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I still think they would have played Trubisky this year. Trubisky might have been slightly behind his development because of this, but not too much since it was a new system anyway. They might just have been able to work out a trade for Glennon since we had him for another year.

Big thing though is we never would have gotten Mack. Raiders thought we were gonna be worse than the Bills lol.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
A lot of factors could come into effect. How "well" are we talking? What do you consider the 2017 team's record would have been?

Lets say everything remains the same...Bears 2017 record is still 5-11, Pace still signs Mack in the offseason, but Trubisky had spent the entire 2017 as a backup.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
There’s only so much a QB can do with Dion Sims, Tre McBride, Victor Cruz and the pick of the litter, Josh Bellamy...

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
There’s only so much a QB can do with Dion Sims, Tre McBride, Victor Cruz and the pick of the litter, Josh Bellamy...

If Bellamy catches Glennon's pass against Atlanta, history is changed! Butterfly Bellamy Effect!

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
What if Mike Glennon played well when given the opportunity in 2017, as per Pace's design...would the Bears be 7-3 in 2018?
I think the entire point of the Glennon deal and then drafting Trubisky was to trade Glennon in the off-season for high picks and start Trubisky this year

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I still think they would have played Trubisky this year. Trubisky might have been slightly behind his development because of this, but not too much since it was a new system anyway.

I think a major disaster was avoided. I think Trubisky playing last year was the best thing possible for the Bears...having him do nothing and be 'mentored' by Mark Sanchez was worthless. Being stuck behind Glennon made no sense. Its interesting to me how it all ended up working out, but not following Pace's plan.

The Boletarian

Liked Posts:
Lets say everything remains the same...Bears 2017 record is still 5-11, Pace still signs Mack in the offseason, but Trubisky had spent the entire 2017 as a backup.

I think they may still be around the same record, maybe 6-4, because Mitch would have 12 less games of experience to draw from. If we thought the offense started off slowly this year with him having 12 games under his belt, how bad would it start off with him having 0?

Now if you said the team went like 8-8 that would have changed a lot. I'm not sure Fox gets fired if that happens and so on right down the line.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I think a major disaster was avoided. I think Trubisky playing last year was the best thing possible for the Bears...having him do nothing and be 'mentored' by Mark Sanchez was worthless. Being stuck behind Glennon made no sense. Its interesting to me how it all ended up working out, but not following Pace's plan.

If we actually go through the games played, I think the defense gets us the 7 wins we have even if Trubisky is less experienced and even more of a game manager.

The only game where I think Trubisky outplayed the defense was Miami and we lost that one anyway.

The Boletarian

Liked Posts:
I think the entire point of the Glennon deal and then drafting Trubisky was to trade Glennon in the off-season for high picks and start Trubisky this year

I think you're right. Glennon was supposed to be a stop gap. He just sucked so bad they had to go with Trubisky. I personally think Pace should have kept Hoyer and Barkley for another year and let Mitch sit behind them. At least they both had experience in the system.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
As a QB, you can be slow footed if you have great pocket awareness. (Tom Brady, Peyton Manning)
On the other end, speed can mask bad pocket awareness. (Deshaun Watson)

If you are slow footed and have bad pocket awareness, you are Mike Glennon.

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Part of the appeal of Glennon was the Bears ability to carry over a bunch of cap flexibility from the 2017 off-season to the 2018 off-season by signing him to what was essentially a 1-year deal.